User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 646
Slab to Sand - Joshua Tree NP & Cañon de Guadalupe

Just a few weeks ago (on 1/9 to be specific), I was invited to a team offsite planned for the first week of February on Coronado Island/San Diego. Coincidentally, my friend Chris -- who went out and a DR650 after admiring my DR during a September visit to Oakland -- happens to live down there.

My first reaction, of course, was to turn it into a longer trip by taking time off before and after the work event, head down to Joshua Tree to explore some dirt roads and go bouldering, followed by a foray into Mexico to Cañon de Guadalupe for hot springs and zipping around on the enormous dry lake bed, Lago Salado. Right? I mean - what else would you do (other than ask for more time off for at least 1-2 additional days in either place).

After checking in with Chris and selling him on the idea, I sold my manager on the idea and then I had two weeks to prepare and plan my trip.

I refined the itinerary, updated a previous packing list* and sent a copy to Chris. I reserved a campsite at Guadalupe Canyon, and did a search on AirBnB to find a nice spot in Joshua Tree.

Itinerary:
Friday 1/31 - Oakland to Joshua Tree
Saturday 2/1 - Joshua Tree
Sunday 2/2 - Joshua Tree, head to Salton Sea for overnight
Monday 2/3 - Salton Sea through Anza Borrego to Coronado Island
Tuesday 2/4 - Work (Whale Watching for Jenn & Conference)
Wednesday 2/3 - Work
Thursday 2/4 - Leave San Diego for Guadalupe Canyon
Friday 2/3 - Guadalupe Canyon
Saturday 2/4 - Leave Guadalupe Canyon for San Diego & head north
Sunday 2/5 - continue north to Oakland

*Packing List on Google Docs also has a more detailed itinerary with meal planning

Mechanical issues & prep - honestly, I was swamped with work for a week and a half after I found out about the offsite, and didn't end up with a lot of time to do things I thought I needed to do (like check & adjust the valves, look at the carburetor or air filter).

The DR has been harder to start in cold weather and will pop or backfire once in a while -- and in certain kinds of winds, the engine lags and strains (thought that might be valves).

After talking to my friend Harry -- he dx'd this as a carb issue and suggested I use Chevron for gas only if I couldn't clean the jets before the trip (and he was RIGHT!!). Once I started stopping at Chevron (and even gas with more ethanol) -- the backfiring and stalling just after starting went away. Returning to the Bay Area and using non-Chevron gas has seen a smaller return of that issue, so I'll need to do more investigation.

All packed and prepped -- ready to hit the road!

Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Day 1: Friday (1/31)

Left home WAY too late in the morning. It was almost 11, I think, when I left Oakland and made my way south on 580-E (don't ask, that's just how we roll here in the Bay Area) toward I-5 South.

First strategic error - I took 58 from I-5, instead of 46 through Bakersfield, thus ending up on a slow moving surface street masquerading as a numbered highway (vs 46 which flows better and has more limited access).

I got over Tehachapi Pass and it was getting really windy and cold - there was even snow all over the mountains around me (not close enough to stop on the shoulder and go make a snowball but still cold enough!). I pulled off in Mojave to put on additional layers at a gas station.

As I fumbled with my frozen fingers -- I noticed a whole lot of mannequin legs wearing crazy garish leggings, mostly in animal colors.

After several minutes, a tall young man bundled up in a parka with a long dark ponytail streaming out of his collar peeped around the corner and said "hi" very shyly. Then it hit me -- those stretchy pants were FOR SALE!

His price was $10 -- so I immediately bought the best non-animal/neon print pair on offer and headed toward Barstow. The sun was setting and I couldn't resist a photo

Heading south on 247 turned out to be a good call - a long straight two-lane road, I pinned it and blasted to Lucerne Valley in no time at all. It had no cars and no CHP, no lights and no animals on the side of the road (dead or alive).

A quick stop in Lucerne for a nutritious snack around 5p and then onward to Joshua Tree where Chris awaited me with red wine in a warm and toasty little bungalow.

Ready for my stretchy pants?

Ta-dah! My first ever item of clothing bearing the Union Jack!

After a long soak and probably too much red wine, we went out to salute our motorcycles and stroll down to the local brewpub for karaoke, dancing and mingling with the locals. And a salad.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

DAY 2: SATURDAY (2/1) - Joshua Tree

Coffee! I forgot to bring my coffee! We dressed and headed the 3 or 4 blocks down to the main drag to find the Joshua Tree farmer's market and breakfast. I was totally delighted to find myself facing a table with 20 kinds of hummous, luscious looking locally made flat bread, 6 kinds of olives and other goodies. I bought them all and then turned around to the other stand across the way and got myself a half pound of Joshua Tree Coffee Co "delicious decaf" ground for my filter cone (btw, it is REALLY good!).

Realizing that we were shopping HUNGRY (violation of rule #1 of shopping for food!), we turned around and went into nearby Natural Sisters Cafe (after briefly checking out the natural grocery store next door). The menu had plenty of options to make both of us happy -- eggless tofu salad sandwich for me, a wrap for Chris -- and there was a stack of gorgeous slices of carrot cake (vegan!) next to the register, so of course we got one for later!

After strolling through the market for a little while, admiring cherimoyas, jewelry, preserves and other goodies -- we packed up and headed back to the little house to leave our purchases and leftovers and head into Joshua Tree to find some rocks and dirt.

As you can see - the sky was an amazing shade of blue, and completely cloud-free! The weather was pretty great, too, though a tiny bit chilly.

My whole life I have heard only that Joshua Tree NP is amazing and gorgeous -- but for some reason, I don't remember ever seeking out photos or books to see what it looked like. I just always knew it was a place I wanted to see for myself -- and both Chris and I were in constant amazement at the sheer scale of natural beauty. I kept seeing rocks that I wanted to climb!

We zipped through J-Tree and then went north out to Twentynine Palms for gas and a quick stop at a thrift store turned up a scarf for Chris (and insults from a Harley Davidson owner who decided to connect with complete strangers by insulting their motorcycles the moment he walked in the door).

We found the Geology Trail and headed off for a little exploring. Chris -- who never really had a motorcycle before last fall -- is a total badass on the dirt, zipping around like a bat out of hell, racing ahead of me and turning around to do everything again.

I haven't spent much time on dirt in the last 3.5 years -- and I discovered that my Avon Gripster is not so good in deep sand and that I have to get reacquainted to the feeling of my motorcycle doing things under my butt that I didn't expect or plan.

Meanwhile, I was still drooling over rock formations and dying to go check them out and climb on them.

We spent hours at Joshua Tree -- and as we left the Geology Trail, the wind picked up as the sun started to set. We both started getting really chilled -- so we just went straight to a hole-in-the-wall Thai place for dinner*. It was "buffet night" at Royal Siam -- and for $11.95 each, we got a filling and hot Thai-like meal with no fish sauce in the veggie dishes, cold cheap Singh Ha and then headed home to rest up.

*Almost straight there... I pulled into Nomad Ventures to check it out and we ended up making some purchases (a cute chalk bag for me, map for Chris). Turns out the lady who helped us was going off on solo dirt rides before work and had all sorts of recommendations for us for future camping trips -- and steered us toward Ocotillo Wells, time permitting, on our way out of Salton City.

Jenn screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 11:16 AM
Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 903
Sign me up. I love RRs by vegetarians. Looking forward to this one.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

DAY 3: Sunday (2/2) Joshua Tree to Salton Sea

Before turning out the lights, Chris and I worked out some trip planning -- a few things we wanted to see and do on Sunday, including local art and bouldering. We to rise early on Sunday and get brunch before the few restaurants in JTree got crowded.

Birds were singing early and going crazy over the front porch bird feeder. We awoke, threw on some clothes and headed down the street to Crossroads Cafe -- I had noticed it on our way home from the Thai place down the street and looked it up when we got home. OMG VEGAN FOODS!

The restaurant is super cute, our waitress was pretty and a sweetheart and made excellent decaf soy lattes for me while we awaited our most excellent breakfasts - I got the soyrizo hash and Chris got soyrizo & eggs (I think). They also had housemade seitan on the menu and our server brought us a sample to try (I love seitan!!). I wish we had gone there the previous night for dinner as well -- and started reviewing the menu to try to see what might be portable for me to eat later. Sadly - no pix of awesome food, I was SO hungry and it was SO delicious!

We went back to pack up and clear out the rental cottage:

Chris mostly took really excellent pictures on this trip -- and I didn't take as many pictures as I normally would. This is probably the worst AND best picture of me. I love this picture because it makes me realize how impossible it is to tell that I'm female -- wearing three pairs of pants and three shirts will do that -- but it makes me feel safer knowing that I look ENORMOUS with all that clothing on:

All ready to go! Bye bye little house!

First stop before heading into Joshua Tree for more exploration: The World Famous Crochet Museum. I saw it on Yelp during our Thai dinner and Chris and I both agreed -- we had to pop in to check it out. He pointed out that there was no worse feeling than leaving some place and realizing you had missed out on some quirky, unique little museum established and maintained by someone with passion for the subject. I agreed, having harbored regrets about missing the Pencil Museum while in the UK with my mother (we later realized, upon arriving in Salton City later on Sunday, that we missed out on the International Banana Museum!)

We found the "Art Queen" sign and parked -- walking through a gate and down a little path past a small apartment building, we ended up in an open flat area with a green box proclaiming "World Famous Crochet Museum" and full of other art installations. While we were exploring the fun and funky art -- someone arrived and opened up the green painted studio so we could check out some screen printed recycled clothing.

It's really small inside:

Cat door - very meta, don't you think?

Lots of heads - none of them answered to Zaphod:

After we exhausted our fun at the Art Queen's exhibitions -- we headed into Joshua Tree to find some rocks to explore. A quick check of the map and we decided to go to Hidden Valley so we could take another dirt road (you know, because we can!)

Chris has never done any bouldering or rock climbing, and didn't have the right shoes -- I had my climbing shoes though -- and the rock is very sticky and scramble/bouldering friendly. Lots of nice crystals for smearing a good hold, even with the wrong shoes -- Chris and I climbed up to a point that he got concerned for his safety.

Some of the most fun sections were where we got to climb under rocks and between rocks:

Chris said "WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?" -- I was between a rock, and, well, a hard place:

After finding where we left our coats and stuff around the other side of The Blob, we realized it was almost noon and we were both hungry after our art-hop and bouldering!

LUNCH! We broke out our tabouli, flatbread, hummus and olives from the farmer's market, along with an avocado from Chris' Friday grocery trip and had a most delicious picnic. Nom nom nom nom.

We got on the road and zipped through Joshua Tree -- I wanted to see more and more and more of it, without RVs or sedans puttering along in front of me. We popped in at the south entrance ranger station at Cottonwood Spring so Chris could use the bathroom and I could make a new friend with the funniest ranger alive -- he had me in tears with giggles with his imitation of an evil squirrel with the expensive plush stuffed animal puppets on display.

Within minutes, we were making up stories with multiple animals til Chris dragged me off because I had agreed at lunch that we would try to find a place to stay before 3 so he could watch the football game (I swear, I had no idea it was happening til he told me like an hour earlier).

We headed south on Box Canyon Rd and entered a truly stunning area -- which I am pretty sure would not photograph very well so I didn't stop to take pictures. I could be wrong so might have to go back and give it a go.

Once we got closer to Salton Sea, we started seeing tons of orange orchards and other agricultural fields and ponds like this

Heading south, we ended up in Salton City at Ray and Carol's Motel by the Sea -- a bit pricy for a very large, sort of dingy and well-worn room with a wet bar bit serviceable.

Joshua Tree was cute and quirky with a does of weird -- Salton City was just... weird.

The entire Salton Sea area had seen better days and was not suffering from under-development nor from over-development or overpopulation. Nonetheless, we managed to miss "the big party" at some other bar when we took seats at the nearby Marina bar/restaurant.

Chris was very happy with being able to watch the game, we had overpriced beer and wine, he enjoyed taquitos & chicken tenders, I had some cracker/peanut mix and french fries and then went out for a jog to the water's edge to get some pictures at sunset.

Back at the room, I ate the more of the flatbread, hummus and tabouli -- and a couple of Nugo protein bars (thank goodness for groceries!).

Jenn screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 03:57 PM
Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

DAYS 4-6: Return to San Diego, Work & Unexpected Generosity

Monday morning, we packed up - cleaned up the rest of the gear and headed west past Ocotillo Wells and through Anza Borrego, enjoying the dirt tracks paralleling the road and taking in the inspiring mountain vistas.

Dunno what happened to this one but it looks like a nice painting... not a great photo:

Then... I saw a sign for local honey, dates and grapefruits. And, apparently - weirdly painted succulents:

A big bag of grapefruits lashed to his luggage rack, Chris headed off ahead of me -- and we passed up (what I still believe is the biggest mistake of the trip) a sign that said "Avocadoes - 25 for $5"

That was when I realized I was hungry. And Chris probably was, too, so as we passed through Borrego Springs, I gestured over toward a strip mall and we pulled in to check it out.

We went into the first place (bearing an SDAR sticker on the door!) and it smelled of mildew and something told us that we just didn't want to eat food and have to smell that throughout our meal. Down the strip was Kendall's Cafe -- which made us feel like we had entered the cafeteria in a retirement home. Standard diner fare with hearty coffee -- Chris had a traditional eggs and bacon breakfast, and I had hash browns with some sauteed veggies on them.

The ride out of Borrego Springs up the pass was gorgeous -- Chris had knobbies on his DR, so that slowed him down a bit but my Avon gripster was pretty good for the big sweeping curves as we climbed above the valley.

The rest of the trip back to San Diego was pretty and we got into more traffic the closer we got -- I checked in at the hotel on Coronado Island and washed up

Then headed into the Hillcrest neighborhood for a bite at Evolution for a delicious (vegan) sandwich, sweet potato fries and raw key lime/avocado tart.

Dinner with my coworkers was just a few hours later at Leroy's Kitchen & Lounge -- and I was pleasantly surprised with the delicious brussels sprouts appetizer, salads (cheese on the side!) and delicious couscous cakes with fried mustard greens and King Trumpet mushrooms (yum). Excellent wine and service from our server/sommelier.

Tuesday was whale watching day on the Aolani sailing catamaran with my coworkers -- we saw some whales but I didn't manage to see enough of one to try to take pictures. The Aolani crew was great and though a few people looked green, nobody barfed and I certainly had a good time. :)

(PS: Those aren't my coworkers)

Following whale watching, we all went into a conference room to begin the work part of the trip.

After my experience using the Avon Gripster on the Geology Trail in Joshua Tree, I was really concerned about heading into Guadalupe Canyon with that thing on my DR. However, when I got back to my computer -- I was delighted to find I had a very generous offer from Trophy Hunter (aka Ken, or vice versa) so that made me feel much better about the next upcoming leg of the trip.

The work conference kept us busy til late at night -- another team dinner (there were about 35 of us total!)

Wednesday morning I managed to go off for a run and saw this lovely sign (hey, that's me!)

Union Jack stretchy pants got applause from my coworkers -- definitely getting my $10 worth out of those things! I finalized plans for meeting up with Chris to head to Ken's house to change out the rear wheel for a knobby-mounted wheel.

No pictures of this part but I was very happy to meet Ken and he is so proficient and quick with the wheel change. We had a nice visit and then headed off to find dinner, ending up at Ritual Tavern -- darling little place with excellent lighting, kind of romantic -- delicious beer and food. Chris was very impressed with their house made hot sauces. I thoroughly enjoyed the beer list and got a delicious local sour ale with my vegan Shepherd's pie and Chris had some chicken stew thing that he liked a lot. The fried pickles were actually spears (not chips) and were a delicious surprise -- as was the Stephane Grappelli style hot jazz duo with a tap dancer (it was awesome, you had to be there!)

Well fed, content and extremely grateful to Ken for his help and generosity -- I returned to the hotel for a very good night's sleep.

Jenn screwed with this post 02-20-2014 at 12:50 PM
Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

DAY 7 THURSDAY (2/6): South to Mexico! (FINALLY, right?)

THURSDAY morning, I had a leisurely morning of coffee and boat watching -- I was actually impressed that this ship made it under the Coronado Island bridge!

I prepped my instructions and strategically refolded my maps, packed and headed off to Chula Vista to meet up with Chris (via Evolution for more sandwiches for our lunch, and Sprouts Market where I picked up groceries for our camping trip).

Chris found me in the Sprouts grocery store, and we chowed down and headed off for Mexico.

We headed east and then south toward Tecate, stopping at the border to explain what was in our bags. When I told the border guard that I had a tent and shoes -- he didn't even bat an eye, just asked to look inside the mochila that Chris had on his back. I promised him we'd think of him while enjoying the baños termales and off we went.

Rumorosa Grade was spectacular - the wind had really kicked up so we had a crazy twisty trip being buffeted by strong winds and poorly passed by SUV drivers who could barely manage the 40mph they attempted.

We took the first exit for Guadalupe Canyon - instead of going down to the lake (should have done!) - and were in for a long, sandy, bumpy ride.

Chris was in his element -- zipping around, turning around and returning or stopping ahead of me to take action photos -- I was very impressed by his excellent dirt skills!! I totally felt like a little old lady going much slower than he was.

We made it to camp just before sunset (hurray!) and got set up. We were advised no fires were permitted due to the winds and wildfire risk. Our tub at La Zorra was full and hot and we set up camp, chowed on some yummy grub (more hummus, seitan sausages, veggies), bought some Tecate from the tienda and soaked.

We soaked, ate, drank more beer... went to sleep early, listening to the wind in the palm trees... woke up at 2am, counted stars and soaked some more... repeat. Except we were out of beer so no beer for breakfast.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

DAY 8 FRIDAY (2/7): Guadalupe Cascadas & Crossing Lago Salado for Tacos in Mexicali

FRIDAY morning... well, ok, we were already up and soaking and then back to sleep but when we woke up to stay up -- Chris was much more excited by the waterfall and driving across the lake bed options for the day and I thought I could easily spend the entire day alternating between two activities: soaking in our hot pool & relaxing in my hammock.

The man was promised a dry lake bed, so I made up some coffee and we reviewed maps over breakfast and started off with an early morning exploration of the canyon to the first waterfall and around to the hot springs on the other side of the canyon.

Post-hike soak & light lunch -- then we headed off to explore the Lago Salado. A vast expanse of dry lakebed criss-crossed by tracks -- obviously regularly used -- but we saw NO vehicular traffic of any kind, though we did occasionally see small hand lettered signs pointing to "Mexicali" or "Hot Springs" or "Ejido"

That lake was FUN - we didn't stop to take pictures - we just went flying along at 80mph on tacky sandy-mud, occasionally finding a bit of track with some bumps or deep sand or going off onto the side and sending off a rooster tail spray of mud chips... WHEE!!!

Once we got back on the 2 Cuota, we found the next gas station and filled up, headed into Mexicali to find Chris some tacos.

Here is a portrait of a very happy man enjoying his tacos with tremendous delight:

It seems like we were stuck in the auto parts/tires/salvage section of Mexicali -- and it wasn't pretty. Wanting to get back across Lago Salado before dark so we would know where to turn West ("look for the 4 phone poles" we were told) -- we headed off, stopping only at the grocery store to pick up 4 large cans of Tecate (apparently, that was NOT enough!), a couple of cokes and some chips. This would be my 3rd Coke in 2 days, more than I have had in the past 10 years!

Chris only has a stock tank, so I insisted we pick up more gas to refill his tank after our 35 miles across the lake bed. I thought we'd just pick up a nice little red 1 gal can somewhere -- but we didn't. However, in Mexico - you can just use... whatever. If the gas doesn't melt the plastic, you're good to go!

I am very happy to report that the water bottle did not split or crack and we did not create a toxic waste hazard in the lake bed! We zipped along til we got to where we could see the olive orchard along the foothills, our turn off just south of that -- so we stopped to fuel up the DRs and share a Tecate and some chips.

YEAH! HIGH FIVE! Time to open a Tecate!

We returned to La Zorra, visited with the owner's daughter & her husband who take care of the place and then met a group of new arrivals from Mexicali -- employees of a company that manufactures industrial shelving. They were camping out so they could go watch a race on the lago over the weekend and invited us to their campfire, we had a lot of fun and much Tecate light was consumed. I think Chris expanded his Spanish skills a lot at that bonfire!

And then... more soaking and bed time! ZZZZ!!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post

Uhm, nice lamp?

Great meeting you, Jenn, and seeing Chris again. Looks like you had a great time I agree on the hot springs/hammock/repeat. Thanks for the Tecate cans for Alexis' college fund recycle bin.

First time I've had a Vegan give me steaks as a thank you for a tire/wheel loan. I'll write that down.

Look forward to the rest of the RR.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Apparently, Chris and I miscalculated -- thinking that Art Queen was a daytime only stop. Those are solar powered LED lit installations -- so, at night -- all the prosthetic devices are glowwwwwwwwwwing... OOOH! the COLORS!!! Right?

I may need to return to J-Tree with a tripod just to shoot that!

I can honestly say that it has been well over 20 years since I have bought a steak for anyone on purpose, and technically - Chris picked it out and I just came up with the idea. A group project.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

DAY 9 SATURDAY (2/8): Leaving Guadalupe & Heading North

Saturday morning - we soaked, we breakfasted, we soaked, we broke camp, I soaked again... I wish we had at least ONE more day in Guadalupe!

Here's our campsite La Zorra - after putting everything away and emptying the tub.

One of the best travel partners stands in front of the entrance to our camp -- separated from the driveway with light fencing and palms for privacy:

Enter the camp to the left of the fence and come through here:

Keep going around the rock toward the private hot tub:

On the road back to San Diego - across Lago Salado:

At the Tecate border checkpoint we got stuck behind a bunch of old geezers on Harley-Davidsons and Gold Wings -- they took FOREVER to get through.

Finally, in Rancho San Diego we picked up a steak for TrophyHunter -- as we got off the bikes, I unzipped my jacket and remembered I wasn't wearing a shirt -- Chris assured me it wasn't a problem.

When we got to TrophyHunter's house, he and his son Dave were waiting for us -- flagging us into the garage

Chris, adjusting his load - note the World's Biggest Sleeping Bag (that's all that white thing is - a sleeping bag - almost the size of my duffel!)

Big smiles, but bad light -

Thanks again to TrophyHunter for all his generosity & help!

Chris & I headed off and ended up at Sahara "Taste of the Middle East" -- we ordered a ton of food: hummus, bread, tabouli, beet salad, boraug, lentil soup and other goodies. We thought we'd have too much food but we ended up eating it all! It was so delicious and inexpensive. We had hugs and then got on the freeway -- parting ways on the freeway with waves.

Jenn screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 05:24 PM Reason: picture fixin' and props to sahara!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 903
Nice ride and report. I always enjoy reports done after the fact. They are so much more reader friendly. Thanks for posting!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Nice ride and report. I always enjoy reports done after the fact. They are so much more reader friendly. Thanks for posting!
Thanks, Merlin! I'm not done - still have one more day and some other silliness to report. :)

I don't do trip reports during trips -- I'm too busy having fun to bother with the internet for the most part. Or someplace with absolutely no signal or computer. For me - that's the best part of being on a motorcycle!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #14
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,427
Nice trip, thanks!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
Jenn OP
praise seitan!

Day 9 (2/8) Saturday: Continuing North

Friends had been texting me all day about pouring rain in the Bay Area and checking on me to make sure everything was ok. My plan after parting from Chris was to get as far north of Los Angeles as I could, and then find a place to stay.

It wasn't really cold but my hands disagreed and when I stopped for fuel in Laguna Niguel, I couldn't feel my fingers and they had no blood flow (heated grips are on my list).

After defrosting my fingers in my armpits and jumping up and down shaking my hands to get the circulation back, I got back on the road and found myself facing increasing wind from the West along with and ridiculous traffic in downtown LA on a Saturday night (seriously - WTF?).

I thought for sure I'd make it to Ventura... but saw a sign that said "Beaches" and pulled off in Agoura Hills. The only hotels around were pricy - like a Sheraton. I figured I would check the rates and parked the motorcycle in the passenger loading zone. Somehow, I managed to catch my pant leg on something and fell FLAT on my back (in full gear with helmet). And - nobody was there to watch. The motorcycle silently mocked me. It was expensive and that's where I ended up staying - just in case, you know - I had a slight head injury.
At least it was a VERY comfortable bed.