Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #16
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,562
The only place I was ever worried about anything was Oakland California, and it was my life, not my stuff that I was concerned about.

Thieves have to ask themselves, do they want to risk being confronted by the person that rides a bike like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #17
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
California to Seward AK round trip via Dawson City, 21 days and not a problem with the bags, I take the valuables in a small bag and the rest stays with the bike.

achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #18
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
I don't believe anyone between Alaska and Colorado would steal anything.
Yup, nothing to worry about.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #19
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 134
While sleeping i use on of this mini Alarm Systems to be shure nobody can steel anything without waking me up:

http://www.amazon.de/Elro-SC07-Mini-...venturetrav-21
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
I agree with a bike cover. out of sight and that stop some of opportunity type theft by 50% or more. Pack safe it good to. Taking Valuables with you and making gps etc hard to just up and walk away with. As someone else said if you can afford to lose it then don't bring it. As for someone stealing your bike and kit all at once a cheap phone tucked away with software prey etc will help you trace it thorough the cell phone GPS. Some software allows you to set it up that if it moves x feet from x spot it texts you.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 AM   #21
Anywhereness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
When I first started touring, I was was super paranoid about things getting lifted from my bike. I have Ortlieb panniers, a 42L hiking backpack as my tail bag and a tank bag.

But, as time wore on I realized that really day to day, nobody is going to go explore your bags as you wander into into a store or coffee shop, as long as you park smartly. Interestingly, park it where there's a lot of foot traffic in and out and you can see the bike from inside the store. Having lots of people around is quite the deterrent to thieves.

Also, don't ride at night.

When I'm stopping for the night at a cheap grungy motel, I usually bring my bags in. If I'm staying with someone and it's a nice neighborhood, I usually just leave it strapped to the bike. I've got a disc lock and a cable lock around someplace to lock the bike up at night.

If it's someplace really sketchy but I'm parking to go take a piss or eat, I'll often just bring my tank bag in, which has the easy to filch valuables.

www.anywhereness.org
Anywhereness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #22
DirtDancer
Slidin' Downhill

Oddometer: 90
whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung3 View Post
California to Seward AK round trip via Dawson City, 21 days and not a problem with the bags, I take the valuables in a small bag and the rest stays with the bike.

achy, where do you sit on that thing? or do you just stand all the way? lol
DirtDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #23
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
You have waaay to much shit on that bike, dude. Time to purge,seriously.

I toured for years with soft bags. Never locked anything ,never lost anything.

Relax, and ride your ride. People are fundamentally good. Who HASN'T left thier keys in the ignition or a bag lock?

You're in NA, nothing will happen.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #24
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,718
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages...PNumber=998600

These retract to fit tight around a bag. Light duty but if someone can cut this cable they can cut a big cable. I try to park the bike in sight when going in a business.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #25
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Ride through mud. Get your bags good and grungy. Image is everything. If it looks grungy and likely full of dirty underwear and worse, swampy socks, they won't mess with it.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #26
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDancer View Post
achy, where do you sit on that thing? or do you just stand all the way? lol

I packed way too much crap for the trip! Lesson learned.

But I still had space for my fat butt!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
Ednukey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskan dude View Post
I am planning a trip from Anchorage! Alaska to Colorado this summer and am trying to figure out the best way to keep my soft luggage from being stolen from my Wee when away from the bike. I use an older version of the Giant Loop Great Basin bag with a large mouth dry bag on the rear rack. Was thinking of just wrapping a large bike cable around it all till tight then lock it up with a good padlock. It would kinda look like something from the Stone Ages, anyone got any better ideas ? Thanks.
I had a bag with all my clothes and most of my camping gear, stolen in Tok, in the summer of 2010, during a 41 day motorbike trip. I had a waterproof gear bag wrapped with a cable, kinda like you describe. I woke-up, and the cable was still there, minus the bag. I was sleeping maybe 20 ft from the bike.

I took a six month trip the following year, and used a Pacsafe (as recommended by another commenter). I would highly recommend it. Takes longer and is more of a pain to cut through.

That theft was my first whilst traveling. Since then, I've had a helmet stolen from behind my back while fixing a flat tire in Trapper Creek, and a pair of riding gloves stolen off of my gas tank in Chicken, while I was about 30 feet away getting fish and chips at that gas station/restaurant/campground place.

So, I guess my point is...I never had anything stolen in many years of travel, then had three things stolen in two trips - all in AK...
Ednukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #28
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednukey View Post
I had a bag with all my clothes and most of my camping gear, stolen in Tok, in the summer of 2010, during a 41 day motorbike trip. I had a waterproof gear bag wrapped with a cable, kinda like you describe. I woke-up, and the cable was still there, minus the bag. I was sleeping maybe 20 ft from the bike.

I took a six month trip the following year, and used a Pacsafe (as recommended by another commenter). I would highly recommend it. Takes longer and is more of a pain to cut through.

That theft was my first whilst traveling. Since then, I've had a helmet stolen from behind my back while fixing a flat tire in Trapper Creek, and a pair of riding gloves stolen off of my gas tank in Chicken, while I was about 30 feet away getting fish and chips at that gas station/restaurant/campground place.

So, I guess my point is...I never had anything stolen in many years of travel, then had three things stolen in two trips - all in AK...

Pretty sucky!

I guess I was pretty lucky. No lock no cable, nothing and did no loose anything in all my travels, camped in Dawson City, Chcken, Kitwanga, Glennallen.
I also camped around UT and CA State parks.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #29
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Ednukey - quit buying jewel encrusted gear and leaving it unattended :-)

That sucks. It is a good reminder that stuff can happen.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #30
Ednukey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Ednukey - quit buying jewel encrusted gear and leaving it unattended :-)
No jewel encrusted gear here.

I ride a borderline rat-bike versys; and no 'fancy' shit. I was a college student (in my thirties) and then a recently finished college student when I experienced the thefts.

There were fancy GS1200s and other such shit parked nearby, with GPSs, fancy beemer gloves, etc., still attached to them, during two of the three thefts. So, the whole "park near fancier stuff to make your stuff look less enticing" didn't really work, either.

An unfortunate illustration that, in some ways, you almost can't be too careful.

Take precautions to a level which make you feel comfortable, then just take what comes. There are assholes and super nice folks everywhere. After the thefts, the super nice folks helped me in various ways.
Ednukey is offline   Reply With Quote