pzs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2OD View Post
Is this possible?

Keeping the question short.

Thanks for the reply.
If your asking the question, I would say you have doubts, if you do.... the true champion of your trip would be your passenger
pzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
A2OD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
It's more I know the bike is not designed for it. I know me and the passenger can cope as we do always just wondered if this bike was up to it.
A2OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
The bike isnt designed for it,its mostly a race bike,the seat is very thin and narrow in the back,no passenger pegs,bike will wheelie at the drop of a hat without a passenger on the back.

But dont let that bother you,any bike made can have someone sit on the back.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 AM   #5
A2OD OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Ok bolt on question, how would you go about modifying one?

Thanks for the reply.
A2OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 694
I seriously doubt if the subframe would stand up to that. It was built as an off-road competition bike with an eye on minimum weight and a steel subframe would have made it a pig for that purpose. My guess is that the reason a WR250r weighs about 30 lbs. more than the WR450f is extra weight in the subframe (and the passenger pegs) to make it 2-up-able.
That being said, a person could fabricate a new sub-frame with passenger pegs and enough beef to handle the weight, but it wouldn't be easy. I'd study the subframe on a WR250r really close and get to know a weldor that can handle aluminum if I was serious about doing it.

dickosaurus screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 12:42 PM
dickosaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs View Post
If your asking the question, I would say you have doubts, if you do.... the true champion of your trip would be your passenger
This^^^^ I'd be taking a different bike.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,685
Not without a braced subframe and a sixth gear...

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Is this possible?

Thanks for the reply.
Short answer; sure, anything's possible.
Are you riding in trail or on street? The bike is geared badly for street. And not any fun on trails with extra weight on the back and no way to move around on the seat. I can imagine a steep, slow hill with even to lightest passenger would be quite the challenge. On steep hill climes, with that power and no weight on the back you have to lean over the bars. Back of the seat has no padding. Subframe is not strong enough. No pegs. There is so much wrong with this and so many bikes out there that are made for this. Why? So long answer; HELL NO!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
sebanks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Short answer; sure, anything's possible.
Are you riding in trail or on street? The bike is geared badly for street. And not any fun on trails with extra weight on the back and no way to move around on the seat. I can imagine a steep, slow hill with even to lightest passenger would be quite the challenge. On steep hill climes, with that power and no weight on the back you have to lean over the bars. Back of the seat has no padding. Subframe is not strong enough. No pegs. There is so much wrong with this and so many bikes out there that are made for this. Why? So long answer; HELL NO!
Riding 2-up is bad for the rider, bad for the passenger, bad for the relationship and bad for the motorcycle (I ride a GSA 12). Done it both ways, buy her a bike.
sebanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Is this possible?

Thanks for the reply.

I have a KLX450R which is very similar to WR450. My bike is plated but I only ride on streets as briefly as possible to connect to other trails. I would not recommend for long street rides or to ride two up. Not intended for that type of riding. Both are more or less for racing/competition use or dirt only use.

Jon
Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #12
twistdgas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
SEBANKS:Riding 2-up is bad for the rider, bad for the passenger, bad for the relationship and bad for the motorcycle (I ride a GSA 12). Done it both ways, buy her a bike.

I know you didnt mean anything by it, but not every one can just run out and buy a new bike, or another cheap used bike for that matter. I cant do that at the present. ( 3 kids and a wife of 21 yrs ) He sounds alot like me... No disrespect but I am Assuming that if he could afford another bike right now that could handle two up riding, he wouldnt be asking about modding this one.
twistdgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #13
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,734
sometimes even in MotoGP, when someone's bike dies during the cooldown-lap, they hitch a ride back to the pits....... so two-up on a WR450 must be possible. But it is NOT designed for this, so it could be asking for trouble in many ways. Probably uncomfortable at best.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #14
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
I used to do quite a bit of two up riding on a slightly modded WR 400. Including a 5 day ride in Australia. The worst part was the seat and I made a better one with a it more padding.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #15
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
You should probably just try it down the block with one of your mates on the back, then you'll have the answer to your question.

It depends on how far you want to go and how comfortable you want to be. I have a YZ426, similar to the WR450 and i had to ride with a 200lb friend on the back because his bike broke down, it was not fun and we went about 2 miles out of trails.

So to answer your question, yes. you can ride two-up on a WR450. But it will probably ruin the bike and your friendship with your passenger.
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote