Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Once again I turn to you studly adventures for advice. How does the T63 compare to the D606 and MT21 as far a wear and performance? I need a new rear tire for the WR250R. I like the 606 (120/90X18) but I don't want to deal with the height as I'm at my limit now. The T63 comes in my size (120/80X18) and looks to be aggressive enough. I heard the MT21 wears fast so I'm ready to cross that one off my list. Thanks
I run K270 rears, IRC TR8 fronts, AMS Sand Snake MX non-DOT front knobs, and T63 rears.

A TR8 front and T63 rear is a combo that will take you all over, pavement or dirt, for cheap. Swap the T63 rear to a K270 rear if you want max mileage vs better mud/sand propulsion and less squirm. Many people don't like the squirm of the K270 when leaned on pavement. I don't even notice the squirm when running just a rear, and the K270 gets me around pretty well in the sand and mud, for what it is.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 197
MT21 vs. 606

Obviously, it all depends on how you use the bike. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider and managed to get 3900mi on my 690ER out of an MT21 rear. I'm thinkin' probably 40% dirt - forest roads/two track. I spooned on a 908 I had with some life left that spent most of its time on my SE. The paired MT21 front is now sitting at ~4400mi. I'm guessing it'll run another 600mi before it's shot and the salvaged 908, too. It's probably obvious that I run my tires all the way down, but that's yet to be a problem.
I know it's expensive, but I have to say I prefer the 908 (Rear) over the MT21. I've run the 908/606 (R/F) on my SE pretty much since the beginning and have gotten 3500mi/4500mi (R/F). The 908 I've now got on my 690 really works well, even though it's getting a bit thin. It's a great tire for the lighter bike.
A bit off topic, but I did make the mistake of putting a set Heidi Scouts on the SE. I found them to be fine for the road, but pretty miserable almost everywhere else, especially the front. I'm sure a more capable rider would have a better time, but that ain't me. I didn't even get the great mileage I was supposed to get. If memory serves, it was just under 4K for the set.
I've never run the T63, but the Mitas E07 or E09 might be something to throw into the mix. I've read good things about them. No personal experience, though.
Kind of rambling, sorry. My take is that the MT21 and the 606 are comparable tires for my riding and the difference in life is not significant. The MT21 is noisier on the highway. The price difference has been negligible.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
I'm the OP, I ended up going with the T63's. My riding is 60% dirt and they worked just fine. The knobs are spaced far apart and I thought they'd be noisy and vibrate some but they were smooth and quite. I wish I had the milage numbers with me but I don't. I'm guessing I'll have about 4,000 on them when they get replaced. Good tire, no complaints. My next set will be the Pirelli MT43's. I heard great things about them and mounted a set on my Beta trials bike just to try them out. So far I'm pleased with them and I can see no reason not to put them on the WR.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Wear isnt a concern for me, only traction. I prefer the 606s, but like the t63 if im doing a bit more pavement. Mt21s are ok but not as good offroad as the 606 and not as good on road as the t63. These are the only three tires i would consider, though everyone has different wants and needs

2 cents
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #20
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I'm the OP, I ended up going with the T63's. My riding is 60% dirt and they worked just fine. The knobs are spaced far apart and I thought they'd be noisy and vibrate some but they were smooth and quite. I wish I had the milage numbers with me but I don't. I'm guessing I'll have about 4,000 on them when they get replaced. Good tire, no complaints. My next set will be the Pirelli MT43's. I heard great things about them and mounted a set on my Beta trials bike just to try them out. So far I'm pleased with them and I can see no reason not to put them on the WR.
You don't want to use MT 43s for Adventure travel with any kind of luggage load, they will come apart due to the soft sidewall... I have even seen them suffer a failure on a lightly loaded bike traveling on a smooth hwy, the heat build up along with the soft carcass killed them..

There a great tire if your running light and doing lots trail and slower riding...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote