ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #1471
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: hunt country virginia
Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzyCat View Post
I did my part. Here in the midwest we've got a mix of ice/snow that makes for interesting traction. Studs - you bet.

FILE0470-2 from Randy Block on Vimeo.
big snow here today, studs would have helped. the 1.8 rad cap seems to do the trick, no gastric reflux crawling in first gear

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #1472
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange
 
RozzyCat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Down by the river
Oddometer: 439
^^^YIKES^^^

With that much snow replace studs with this:

__________________
KTM 990, 300XC-W, 500EXC
RozzyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #1473
KingJeff
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Front Range
Oddometer: 48
Snow's melting in the Front Range

I got out to IMI yesterday. Probably better waiting, but the weather's been nice...

__________________
97 KTM 300 EXC
95 XT 225
02 PW 50
04 PW 80
KingJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1474
AWM
Beard Bros Racing
 
AWM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mom's house
Oddometer: 11,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Buddy brought over a good impact gun* last night and we got the primary drive gear off....which allowed me to take the crank out and make sure the little piece of metal that caused all my cylinder damage. It was ofcourse not in there....which was good to see.

* My cheap impact gun that came free with compressor...along with free air chisel and air ratchet....was not up to task. Tools cheap, compressor works well though.

Now I can start cleaning all the parts and putting the motor back together, and rebuilding the powervalve, and then rebuilding the carb and getting it cleaned out again.















Still winter here.

__________________
"Hes not called the Angry White Man for nothing,much more fitting then the,Unicorn Clouds and Happy Trees Man".... UpST8

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #1475
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post













Still winter here.

Yeah..coming back from FLA today. Then to deal with snow and getting to work........then I'll start on the KTM. :)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #1476
jaredisaac
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 14
I bought my first 300 this past fall and quickly fell in love. It is a 2011 300 XC. I've been going through it and getting ready for a summer of single track and have come across some previous owner wiring shenanigans. I first noticed this when looking at his hand warmer install and how all thee factory connections are gone.

I put that on hold and while installing a KTM radiator fan and couldn't find the open factory connection to tie into. After unwrapping all the electrical tape I am stuck looking at this trying to figure out if I should order a new harness and start from scratch OR get a wiring diagram and figure out where the open connection was?

I went 2 stroke for reliability and so I want to do it right the first time. Is there an online source for a wiring schematic or should I just get a new harness?

jaredisaac screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 09:15 PM Reason: spelling
jaredisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #1477
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Oddometer: 5,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredisaac View Post
Is there an online source for a wiring schematic or should I just get a new harness?
Spend the $25 on the factory service manual on DVD.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #1478
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredisaac View Post
I bought my first 300 this past fall and quickly fell in love. It is a 2011 300 XC. I've been going through it and getting ready for a summer of single track and have come across some previous owner wiring shenanigans. I first noticed this when looking at his hand warmer install and how all thee factory connections are gone.

I put that on hold and while installing a KTM radiator fan and couldn't find the open factory connection to tie into. After unwrapping all the electrical tape I am stuck looking at this trying to figure out if I should order a new harness and start from scratch OR get a wiring diagram and figure out where the open connection was?

I went 2 stroke for reliability and so I want to do it right the first time. Is there an online source for a wiring schematic or should I just get a new harness?
The diagram is in the back of the owners manual, that should be all you need to identify the wiring. Service manual is a good idea if you haven't messed with these bikes much though.

I hate jacked up wiring, it's not hard to do correctly. Wire Nuts! WTF

I work with elec/electronics in my trade so when I see that it's like going out on a bad job
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #1479
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
so far we've found....

cylinder was already off, but base of jug had silicone on it

powervalve cover had no gasket and plenty of silicone

powervalve lift arm stopper was MIA, and has been run without it, pv had been up against piston for long time

water pump impeller bolt is MIA, flat washer was there, and the impeller is stripped

kick starter is gone, and retainer bolt is broken off in shaft

rear wheel spoke missing and spokes are very loose

front and rear wheel bearings are shot

swing arm bushing at shock is wornout

lower chain roller is shot along with chain
If you find 8 or ten more things wrong with it that cost $.........I would part it out or chalk it up to bad luck. All of that can get very pricey.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #1480
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The diagram is in the back of the owners manual, that should be all you need to identify the wiring. Service manual is a good idea if you haven't messed with these bikes much though.

I hate jacked up wiring, it's not hard to do correctly. Wire Nuts! WTF

I work with elec/electronics in my trade so when I see that it's like going out on a bad job
Agreed. If I'm checking out a used vehicle and see a mess of wiring, I generally walk away. It's an indication that the PO was clueless.

Crimp connectors may be OK, but wire nuts & electrical tape?!?!? I'm a bit anal, so I always solder and shrink wrap connections. Put in connectors where you need to be able to unhook things for service.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #1481
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Agreed. If I'm checking out a used vehicle and see a mess of wiring, I generally walk away. It's an indication that the PO was clueless.

Crimp connectors may be OK, but wire nuts & electrical tape?!?!? I'm a bit anal, so I always solder and shrink wrap connections. Put in connectors where you need to be able to unhook things for service.
There's these small metal only crimps that work really well, many of the manufacturers use them inside the wiring harness when they need to connect in another wire into an existing wire (1:2). Its a mechanical crimp and you just slip on some heatshrink over it and you end up with a really nice splice. The only issue with soldering is if you're not careful the wire will wick some of the solder making a stiff area.

Anyone ever tried these headlights? They fit the Polisport shell
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #1482
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,778
OK, so the trip to FLA was nice, but now its over and I am back to the frozen hell hole that is NJ. FLA was nice when I was there at least.



Had to go to dealer for some other stuff last night, and a tool that had come in for me, that I ordered a few weeks ago. it shall help with putting motor back together. Anyone ever use one of these?

__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #1483
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider
 
SteelJM1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,452
Moustache comb?

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #1484
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Anyone ever use one of these?

I use a sharpie all the time. I have no idea what the thing on top of it is though.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #1485
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
OK, so the trip to FLA was nice, but now its over and I am back to the frozen hell hole that is NJ. FLA was nice when I was there at least.


You need to get your boy a KTM silencer

__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014