User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
doggitter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
1997 DR350SE runs lean @ cruise.

Full throttle no percieved problems, idles great, real low speed light throttle is good. But, I get to 45 and on up on steady cruise and it's hunting/surging continuously. My guess is either the needle needs set higher, or needs a needle with faster taper. I don't know bike carbs much at all, let alone the CV that I think is on here? Do they even have a tapered needle like the bikes I had 20-30 years ago?
If so am I in the ball park with moving the needle up? How do these vacuum sucker carbs funtion as far as cruise mixture goes?

Loren
doggitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I have a 99 DR350 that started doing this after I cut the top of the airbox to work with the adj needle and bigger main jet I got from Kientech. I put a preload spacer (4 mm) on the spring that is on top of the slide. I have not had the problem since.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
doggitter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
I was reading your telling of that but don't know if this is the same situation(carb) to go that route.
Any "gotcha's" in trying to do this for my first time on this bike? Pull the carb off the bike first or pull the tank or which route?

Loren
doggitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Chiknmunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
If you have the CV carb, take the black plastic top off. Under that top is the bladder and under that is the spring I'm talking about.If I remember corectly I put the spacer between the spring and the bladder.I'm not sure if you can get to it without removing the carb or not. (probably not)
My bike was doing exactly as you described,idled fine and as long as you were on the throttle it was good but just cruising along it would surge pretty bad.
All I could figure was some how at cruising speed the neddle was moving up and down, so I thought if I could put a little more tension on the spring it may help.6 0r 7000 miles since I did this and I have not had the problem.
Chiknmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,533
Do you have a DJ needle in the bike?

I had this problem with a street bike that had a DynoJet needle in it, the ones with the tapers, at cruising speed, the tapered part was right at the jet opening and causing the surging/hunting. I replace the DJ needles with stock needles, problem solved.