Border crossing

Hi all :)
What's your worst border crossing experience and how did u survive it
leftcheekleftcheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Taking a ferry into Holland from the U.K. only to find that in Holland, our American bank cards were outdated technology (magnetic stripe instead of a chip) and couldn't be used to buy train tickets to continue our journey ... or anything for that matter.
We scrounged up enough cash in various currencies to exchange for a pair of special rate tickets to the border, but we lost a day sitting in a train station in the process.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
LaurentM
Laurent

Oddometer: 22
Rosso border crossing between Senegal and Mauritania. Combining the highest level of inefficiency while raising the bar in terms of corruption ! The Diama border crossing is a dream (and it's on a nice dirt road, wich is a nice bonus).

Be reasonably safe !
LaurentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Funny the worst was my exit from the USA from Miami to Bogata, I had airfreighted the bike and bought an one way ticket on the internet. TACA would not let me board without a return ticket, even though I showed the shipping reciepts and explained I was travelling overland after Bogata. They extorted $700 from me for a return ticket (which they said was refundable in Bogata). More than double the one way ticket on the internet. I eventually got the money back after I documented thier refusal to refund my ticket in Bogata I got recourse with the credit card company. All in all an unessessary hassle. After that everything went very smooth through south america. Only one little computer hiccup in Tacna Peru which was resolved in an hour. My previous exit from the country a year earlier hadn't been logged in their computer. But it was obvious from the stamps in my passport and my current valid import permit showed what had happened, still it took some time for them to cover thier asses.
When it comes to dealing with customs be confident yet humble, stand firm without being arrogant. That way when the time comes when an illegal crossing has to happen it will be seemless. Yes I've been bad and expired my permits and fugged dates. Be brave advrider soldiers.
Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 02:16 AM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Double post
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
GerJ
Blijde rijder

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by millican View Post
Taking a ferry into Holland from the U.K. only to find that in Holland, our American bank cards were outdated technology (magnetic stripe instead of a chip) and couldn't be used to buy train tickets to continue our journey ... or anything for that matter.
We scrounged up enough cash in various currencies to exchange for a pair of special rate tickets to the border, but we lost a day sitting in a train station in the process.
Now that is strange, because as far as I know our ATMs still use the strip. The POS terminals in shops require the chip, though.
GerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Taca

TACA = Take A Chance Airlines

Glad it finally worked out for you. Plenty of countries refuse entry (prior to take off) of one way ticketed passengers.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Credit card woes

I had similar problems with mag stripe US craditr cards in various places in Europe, so I now carry one with the metal chip and a mag stripe. Highway yoll booths and gas stations come to mind as places that often don't read the mag stripe.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,855
My worst border crossing was in 1970 crossing into Baja at San Yesidro with my parents. We were headed to Ensenada for the start of the Baja 1000. Unknown to us the US and Mexico was in a pissing match over drug enforcement and Mexcio was blaming all of the "Hippies" and had decided not to let anyone that looked like a "Hippy" into the country!! My shoulder length hair was the focus of attention as we passed by the inspection area and we got pulled into the inspection area. When we were told that we couldn't enter the country due to my long hair, my old man came "unfucking glued". So we were turned around and sent back to the USA. Boy, was my dad pissed. We ended up going to Tecate and before we got to the border I had to climb in the camper shell and lay down between the motorcycles under a sleeping bag. That's right, I was smuggled into Mexico!! Jajajajajaja!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #10
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 133
I skiped the Ross boarder after i heared its even wors then the worst boarder i crossed between the two congos. I was the only white person within one million of people trying to cheat me while i had to organize all the paperwork and the ferry ticket:

http://reisemotorrad.eu/?report=en_westkueste
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
From my experience I found border crossings can be an absolute unbelievable horrific experience but then found if I sit, chill out and enjoy what is happening around me it becomes just another part of travelling. I have found wandering off to the food merchants that are always in the area and having a really good meal while waiting to get the required stamp improves the experience immensely YMMV

Super Blackbird CBR 1100XX.......making squids out of gentlemen since 1996
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
it's always the roll of the dice at a border, so what?
you just need patience and good attitude and it too will pass.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,736
it's always the roll of the dice at a border, so what?
you just need patience and good attitude and it too will pass.
develop that I must get this done now attitude and it will suck, even if it's short.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote