Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
The IT in the thread title caught my eye. I love ITs! One of these blue moons I'll find a decent one for a build.

You have got some great shade tree skills! From porting to seats...thats really great. I have to ask (because I've had it on my todo list forever) do you use one of those heavy duty sewing machines or just a regular old singer type? I always wonder if the home ones have the horsepower to do seat material.

I've been using it to commute, ~11 miles/day, in the city. Small, light and torquey enough to have a blast on (keeping in mind i'm used to old bikes, it probably doesn't compare well to anything "modern"). I've put a couple hundred street miles on it... and only about 4 off road miles on it. gotta work on that.

the seat material is marine vinyl, about as thick as the stock seat cover. any decent standard "home" sewing machine will do great. what doesn't do great is me... i can fabricate, paint, build, etc... but sewing is DIFFICULT!
Old 12-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ok... two months of commuting, running errands, beating it up, dropping it, etc... going strong.

the re-wound stator is holding up, but i've dropped to a 35/45w H4 bulb. anything higher and the light is dim at/near idle. the 35w low beam is plenty bright.

the front tire (19" mefo trials) absolutely sucks on wet asphalt and even worse on concrete sections of freeway. on the wet it has tons of traction until it suddenly has none. no feedback. on the freeway it TRACKS bad. come to think of it the tire is equally bad on the grass, gravel and loose dirt. the only place i really like it is dry asphalt.
the rear tire (18" pirelli mt40 trials) is great, save for squirming when leaned. great traction everywhere.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
jimroid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Maybe try a Shinko 19" DOT trials tire on the front?
jimroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 666
Wink

I really like this bike.........the way it was before it was molested.
It would have made a great dual porpose machine just by changing tyres, go to trials universals or even straight road tyres. You can get ribbed 21's for fronts and some pretty good rubber in 18's.
The standard porting on an IT is MADE for commuting with low down torque and very good mid range.
Why do you want to make it higher with longer shock and higher front? Not handle bad enough now? Not getting enough height with your highsides?
The time is getting close where you will not be able to buy an original old bike that hasn't been molested.
Some must do tips: exhaust wrapping, clipons (Have to be too low to be practicle), manditory photos in front of graffiti, retro gear for riding eg, 50's leather jacket, cordroys, half face helmet (Painted matt black) and swede shoes with rivits.
Oh and you need to put "Saved" and "Barn find" in there as well.

Old fart screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 04:02 PM Reason: deliver actionable applications within the Zone of Proximity
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #35
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

you're missing the point that this was a dirt cheap bike that was in piss poor condition, had some parts pulled out of a pile and all thrown together for very little coin.

before it was molested, it was molested and abused. the stock plastics were broken, painted with layers of spray paint. stock tank full of cracks and leaks with a stripped out tap and a stripped out cap. not savable. forks were rusted badly enough that seals would last maybe two strokes, the rim was full of cracks and the spokes rusted solid. not savable.

it has a trials tire on the back, on the stock 18" rim. it's got a trials tire on a 19" on the front because that's what i had laying around.

why higher? shit ground clearance. lower than a YZ of the same era. i'd also love to have an extra inch and a half of travel in the rear.

re: porting. what's your point? the entire powerband was moved up by maybe 300rpm and it's got gobs of low end. now, if we were talking about an early 80s IT... mucho better low end, stock. not the '77.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 PM   #36
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
you're missing the point that this was a dirt cheap bike that was in piss poor condition, had some parts pulled out of a pile and all thrown together for very little coin.
Mebe I am
Quote:
why higher? shit ground clearance. lower than a YZ of the same era. i'd also love to have an extra inch and a half of travel in the rear. .
You do much offroad these days? Jump a lot of logs? Find a 21 that might lift it up a bit.

Quote:
re: porting. what's your point? the entire powerband was moved up by maybe 300rpm and it's got gobs of low end. now, if we were talking about an early 80s IT... mucho better low end, stock. not the '77.
I do like the back end treatment you have now with the old seat/guard and light, looks a lot better than that "Racing" glass one. Must have had good milage with it it was going down a steep hill all the time.

Guess I just commented on this one because of the rash of "Saving" threads from "Barn finds". I like a more classic style. Bottom line is your bike do with it what you want.
Always a good quote
The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #37
dhallilama OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
You do much offroad these days? Jump a lot of logs? Find a 21 that might lift it up a bit.
i've got a 21 for it now. doesn't lift it up at all. overall this bike is small and low; half the time i feel like i'm riding an 80cc. it's not nearly as tall (seat height or ground clearance) as a '80 IT 250.

Quote:
I do like the back end treatment you have now with the old seat/guard and light, looks a lot better than that "Racing" glass one. Must have had good milage with it it was going down a steep hill all the time.
at one point i was building this just for flat track. not clear at all what you're referring to about a steep hill. i think that's a discussion that should be had over drinks

Quote:
Guess I just commented on this one because of the rash of "Saving" threads from "Barn finds". I like a more classic style. Bottom line is your bike do with it what you want.
we might agree more than you think on this. near every "cafe" bike i see, seems to be an unridable atrocity... usually ridden by some hipster dude (chick?) with skinny jeans, $70 t-shirt and fancy riding loafers.

that and the slew of "choppers" that got built out of hacked up 80s japanese bikes with questionable build quality and even more questionable sense of aesthetics. and this coming from a dude who's really, really into choppers (although generally just 50s - 70s harleys)

generally, though, i like a restored bike 99% of the time over something that was "customized." maybe some era appropriate performance parts... and modern rubber...

Quote:
Always a good quote
The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
it is.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #38
R0ACH1NGT0N
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Nice bike man, reading thru your build gives me some good inspiration for my DT400. Looks like a sweet little ride for cruising around town on and I wish I had the skills and equipment to do the machining work you do. I do appreciate a ground-up restoration but theres something about putting your own touches into an old bike that really speaks to me. Nice work
R0ACH1NGT0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #39
outofcontrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I know this is last year, but I just got inspired to do something with my old 1977 IT400 sitting in the shed and went searching. Got more than I expected with this thread. Love the build, and you're in P-town!

I need it for 2 things:
1. Alley Sweeper 2015
2. Salem Indoor FT

Thanks for the inspiration. I'd love to buy you some beer and ask a few questions.

-Kevin