henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvNener View Post
Thanks for the detailed report !

One question, once there:

If I were just going to change fork oil... could i just stop here and jump to:

My bike sees very few dust, no sand or mud, so i guess i should change oil someday but that's all...
I think that would work. Just unscrew the cap, remove the spring and the little rod inside the damper, turn it upside down, pump it a few times, and when all the fluid has drained out, move on to the filling part. Nice and easy.

Just make sure the oil reaches the top of the inner tube. Otherwise you will get false reading level. It's always better to remove excess than not have enough.

There are small holes in the inner tube that let the oil seep between the inner/outer tubes.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #40352
dazler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
would this one fit the WRR?
http://notoil.shptron.com/p/wr-250-450-2003-2012-3?pp=8

I got that link from No toil when I asked them for a filter for extreme dusty condition for the WRR
dazler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #40353
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
I think that would work. Just unscrew the cap, remove the spring and the little rod inside the damper, turn it upside down, pump it a few times, and when all the fluid has drained out, move on to the filling part. Nice and easy.

Just make sure the oil reaches the top of the inner tube. Otherwise you will get false reading level. It's always better to remove excess than not have enough.

There are small holes in the inner tube that let the oil seep between the inner/outer tubes.
That's what I did ... left them upside down overnight.

Then when filling I cut down a spray bottle to the correct length to remove oil to the correct level.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #40354
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazler View Post
http://notoil.shptron.com/p/wr-250-450-2003-2012-3?pp=8

I got that link from No toil when I asked them for a filter for extreme dusty condition for the WRR
Negatory.
That's for a WR-250F or WR-450F from 2003 and on.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #40355
johnno
johnno

Oddometer: 42
Air filter for dusty conditions

dazler, i am planning an outback ride for april & may, extremely dusty so i've replaced the K&N with a unifilter foam unit & plan to use filter socks. will also carry the original foam filter preoiled as a quick replacement backup.
johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #40356
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,636
Quote:
As noted, not the right part. Like I said before, I'm using the Yamaha OEM air filter--very well made, fits perfectly--with NoToil filter oil and it is holding up very well. I have 2 that I rotate.

Here's a good buy, less than $19 (#8 on the parts list):
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oe...PORT%29/INTAKE

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #40357
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
As noted, not the right part. Like I said before, I'm using the Yamaha OEM air filter--very well made, fits perfectly--with NoToil filter oil and it is holding up very well. I have 2 that I rotate.

Here's a good buy, less than $19 (#8 on the parts list):
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oe...PORT%29/INTAKE

I rotate between OEM and a No Toil - they both seem great and even after dusty rides, with my unmodified air box they don't get too bad... I can't be certain, but I think the No Toil is a bit more free-flowing and possibly gives higher 'brrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaap!' factor.

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #40358
12ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
fuel pump replacement

Quote:
jgino157 said "The first report I saw on these, don't remember where, said it was difficult to take apart he pump without breaking anything (plastic tabs and what not). Just curious how delicate you thought it was.
I just did mine and it was a little difficult. I contacted Big Dog as he had done one and I was concerned that I would damage the tabs holding the center column on. He said that it was doable so I used two small flat bladed screw drivers and pried the outside column over the tab (required several attempts as the column would pop back over the first tab when I started to do the second). One thing that Big Dog said that he had done was to take a Xacto type knife and trim a very small amount from each of the tabs. I used that method also. The plastic column is pretty tough plastic. It could be done about anywhere if you had something to work on (some small pieces).
12ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #40359
dazler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Thanks.
As I got that link from No toil I guess that employee don't know they are not compatible.

I already ordered the stock OEM filter cage. I don't know the stock Yamaha foam would filter better dust than the No toil green one. I already have it so I will wait for the cage to get here. And order a custom outerwear for it then it should work super for my area.

Until No toil built one using their extreme foam.
dazler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #40360
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Fuel pump rebuild

I would be tempted to try heating the plastic housing when replacing the pump in the assembly. I have 26,000 km on my original pump 2011, I wonder what the record is for an original pump?
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:14 AM   #40361
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
I would be tempted to try heating the plastic housing when replacing the pump in the assembly. I have 26,000 km on my original pump 2011, I wonder what the record is for an original pump?

I have a 2008 model with 45000km+ on the original pump

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #40362
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
I have a 2008 model with 45000km+ on the original pump
Fuggin A Thats what I like to hear.
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #40363
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
I would be tempted to try heating the plastic housing when replacing the pump in the assembly.
+1

Fuel, heat, and age attack the plasticizers so this I plan to keep mine warm when doing this operation.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #40364
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
I thought the early '08s were the ones typically prone to failure...? Personally I don't think I'd change something newer with that good of a track record.

I did mine in my 65-70F garage (unseasonably warm day). I considered using heat, but although that might help some, I didn't really think that it would help enough to change it that much, considering the thickness of the plastic and very snug fitment. Not to mention consideration of the heat source near the fumes!

The key is just to take your time, and use that "inner torque wrench" feeling to know when to stop.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #40365
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Thanks.
As I got that link from No toil I guess that employee don't know they are not compatible.

I already ordered the stock OEM filter cage. I don't know the stock Yamaha foam would filter better dust than the No toil green one. I already have it so I will wait for the cage to get here. And order a custom outerwear for it then it should work super for my area.

Until No toil built one using their extreme foam.
Did you lose your stock filter cage? That same cage should fit all the after markets foam filters. If you gotta order a different cage, my guess is you have the wrong filter.

Also pretty much any WR250F/WR450F engine part will not fit a WR250R/X.

Personally, I like the UniFilter, but if you are going to run NoToil Oil be sure that you use the Evolution formula (Green Bottle not Red) as on some after market air filter the Alcohol in the red bottle will dissolve the glue holding the air filters together (Obvously not a problem on the NoToil Filters). I've gone to the UniOil myself, seems easier. On long trips the filter skins sure are nice as well. I just keep a baggie of them pre-oiled and swap them out every few days.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703

Scott_PDX screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 01:54 PM
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote