Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #31
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 339
Get a Garmin, after you have gone about 150 mi. ( or whatever your mileage for approx. 3/4 of a tank is) push the find gas button. There are lots of stations out there you never see. You may have to alter your route slightly but you won't run out, trust me.

dch screwed with this post 02-09-2014 at 06:24 AM
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrigue_262000 View Post
Anyone know of an app for route planning with gas stops added for individual needs? If not, how do you figure out your route with gas stops?
I'm not into the App world, so I just use my trip meter and know the mileage I can get before the bike goes onto reserve. Seems to me that you know that already, so as others have suggested Streets & Trips may help some but it does get confused on back roads sometimes.

If I'm planning a long trip, I take the time to ( yes I use Streets & Trips ) for some of it, road map and then google the location to see what's around and how recent the info is. Anything that looks sketchy I check out further. My BMW R1100R also had fairly short tank range and I had to get gas around every 120 miles, ( that when it would go onto reserve ) so I had to be careful in some areas as there where in excess of 100 miles between places to get gas, and this was on paved number highways in the US.

In others words your wise to preplan, especially if you are going off the beaten track.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #33
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
I'm currently planning a trip from Chicago, IL to roughly Bellingham, WA. My bike has a roughly 70-75 mile range here at home, but probably worse in the mountains.

The website www.gasbuddy.com has a what they call a Gas Price Heat Map, when zoomed in to the 2 miles scale or closer the heat map goes away and the individual station prices become visible. Setting the Time Limit to 96 hours will show you all stations that have recent activity and should be safe bets. Changing the Time Limit to All Stations shows locations that have been recorded in the past, yet have no current updates. In my research most of these stations are still open, but it would be wise to call the ones you think you will really be in need of using.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
Gasbuddy is good, but just remember that if you don't have WiFi or 3g internet service, you won't be able to access it. So the time to look at GasBuddy is not when you are by the side of the road looking for gas because you're almost out. The time to look at it is when you're stopped for gas at a gas station with WiFi or 3g so you can figure out where your next stop will be.

Lots of places out West have no cell coverage at all, and there are even larger areas where there is cell coverage but it's voice only (can't even get your voice mail!) Verizon is the best I've seen for cell coverage but even it doesn't cover everything out West.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote