User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,415
Old vehicles. Why do we bother

Stunning day in the midlands today. We've been couped up for weeks with heavy rains and miserable weather.

Dug one of my airheads out after a three month layup today. Out in the sunshine for a spin only to have it coat my foot in petrol a few miles down the road. Sorted that out and came across the chap from the end of my road pushing his old rudge (he does this a lot) magneto died.

a few more miles and there a beautiful Austin Healy 3000 with the bonnet up and steam billowing out. Cheerful chap "all part of it"

stopped for a pissed off bloke pushing his a10 "it just died mate" 2 mile push ahead of him.

1450 Harley in a car park banging and farting on one cylinder.

all us out for the first time this year. Makes you wonder why we do it to ourselves.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 472
Because anyone with decent credit can turn the key and go - until it doesn't. Then they use their credit to get a tow to a shop and pay for the repairs that they can't fathom.

We have the skills to diagnose and repair our old vehicle at the side of the road, and continue on. There is a satisfaction to this added independence that money can't buy.
16VGTIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,414
I spent nearly every night this week taking apart a shed find Triumph T120v motor man I have missed lots of good television advertising and cat videos ....
You blokes sure are getting lots of rain.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Stunning day in the midlands today. We've been couped up for weeks with heavy rains and miserable weather.

Dug one of my airheads out after a three month layup today. Out in the sunshine for a spin only to have it coat my foot in petrol a few miles down the road. Sorted that out and came across the chap from the end of my road pushing his old rudge (he does this a lot) magneto died.

a few more miles and there a beautiful Austin Healy 3000 with the bonnet up and steam billowing out. Cheerful chap "all part of it"

stopped for a pissed off bloke pushing his a10 "it just died mate" 2 mile push ahead of him.

1450 Harley in a car park banging and farting on one cylinder.

all us out for the first time this year. Makes you wonder why we do it to ourselves.
Thats one heck of a day I know why I do it,cause when it runs,it's all worth it.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,314
Many answers here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=restore

For me? It's that they no longer make 1956 Willys pickups or 1971 Suzuki Stingers. Or 1960 Rover P5 saloons.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I spent nearly every night this week taking apart a shed find Triumph T120v motor man I have missed lots of good television advertising and cat videos ....
You blokes sure are getting lots of rain.
T120v your a sucker for punishment

Loads of rain. Fortunately we haven't seen any flooding locally

Some great pictures here that sum it up http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ar-Thames.html

Rob Farmer screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 11:48 AM
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Because anyone with decent credit can turn the key and go - until it doesn't. Then they use their credit to get a tow to a shop and pay for the repairs that they can't fathom.

We have the skills to diagnose and repair our old vehicle at the side of the road, and continue on. There is a satisfaction to this added independence that money can't buy.
right on .. have been down in my 56 Austin Healey 100-4 a number of times when I drove cross country regularly. but I've never been down in the old Healey that I couldn't back running again without assistance.

carrying spare parts and a complete tool kit was normal. but then again when I was driving 100-4 BN2 .. was easily always the oldest car on the open road.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,058
I just enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that within reason & with heaps of preventative maintenance,

my old beast will make it there and back, only two breakdowns & one [or 2?] flat tyres in last seven years, I think that's pretty reasonable actually

And if it happens - well I just blame the mechanic
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 02-16-2014 at 12:50 PM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Why bother?

Because when they're running well, sounding good, miles from anywhere, the sun is shining and the weather is temperate, there is nothing - simply nothing better. No modern bike can match the visceral pleasure of all those bits of heavy metal mashing around in syncopation beneath you.

Nick

nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,278
I think it has to do with:

a.) A sense of accomplishment to get it running again- particularly after pushing for one mile. Also pushing a vehicle for one mile is surprisingly good exercise.

b.) Not just anyone can do this - it is unique and sets one apart.

c.) A bit of control (or sense of control) over what is often a chaotic and unpredictable world.

d.) It's like using a secret super power to bring back life (that must only be used for good) and the skills are useful occasionally.

e.) A deep appreciation (love?) for mechanical creations that seem beautiful or have that je-ne-sais-quoi.

f.) Most people appreciate the time and effort spent and it is politically benign as a hobby.

g.) There are worse ways to spend one's time.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
When you've reached the end of your patience with an old vehicle, park it for a while. Most of us find ourselves drawn back to them in a short time. If that doesn't happen, get rid of it. Someone else will want it.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
All of the above.

Plus (let's not kid ourselves, ego, in one form or another, is part of motorcycling to all of us) the old bikes and cars make friends for us wherever we go.

Spare magneto coil. Don't leave home without it
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
At one point in the late 80's my '60 MGA was the most reliable car I had of three, was commuting to work in the winter, 36 miles each way for a while.

What does that tell you about how sad my life was?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,316
Yep. ^^^this^^^this^^^this^^^this^^^and^^^this^^^

Anyone can ride something new. It takes a special spirit to ride something with an old patina and keep it ticking.

Lots of rain in the Britain. It's been a wretched Winter here, too. Spring's 'round the corner, though.

--Bill
Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
soul. there's something to be said about a machine that's been around 40 or 50 years... and will be around for another 40 or 50.

my '67 harley sportster may not be the fastest, best handling, comfortable, etc (and it's a long list) compared to much anything new... but man. kicking it over is an art. know what you're doing and 2 kicks, she's a purring (or rattling/rumbling, really). don't know what you're doing, have fun and enjoy the limp. putting around or slamming through the 4 oddly spaced gears at WOT, either way it always puts a huge smile on my face. the world dissolves around me. i've had great experiences on other motorcycles, and i've loved every minute of most ever bike i've been on... but not like this thing. it's the only vehicle i've ever really had an emotional attachment to (and i've had a lot of vehicles).

new bikes and cars have come and gone. the only ones i ever seem to really enjoy for any length of time have character and some age.

i also like having something you can't just go out and buy.

(and... i like having something in the garage that you can just go out and buy, not worry about, and just ride/drive :) )