ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #31
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
652cc rules stands for 2014.

Any bike with displacement greater than 652cc qualifies for the adv class.

Mike

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #32
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,222
I wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with the ADV class rules, I think anybody running a ~650cc bike is doing a pretty good job of running a bigger/heavier bike over some pretty rough trails.

Didn't mean to stir up the hornet nest.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #33
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,235
Same story here. What you are doing is awesome. It was just discussion. I certainly won't have a chance of making podium, and don't care who does. I just want the experience.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #34
SOP Dirt-Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Same story here. What you are doing is awesome. It was just discussion. I certainly won't have a chance of making podium, and don't care who does. I just want the experience.
Podium? Heck, what we need is MORE riders willing to give this a go, if the numbers stay low there is a real chance this goes away. Like AJ, I have no expectation of reaching a podium finish-at Odessa-the podium I am most interested lays between my ears. I'll be a rider in a race, riding my own ride. Yes, I will pass you if you are in my way and if I am in front you better believe "We are in a race"
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #35
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,235

I'm just not yet at the level of what I've personally seen from Radek, Darryl, and Alex. But I sure as hell wanna be closer someday, and that's exactly why I wanna do this !!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #36
SOP Dirt-Rider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:

I'm just not yet at the level of what I've personally seen from Radek, Darryl, and Alex. But I sure as hell wanna be closer someday, and that's exactly why I wanna do this !!
This is REALLY cheesy, but we are doing a DS 201 class on Saturday

'Nuff of that, make sure you stop by the DS area and say howdy (bring your bike so I can loosen half of the spokes)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #37
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:

I don't know about that Jeff, we've had some great rides, get the suspenders worked out and its a game changer.
Im encouraged to hear that several plan on making the race,
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #38
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!

Oddometer: 27
Question Sounds like fun

I would consider joining if I could do it on my 685 KLR and have even contemplated entering with my Super Tenere but I don't think I want to pay to fix it or myself post race.

Do you guys think the course is possible to do on a bike like the S10 or 1200 GSA and still have fun without bending/breaking stuff? I assume with a bunch of money and time both could be made to survive, and it sure would be fun just to go out and finish. Even without engaging "race speed" I bent both rims on my S10 in UT a couple summers ago going over lockhart basin.

PNWRider screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 08:15 PM
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #39
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post

Do you guys think the course is possible to do on a bike like the S10 or 1200 GSA and still have fun without bending/breaking stuff?.
I can't speak for the S10, never ridden one. But I have a GSA, and would never attempt that race or course on my pig. I might if I was 6'5" and 270, all muscle... I would do it on a 950, and was trying to locate an SE to race this year. The 950 is a big heavy dirt bike. I think the GSA is a big heavy street bike with the ability to ride dirt roads.
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #40
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
I would consider joining if I could do it on my 685 KLR and have even contemplated entering with my Super Tenere but I don't think I want to pay to fix it or myself post race.

Do you guys think the course is possible to do on a bike like the S10 or 1200 GSA and still have fun without bending/breaking stuff? I assume with a bunch of money and time both could be made to survive, and it sure would be fun just to go out and finish. Even without engaging "race speed" I bent both rims on my S10 in UT a couple summers ago going over lockhart basin.

I don't think I would, at race pace anyways, unless it was a built up bike. Ride the course and have fun, sure its all what you make of it.
Although they move the course a bit every year, things get beat up more and more, it certainly isn't getting any smoother.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #41
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I'm pretty sure the number is for factory displacement. But there are plenty of other classes to race it in.
Just being hypothetical. I should read and know the rules before I make silly comments.I I am in the same boat as AJ though, I would be happy to race just for the experience. And to see if I could finish in one piece
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #42
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Fat Roach View Post
Just being hypothetical. I should read and know the rules before I make silly comments.I I am in the same boat as AJ though, I would be happy to race just for the experience. And to see if I could finish in one piece
You could enter in one of the other classes that your bike would fit into (open class) and race again real dirt bikes. If you're just looking for the experience and to finish a lap the whether you're competive in that class shouldn't matter.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #43
Wilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Question

Was there a way around the ravine bottle neck last year for the ADV class? I barely made it up that on my 300, had to run over some blokes to make it! Cant imagine on a big bike
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #44
PNWRider
Live an Adventure!

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for the insider info and words of warning. I was not really considering it before but now I want to enter just to stir things up a bit, it would be a shame if it was just a bunch of f800s and KTMs. I might have to give konflict motorsports a call and have some suspension work done.

It sounds like a fun way to test both machine and skill. It probably wont happen this year but maybe someday.

-Ryan
PNWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #45
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
Was there a way around the ravine bottle neck last year for the ADV class? I barely made it up that on my 300, had to run over some blokes to make it! Cant imagine on a big bike
When I got to the ravine there were a few hundred riders sitting and waiting. There were several people riding to the left to bypass but that put you on to the top of a plateau with 8-12ft drop off all around with the exception of a 6' wide set of rock steps that people were trying to walk bikes down, most falling. People were simply pushing bikes off the 8' drop off rather than wait to get down the steps. I didn't see the ravine or hill but the plateau route wasn't a joke either.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote