User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
Red Sand OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
1983 Yamaha XT250

I purchased an '83 Yamaha XT250 for my wife last night. She learned how to ride - just a little bit - on my SV650 ~12 years ago. This will be like learning for the first time for her.

It has less than 4K miles on it and it runs great

Until she gets comfortable with it, I'm going to put on some Shinko 244's and later, we'll get a trailer for our two machines and then I'll put 606's on both bikes.

A lot of people may think it's stupid to buy a motorcycle that's ~31 years old - I understand that - but this is such a cool machine, it was hard to pass up. One of my first real motorcycles was a Yamaha 175 and this one reminds me a lot of that motorcycle.

For her, the good points include a low seat, it's fairly lightweight and will hopefully be very reliable (no radiator, no water pump, valves easy to adjust). She said she was okay with the kick starter.

I have a WR250R and this XT250 is radically different - in just about every way - but the bottom line is that we're planning on having fun with it as I plan on riding it as well.

I'll have photos posted when I get it - it's about an hour away and with knobbies, I really don't want to ride it home. So, I'll get a truck from someone and go get it either later today or next weekend.

Just wanted to share the good news.

Ride safe, ride often, enjoy it!
:)

Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Congrats on the new bike. There is a factory recommended mod that involves putting a roll pin the right side end of the crank to force more oil to the rockers/cam. Some bikes had a problem burning up rockers, and they are no longer available for replacement. If the mod has been done, the bike should have a punch mark dimple above the dash in the engine serial number. There was a factory bulletin describing this procedure.

Some of the top end parts are shared with Yamaha 2 valve ATVs, and lots of the engine parts are shared with the SR250 and BW350. There are a few guys out there that have fitted SR engines to their XTs to gain the electric start.

Good luck and have fun riding with the Mrs.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Red Sand OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric View Post
Congrats on the new bike. There is a factory recommended mod that involves . . .

Good luck and have fun riding with the Mrs.

Thanks very much!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

No worries, I've found that information beyond the basics takes some time to dig up, so I'm happy to share what I've found with a fellow old XT owner. Another good one that I've done is Neo's mods to convert from 6 to 12V electrics. It was easy to do, a Honda XL600 battery fits in the battery box pretty well and the reg/rect was like $30 from Ebay. 6V bulbs are getting hard to find and the 6V system just kinda sucks in general anyway.

I'm having internet issues tonight, but if you search Neo's mods on the yamahaclub.com website, you should find it. I'll link it later.

It would be good to start a separate thread for these bikes from the 2008+ XT 250s, as the discussions are completely different.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Red Sand OP
Gnarly Adventurer

She's home!

Woo hoo!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post

She's home!

Woo hoo!

Where is it then....................
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

In case anyone else is still playing with these old relics, I found out that the TW200 footpegs that are ubiquitous on E-Bay will fit these bikes just fine, well as good as I would expect China pegs to fit anyway. I bought mine from seller "bargain-billy-deals", mostly because he ships from Canada and offered free shipping. Cost me $26 Cdn in the end, would be about $20 for 'mericans. These will feel a lot better underfoot than the skinny little stock pegs. There will be more vibrations, as they do not have the rubber isolators that the stock pegs have, but they will also feel more solid too.

And yes, my engine leaks like a sieve. I think one of the previous owners took the engine apart and put it back together with used gaskets or something. It seems to leak from every mating surface. Luckily, I have an SR250 e-start engine waiting to go in this bike in the future sometime.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,083
I have an even older bike, a 1982 xt200, and despite it being a real mess when I got it, runs like a top now, and leaks no oil.
The older bikes were lighter, and less restricted, and seem to make more power then the new bikes.

A little bit of easy work and the old bikes run great.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Did you acquire a workshop manual for this one? If so, which one?
I'm still getting to know the bike, and since information on the web is scarce i think purchasing a good workshop manual for it would be a big help.

Thanks!
tommyvdv is online now   Reply With Quote