Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 AM   #1501
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,738

Anyone out there? been quiet on this thread of late, or am I talking to myself [happens!]

Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #1502
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,263
I'm still here . Due to the brutal winter in the Midwest I have not had much of chance to get the old XS ready. But I am still hoping to have it on the road by mid March.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #1503
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,707
..and I am thinking of retrieving my son's XS650 from VT this spring... he is headed for the Big Apple for a new job in June, and I might just have to "park" his bike in my garage this summer...... dumm, dee, dumm, dee, dumm..........

Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #1504
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Getting worried there for a while fellas, thought you'd all left the life of XS650's & bought other toys!,
forgot it was winter over there, with real snow!
Heading off for a ride down to Pinch River - south of Jindabyne, in Snowy Mountains area of NSW, 8, 9 & 10 March

Hoping to poach some parts off a friend from Victoria, need a complete front end off a '77 onwards - 35mm forks & dual discs, what would that be woth over your way?

The road runs roughly down the centre of the valley behind 'fati [Dave]
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 08:19 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #1505
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,427
I have a couple of questions...

I see from 1978 on the shock mount has been moved forward, and it looks like the rear foot peg mount has also changed? apart from that are the frames the same as for the pre 78 models (headstock angle etc) ?

Also I note the rear alloy wheel is 16" and fitted with a disk, if this was to be changed out, to the earleir drum brake rear wheel, can the earlier rear brake pedal be fitted on the same pivot point?

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #1506
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
I have a couple of questions...

I see from 1978 on the shock mount has been moved forward, and it looks like the rear foot peg mount has also changed? apart from that are the frames the same as for the pre 78 models (headstock angle etc) ?

Also I note the rear alloy wheel is 16" and fitted with a disk, if this was to be changed out, to the earleir drum brake rear wheel, can the earlier rear brake pedal be fitted on the same pivot point?

Short answer to changing from disc to rear drum - yes
Easier to change out swingarm to drum model too, this gives you the mount for the anchor rod, changing the brake lever will require that the splined cam with rod be used, same pivot point,
Other alternative is to use rear 16" wheel from a later model with drum brakes - '81 onwards, should be same as Aussie models
Cheers
Baza
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #1507
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,707
On our bike (blue frame up there ^) it started out as a Special, which was a 16" rear wheel, but it did have drum brake on the rear. We re-built the wheel with new stainless 18" spokes (still available) after sourcing an 18" rim (40 spoke) from a different model Yamaha (I don't recall which, but they were available on eBay by finding a complete 18" wheel, dis-assembling, and then re-selling the eBay hub)...

Yamaha built so many of these bikes, with so many variations, and so many other bikes with interchangeable parts! It was pretty easy to source lots of ways to change it. It was definitely a fun project!!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #1508
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Other alternative is to use rear 16" wheel from a later model with drum brakes - '81 onwards, should be same as Aussie models

16" mag on a '74 rear end - using '74 brake hub in a mag wheel, no problems
Only earlier wheels & brakes might not interchange [pre '74 - xs1/xs2/tx],
Discs for 34mm fork models [pre '77], & 35mm fork models [post '77] differ,
As said before, a lot of items interchange but I'm unsure about early models - '74, as I haven't anything that early since the mid '70's
Out of interest, has anyone found different tanks off other models/brands that fit the XS?
Cheers
Baza
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #1509
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Eh? Winter here in the USA!!!

BAZA, We are having a real winter over here. Lots of snow, ice, and more snow!!! Very low temps too. 2- 5 d temps.
But alot of ice to ride the ice bikes on!!
So, No road riding it all.
Is your Fall and winter are coming???
BIG ED XS 650 FAN!!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #1510
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
BAZA, We are having a real winter over here. Lots of snow, ice, and more snow!!! Very low temps too. 2- 5 d temps.
But alot of ice to ride the ice bikes on!!
So, No road riding it all.
Is your Fall and winter are coming???
BIG ED XS 650 FAN!!!!

We don't get snow as a rule in this area, bit further south is the Snowy Mountains & that little island called Tasmania copes a fair share

Huon Valley in southern Tasmania
We do down to -10c here in a good winter, with white & black ice on the roads, makes for interesting riding at times
-10c
In a dry spell at the moment, hopefully a drop of rain this weekend
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 01:58 AM
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #1511
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
We don't get snow as a rule in this area, bit further south is the Snowy Mountains & that little island called Tasmania copes a fair share

Huon Valley in southern Tasmania
We do down to -10c here in a good winter, with white & black ice on the roads, makes for interesting riding at times
-10c
In a dry spell at the moment, hopefully a drop of rain this weekend
Cheers
Baza
Baza, Do see the DT 250 Gas Tank yamaha 650 bike?
Looks Goods!!
I never thought that "Tasmania" would get snow. We have a cartoon of the "Tasmania Dev." here in the usa. All it shows it going around the Dry "Bush"
BIG ED XT&TT&XS 600 650 Fan!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #1512
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
tank

I use a Harley FXR tank... 4+ gallons... Minimum modifications... Some diddling where the cups are on the frame... removed them... The petcock, well I bent it slightly towards the rear... Looks decent, I bought a chrome centerpiece dash for it.
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #1513
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Bottom tank is a 22.5lt Eldorado Moto Guzzi, circa early '70's, not much work to mount up, top tank is off a CB750 Honda - F series.

Would really like to find something about 25 - 30 lts, how big a tank can you get with Harleys?
Cheers
Baza
Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #1514
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
650 nuts

Hey there 650 nuts. I am still around too. Been riding when I can but MD getting a bit of snow too. Currently I am on work travel in Tanegashima, Japan and won't be back home until mid March. Enough of that.
I still have not got a second set of rims yet but still plan to. I purchased a set of handle bar mitts though and the work pretty good at keeping the old fingers warm. Only problem is when you get some speed up, the wind pushes them back and makes the brake light come on. So I bought some 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick 304 stainless steel bar stock from Fastenal and made a hand guard for the right side. I can,t use store bought guards because of the drag bars are not wide enough for the inside mounts. I have it mounted to the top pinch bolt on the triple tree and to the bar end mirror. This works great. I can't wait to get home and fab the left side guard. I will post the photos when I get the job done.
PS I hope to get over to Yakushima and rent a motorcycle for the week end before I leave Japan. I did that back in 1997 and had a blast on a Two stroke, oil injected Honda 100.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #1515
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
Hey there 650 nuts. I am still around too. Been riding when I can but MD getting a bit of snow too. Currently I am on work travel in Tanegashima, Japan and won't be back home until mid March. Enough of that.
I still have not got a second set of rims yet but still plan to. I purchased a set of handle bar mitts though and the work pretty good at keeping the old fingers warm. Only problem is when you get some speed up, the wind pushes them back and makes the brake light come on. So I bought some 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch thick 304 stainless steel bar stock from Fastenal and made a hand guard for the right side. I can,t use store bought guards because of the drag bars are not wide enough for the inside mounts. I have it mounted to the top pinch bolt on the triple tree and to the bar end mirror. This works great. I can't wait to get home and fab the left side guard. I will post the photos when I get the job done.
PS I hope to get over to Yakushima and rent a motorcycle for the week end before I leave Japan. I did that back in 1997 and had a blast on a Two stroke, oil injected Honda 100.

Who are you calling 'Nuts', we're the sane ones by riding XS650's
Had much of a chance to veiw the local bike scene???
Seen a lot of custom stuff from Japan, some great bike builders over there
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 12:00 PM