ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #91
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
That's how you make a video! Some of that looked gnarly for an adventure bike. Was thinking about the 800 but I think I would have more fun on the KTM. As long as you don't pass me.
Go big or go home
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #92
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
Great video. You were really throwing it down, what was your average speed?
My total time was 3:16 for 50miles. Subtract 15-20min waiting in queue to officially cross the finish line and I *think* second wave riders still have the same start time as the first wave guys despite starting 15mins after (I'm sure one of the Stumpjumpers in the thread can clarify). So 2:40 for 50miles = 20mph-ish. Getting caught up in a few bottle necks and having sub-par cardio definitely slowed things down. Certainly not blazing fast and I can see lots of places I could have and should have been a lot faster but like I said, happy to just finish that race, it was a battle on a 500lb bike. I got beat up! Felt like I got hit by a truck when I finished

Jeremy and Radik were 2:36 and 2:48. They (and Darryl) are on a different level. I'm playing touch football and they are playing in the Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
That's how you make a video! Some of that looked gnarly for an adventure bike. Was thinking about the 800 but I think I would have more fun on the KTM. As long as you don't pass me.
There were some sections that were a bit daunting on the big bike but nothing super crazy. It felt pretty good passing dirtbikes in some of the technical sections (of course I had a ton of them pass me too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregulator View Post
Ok yup, after that video I'm definitely doing the race. Nice.
The more the merrier! It'd be cool to have a couple dozen guys in the ADV class, would certainly attract some more prize donations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
If I were to race the ADV class, the 690 would be the way to go.
Out of curiosity, how did you guys come up with the 652cc min as the class guideline, rather than say twins or minimum weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Nice video! Were you using your horn much??
I didn't think about it until after, I should have been using it whenever I passed someone. That'll happen this year.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #93
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
There will be at least 2 of us coming down for the ADV class (2xF800gs), a couple others on the fence.

The race last year was a blast and I can't wait for this year's event.

Nice video! Is this the ADV ride, DS ride, or the 100 miler?
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #94
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoebster View Post
Nice video! Is this the ADV ride, DS ride, or the 100 miler?
Racing in the ADV class on Sunday (one 50mile lap).

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 AM   #95
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:

The more the merrier! It'd be cool to have a couple dozen guys in the ADV class, would certainly attract some more prize donations

I would like to see it, after two years of giving away prizes to the same guys we are bowing out this year. We need more than 5 guys to have a good race

Out of curiosity, how did you guys come up with the 652cc min as the class guideline, rather than say twins or minimum weight?

The idea was to race real ADV bikes not Xr650's the 652 cc rule allowed most all the smaller cc ADV bikes in but kept the Honda Baja killer out.
We didn't want any sandbaggers

I Hope everyone has a good time.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #96
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
I Hope everyone has a good time.
From my understanding you were the one that came up with the idea of the class. You get a big thumbs up from me. Finishing the D100 last year was by far the biggest sense of accomishment I've had on a bike ever. It was challenging, fun, miserable, exciting and exhausting all at once. I can't speak for everyone but I definitely had a good time

Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #97
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From my understanding you were the one that came up with the idea of the class. You get a big thumbs up from me. Finishing the D100 last year was by far the biggest sense of accomishment I've had on a bike ever. It was challenging, fun, miserable, exciting and exhausting all at once. I can't speak for everyone but I definitely had a good time
Thanks I was, I wanted to race my 950 and had hopes others would as well, I suggested the idea to Mx813 who got it passed with the club. My company sponsored the class then and the next year.
The first year things looked good with almost 15 racers, but almost everyone bailed when race day rolled around, Too bad, that was the best conditions Ive ever seen at the 100. last year we had 5 or so racers.
again after many more talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk
At that pace I don't see the need for a class and something that Im not really interested in.

From what I understand this year the ADV class will have an even bigger purse then what Cyclops was able to offer. Maybe that will entice a few guys??
Hopefully there is a good turnout of ADV class racers this year. Its doable on big bikes and should give the racers in this class a real feeling of accomplishment, at least the guys on 800 plus cc bikes.
1-800-624-0278
Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #98
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Thanks I was, I wanted to race my 950 and had hopes others would as well, I suggested the idea to Mx813 who got it passed with the club. My company sponsored the class then and the next year.
The first year things looked good with almost 15 racers, but almost everyone bailed when race day rolled around, Too bad, that was the best conditions Ive ever seen at the 100. last year we had 5 or so racers.
again after many more talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk
At that pace I don't see the need for a class and something that Im not really interested in.

From what I understand this year the ADV class will have an even bigger purse then what Cyclops was able to offer. Maybe that will entice a few guys??
Hopefully there is a good turnout of ADV class racers this year. Its doable on big bikes and should give the racers in this class a real feeling of accomplishment, at least the guys on 800 plus cc bikes.
I have been hassling all my big bike friends to come for this years event even if just for the Saturday DS ride. I think now that word has gotten out a bit more the numbers should be better. The only reason I knew about it was because of the video Touratech did on their F800 in 2012. It happened to pop up in my YouTube suggestions. Every adv bike event I go to I tell people about it and show them my video in hopes of sparking interest.

I'll be down with a friend also on an F800 and have a few others sitting on the fence. After the experience last year I'll be down every year that I can.

I offered up a Camel Tank as a prize this year.

You said something like past years winners are bowing out? You mentioned you were in Death Valley. No Jeremy or Radek either?

Camel ADV screwed with this post 02-10-2014 at 12:48 PM
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #99
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have been hassling all my big bike friends to come for this years event even if just for the Saturday DS ride. I think now that word has gotten out a bit more the numbers should be better. The only reason I knew about it was because of the video Touratech did on their F800 in 2012. It happened to pop up in my YouTube suggestions. Every adv bike event I go to I tell people about it and show them my video in hopes of sparking interest.

I'll be down with a friend also on an F800 and have a few others sitting on the fence. After the experience last year I'll be down every year that I can.

You said something like past years winners are bowing out? You mentioned you were in Death Valley. No Jeremy or Radek either?
Im sure the stumpjumpers would love your contribution, I don't have anything to do with the club, so I cant comment much. I hear there is a pretty sweet cash offering from another sponsor.

Im most likely a no show, Last I talked to Jeremy, he was selling his bike, don't know if he ever did. I also don't know about Radek
1-800-624-0278
Old 02-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #100
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:

I would love to ride the big bike over for the DS event, but unless people have a trailer, getting over the passes in early April is very iffy.

Ask Radek about the Donner Party next time you see him.

Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #101
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
In the FWIW category, there will be a DS area set aside for those who may want to ride in and tent it, it will be at the entrance area to the right, kind of away from the crowds. This year the generator will be better positioned and in a box to muffle the already quiet Yami 2k. Saturday eve we will have chili dogs until they are gone. Stop in, share some lies and get prepped to ride the DS in the race. We'll have plenty of tools, lights for the dark hours (we don't mind being up late to help a fellow off road rider), and a blender for those who may wants an adult beverage (BYOL).
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #102
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Last year was my first at odessa, and I ran my xr650l in the Ironman on sunday.

I just purchased a Ktm 690 enduro, and could be interested in doing the ADV class on sunday. I won't win but it could be a lot of fun.

How much more crazy is the Desert 100 than the Ironman ride?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #103
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post

I just purchased a Ktm 690 enduro, and could be interested in doing the ADV class on sunday. I won't win but it could be a lot of fun.

The race is about 10-20% more crazy than the Ironman ride in my opinion. Fewer people, fewer children, but they usually throw in a little more challenging terrain.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #104
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250 View Post
The race is about 10-20% more crazy than the Ironman ride in my opinion. Fewer people, fewer children, but they usually throw in a little more challenging terrain.
Great... thanks!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #105
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Ironman VS D100...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post

I think you mean you did the Ironman Poker Run on Saturday last year ....right? The title of the event says it all. The Poker Run is a ride, the D100 is a race. No one will be using your body or your bike for traction on Saturday's ride like they would during the race. Completely different mind set needed to race. If you're looking for a percentage of intensity difference in the two events....I'd say it's more like.....70% more intense on race day. I'm not saying not to do it....it is a great test of skill and stamina, just go into it with your eyes wide open......and good luck to you if you decide to race! The good news is the ADV class is only one lap (50miles)
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote