Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #7471
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
I just off the phone with Bill Blue and thought I'd share this for anyone interested.

He was at the dyno measuring his wifes CRF250L. On their dyno they got 17.4 HP at the rear wheel. (I realize that's lower than most dyno #'s)

With his 305cc kit and pipe he got 25.1 HP.

He did some porting on the head, oversize valves and hasn't checked it yet as they were working on another engine. From riding it he told me he thinks it'll have another 2 or 3 hp over the Big Bore.

All of Bill's Dyno #'s seem low/conservative. If you were to compare to this test in cycleworld:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/27...mparison-test/
They measured the CRF @ 19.6 RWHP (or about 15% more than on Bill's Dyno) and the Yamaha WR250R at 24.8.
Adjusting the dyno #'s would give Bill's 305cc 28.8 RWHP and will have to wait and see on the run with the ported head but I'm sure it's over 30!

Of course the 305cc kit is new so no info yet on reliability but my KLX351 has been amazing reliability wise! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954209
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #7472
Epy
Hen-teaser

Oddometer: 198
HP numbers are ridiculous, at least for this bike. I've seen/read anything from 17 (just now) to 24 HP at the wheel.
Epy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #7473
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 524
I compared the prices for parts that I had ordered recently at discounthondaparts.com with those from hondapartsnation.com, and partsnation was about 40 cents higher on on every item (I ordered 6 oil filters, two air filters and one chain slider for the CB500XA that I have on order).
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #7474
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
I compared the prices for parts that I had ordered recently at discounthondaparts.com with those from hondapartsnation.com, and partsnation was about 40 cents higher on on every item (I ordered 6 oil filters, two air filters and one chain slider for the CB500XA that I have on order).
Actually, I kind of forgot about Rocky Mountain. Free shipping on orders over $99, so get a tire(s), and bring it up over the free ship price with other stuff.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #7475
jsonder
Tired Old Fart

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Actually, I kind of forgot about Rocky Mountain. Free shipping on orders over $99, so get a tire(s), and bring it up over the free ship price with other stuff.

The parts cost $16 more so free shipping would have cost me an extra $6, compared to discounthondaparts.com. I stopped at $92 with the order to get the under $100 shipping rate of $9.99. My parts cost $102 with shipping, Rockymountainatvmc.com was $108 with free shipping.
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #7476
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I just off the phone with Bill Blue and thought I'd share this for anyone interested.

He was at the dyno measuring his wifes CRF250L. On their dyno they got 17.4 HP at the rear wheel. (I realize that's lower than most dyno #'s)

With his 305cc kit and pipe he got 25.1 HP.

He did some porting on the head, oversize valves and hasn't checked it yet as they were working on another engine. From riding it he told me he thinks it'll have another 2 or 3 hp over the Big Bore.

All of Bill's Dyno #'s seem low/conservative. If you were to compare to this test in cycleworld:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/27...mparison-test/
They measured the CRF @ 19.6 RWHP (or about 15% more than on Bill's Dyno) and the Yamaha WR250R at 24.8.
Adjusting the dyno #'s would give Bill's 305cc 28.8 RWHP and will have to wait and see on the run with the ported head but I'm sure it's over 30!

Of course the 305cc kit is new so no info yet on reliability but my KLX351 has been amazing reliability wise! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954209
. Any way you cut it, the big bore kit will give at least another 25% more power- I have another six months before i can get the kit shipped over.... Bigger throttle body and the Australian foam uni filter should just about get my bike perfect. I will still need the very loud FMF exhaust and seat upgrade...
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #7477
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
. Any way you cut it, the big bore kit will give at least another 25% more power- I have another six months before i can get the kit shipped over.... Bigger throttle body and the Australian foam uni filter should just about get my bike perfect. I will still need the very loud FMF exhaust and seat upgrade...
17.4 sounds about right to me as the stage 1 kit should give you about 3 more HP .... My bike with the stage 1 kit was at about 20.5 and after the 305 it is now at just under 26. I also have knobbies and some say that will give you lower Dyno numbers but I do not know nor do I think it is important.
I am at work and the exact numbers are at home.

I believe all Dyno's will vary some but, should give you a good idea of the amount of power gained from your modifications.

Also the guy that installed my 305 said he could have squeezed some more power out of it but, he did not want to make it to lean ... He said I could come back after I racked up some miles on it and he could re-tune it for me.

So far I like my 305 and it feels stronger all the time but because I am in Nebraska ... I have only about 200 or so miles on it.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #7478
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
17.4 sounds about right to me as the stage 1 kit should give you about 3 more HP .... My bike with the stage 1 kit was at about 20.5 and after the 305 it is now at just under 26. I also have knobbies and some say that will give you lower Dyno numbers but I do not know nor do I think it is important.

I believe all Dyno's will vary some but, should give you a good idea of the amount of power gained from your modifications.

Also the guy that installed my 305 said he could have squeezed some more power out of it but, he did not want to make it to lean ... He said I could come back after I racked up some miles on it and he could re-tune it for me.

So far I like my 305 and it feels stronger all the time but because I am in Nebraska ... I have only about 200 or so miles on it.
Did he actually adjust the firmware in your ECU or did he just play with the EJK? I'm assuming ECU tuning.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #7479
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray View Post
Did he actually adjust the firmware in your ECU or did he just play with the EJK? I'm assuming ECU tuning.
I dunno .... sorry man but, I left this job for the Pro's. You might be right tho because when I asked about removing the canister or hego etc ... he said he can just turn that stuff off with the computer ... I probably should have asked more questions and I will see him next week so if I remember I can ask.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #7480
Kray
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
I dunno .... sorry man but, I left this job for the Pro's. You might be right tho because when I asked about removing the canister or hego etc ... he said he can just turn that stuff off with the computer ... I probably should have asked more questions and I will see him next week so if I remember I can ask.
I'd be interested to know
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #7481
AriWiedaetschi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
First pics of my Luggage Case Rack

You are looking for a less than 20$ Luggage Case / Rack

You will find my solution here

http://feldweg-streuner.blogspot.de/...r-crf250l.html
AriWiedaetschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #7482
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post

Quote:

Hey Gnath- has your fuel consumption changed at all with the big Bore?
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #7483
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Gnath, how many miles do you have on your 305? Any issues?
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #7484
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Hey Gnath- has your fuel consumption changed at all with the big Bore?
I think I get better mpg's with the 305 just putting around town and the amount of shifting has been reduced to so little it's crazy. I have 13/42's on it and can drop to 35mph in top gear and back up to whatever all without downshifting all with a 1/4 turn of the throttle. I think about 59mpg may have been my high and 47 was my worst. Also, I also do not try to get good mpg's I just ride it so I think if I really wanted to ... 65 mpg would be pretty easy to obtain.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #7485
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Gnath, how many miles do you have on your 305? Any issues?
I had it installed in November and I live in Nebraska so ... I only have a little over 200 miles on it I think ... maybe 300 because I did get to ride it twice last month. For me this bike is for fun not transportation so It has to be above 35 and dry roads before I take it out.
I have had no issues with it and as the miles rack up it feels better with every ride.
I will say it is not as smooth as it was stock and the new cylinder is steel not aluminum. Don't take this as it runs rough or anything odd ... it is just not butter like it was and I can feel a slight vibration. I do not think it will last as long as a stock engine would but ... I think it may go 25,000 miles before needing some new rings or whatever. this is all just a guess tho as I have not a clue. I know a guy that has 4,700 miles without a single issue as well. So my hopes are high and confident. But, this thing can lift the front tire with ease in second gear now. I have a new wheel set coming and I am going with 14/48 gearing since I do not ride highways or commute with the bike. I am hoping for 3rd gear wheelies and if that does not work then the 13T will go back on it.