Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #3916
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
why?

it's a very understressed engine with a low rpm threshold in normal use - they should stay put forever. Checking them won't take any time, easy to get to them.

would you rather have screw and locknut that you have to check every 7,500 miles?
I agree,my 82 CB900F has shims and they haven't budged in 15K miles,I would love to see somebody rack up some big miles and check the cam chains though.Like to see how the tensioners hold up.The old system was a weak point.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #3917
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,757
Bought a DR 650 and H2 750 instead. I am letting Pete have all the fun with the Norton...

Quote:
how goes the Norton search Mike?

I see your buddy in Wisconsin had one given to him to restore...
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #3918
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:

ZRX1100 / ZRX1200....which was not a sales flop, nor was the Bandit.
The Bandit I'm referring to is the 1200 without the fairing. AFAIK was only sold for 1 or 2 years (2000/2001 or 2001/2002.)

Suzuki must have dropped it for a reason and I assume the reason is because the Bandit with the fairing outsold it by quite a bit.

Ditto for the Kawasaki ZR-7. Was sold in both faired (ZR-7S) and unfaired (ZR-7) models but the unfaired bike was only sold for a short time before being dropped. Assuming that big companies like Kawasaki don't get where they are by leaving money on the table, I can only figure that they dropped the naked ZR-7 because of disappointing sales.

Also, at the risk of being pedantic, the ZRX-1100 and 1200 both had fairings. Small, fork-mounted "bikini" type fairings, but they still had fairings. The truly "naked" (no-fairing and round headlight) ZRX was never sold in the US (although I know a lot of people who had ZRX's were able to "convert" them to the round headlight pretty easily.)

I don't know why but I've never liked fairings on bikes. Even though I understand the benefits, I still don't like them. Windshields I'm OK with, but I just don't like fairings of any kind. I've ridden quite a few faired bikes but I've never owned one.

ZappBranigan screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 07:24 AM
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #3919
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190

According to Honda Japan, the EX makes a couple more hp, but loses a couple of torque.

Omarius screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 06:14 AM
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #3920
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarius View Post
That looks darn good CLEAN, but it would take five minutes of riding to make a black bike look filthy.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #3921
none
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
A clean bike is the sign of a mental disorder.
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #3922
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,464
In my twisted mind, a clean bike is a sign of a biker not a rider.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #3923
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
A clean bike is the sign of a mental disorder.
A well known RTW motorcyclist gave a talk at a BMW dealer ship in Seattle, just after he started living there.
This was in the early 90's

He took great delight in making fun of the people who were riding around on bikes with dirt from their Alaska trip still covering much of the bike, like some kind of badge of honor.

A dirty bike just shows that they owner is too lazy to clean it, and make sure it's functioning.

A showroom bike especially with more then 10,000 miles, that's the sign of mental disorder.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #3924
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Bikes are jewelry to some and tools to others.

Mine is a tool and has not been washed in the year I have had it. I don't ride in the mud and it stays outside all summer so the rain gets it. Just the shield and the headlight lens once in a while.

Back in my younger days when I had a new sportbike every season I would wash them weekly.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #3925
736cc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Not keeping your motorcycle maintaned with regular cleaning is a sign of neglect and poor hygiene. And what's safer, a clean bike that's correctly gone over carefully before riding, or a dirty bike that's allowed to deteriorate?
736cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #3926
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Mine is a tool and has not been washed in the year I have had it. I don't ride in the mud and it stays outside all summer so the rain gets it. Just the shield and the headlight lens once in a while.
That seems contradictory. My tools are cleaned and put away properly. Cleaning is really the most basic maintenance for a car or bike; I don't need to be able to eat off mine, but I want to be able to see where a leak starts or where a crack or break is forming.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #3927
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
That was my 1st street legal bike at 28 years old in 03,an 02 zr7sUnfortunately I slid it out on sand thru a turn in glover Vt a year later on a big sweeper, memorial Day Weekend,Thank god I was only going 45 got it down to 35 bike did a violent tank slapper an pitched me off I rolled like a turtle spun around and slid about 100 or so feet. Thank god for wearing my leathers and protective gear gloves helmet,boots.I scratched my side wear jacket rode up on me,road rashed it and besides putting a hole in my boot n getting bruised wear I got slammed on my side where wallet hit onto road I was fine.Bike was busted and next day went to church and ductaped it back together and road into magog Canada,came back bike got totaled I was so glad to wake up and walk away from the wreck even tho At the time I wasn't worried bout me I was like Holy hell now my weekend is over to ride was all I could think.I bought a well maintained Cb 700sc and now Im eyeing my buddies zrx punched out to 1400 cc,just have to find the dosh for it.Naked bikes like naked chicks rule.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #3928
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
why?

it's a very understressed engine with a low rpm threshold in normal use - they should stay put forever. Checking them won't take any time, easy to get to them.

would you rather have screw and locknut that you have to check every 7,500 miles?
Yes matter of fact I would,at least the screw and nut won't cost me any extra. It's not if,it's when the shims will need to be replaced.....how many valves again in this engine.......yea,I thought so.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #3929
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,693
Local dealer has a 13 with 3800 miles on it, 8200.00; I have a 500x that's a hoot to ride, but I can't shake the 1100 from my mind.

The Ride for Trevor:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941454
Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #3930
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Don't listen to the dark side Luke.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote