User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
TeneRay OP
2>4

Oddometer: 1,597
Custom headlight pattern

I'm rebuilding my bike after an encounter with a deer. The venison took away the entire front end.

Replacing the stock halogen is $500 but I would rather toss in my own design.

According to the Tenere's setup, I have a potential for 3 pairs of lights (low beams, a relay for highs, and a lower amp line which was used for some tiny running auxiliary lights). I figure I can run a pair of driving beams, spot beams, and maybe a flood beam patterns.

I know there are halogens, LED, and Xenon/HID sources. I prefer to use LED but I know LED isn't great for driving; maybe to be used as a flood pattern?

I have a pair of Hella pencil beams but was wondering what else could be a potentially good setup? I figure there are inmates out there that own or have experiemented with various lights and could lead me into the right direction so I can assemble the best setup.

Thanks!
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I'm using a Cyclops flood, with power control for my D/S KTM. It might not be strong enough for road use. Still about 5 times better than halogen 55 watt bulbs. Bummer with LED is not much plug and play available. I'm fitting it to the stock KTM mask. It uses a cool power dimmer with internal adjustment changed at the flick of you power switch.
Cyclops posts on ADV, discounts to the inmates, and they have lifetime warranty on their product.
I'll post pics as it comes to life this week. Tried it on the bike and it beats halogen and HID units I currently use. Perfect package for the $191 spent.

Check out their website for available bike setups and light displays.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Long-Range-Optimus-LED-Auxiliary-light-Square_p_11.html
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneRay View Post
I'm rebuilding my bike after an encounter with a deer. The venison took away the entire front end.

Replacing the stock halogen is $500 but I would rather toss in my own design.

According to the Tenere's setup, I have a potential for 3 pairs of lights (low beams, a relay for highs, and a lower amp line which was used for some tiny running auxiliary lights). I figure I can run a pair of driving beams, spot beams, and maybe a flood beam patterns.

I know there are halogens, LED, and Xenon/HID sources. I prefer to use LED but I know LED isn't great for driving; maybe to be used as a flood pattern?

I have a pair of Hella pencil beams but was wondering what else could be a potentially good setup? I figure there are inmates out there that own or have experiemented with various lights and could lead me into the right direction so I can assemble the best setup.

Thanks!
Why aren't LEDs good for driving? No longer are LEDs just bright to look into. Times have changed and technology is a good thing.

Here is 1200 ft plus of very usable light. 2 led aux lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
I'm using a Cyclops flood, with power control for my D/S KTM. It might not be strong enough for road use. Still about 5 times better than halogen 55 watt bulbs. Bummer with LED is not much plug and play available. I'm fitting it to the stock KTM mask. It uses a cool power dimmer with internal adjustment changed at the flick of you power switch.
Cyclops posts on ADV, discounts to the inmates, and they have lifetime warranty on their product.
I'll post pics as it comes to life this week. Tried it on the bike and it beats halogen and HID units I currently use. Perfect package for the $191 spent.

Check out their website for available bike setups and light displays.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Long-Range-Optimus-LED-Auxiliary-light-Square_p_11.html
Thanks for mentioning us Im glad your setup is working out well.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:22 AM   #4
mtbbker
MtbBiker

Oddometer: 61
Have you looked at the Hella projector. I have used them in my rally build. These are the 90mm one's. Hella also make a 60mm model - That is the similar to what is used in the KTM450RR

mtbbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
dennism
dennism

Oddometer: 148
Check out projector headlight kits on ebay, there are lots of them, for not too much money.

One name that comes to mind is Morimoto. They sell kits for bikes and cars. It looks to me like they are using bi-xenon HID units and projector bodies.

I haven't bought any yet, but the temptation is strong..........
dennism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
I have a 5x7 LED trucklite headlight on my 2k DRZ400s. While tring to figure out how to mount the thing where a 4x6 was supposed to go, I had a thought..... How is it mounted on a jeep cherokee? Well that was the answer. I used the headlight bucket from a 2k jeep cherokee. My bud welded some ears onto the bucket and shazam. I can't imagine what could be wrong with driving with LED. I know I had to turn it downward a bit because it was bright as hell.

Now I just have to fab a cowl because the original doesn't have enough material to shave off to fit the light.
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote