Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,277
Outfit one or the other- Bonneville or R65

Ok
Heres the deal. I had a Ural. Sold it.. Yeah I know I shouldnt have.. It was well sorted..
Bought a Bonnie T100
Then a project R65 came into the garage.
I miss the versatility of the sidecar ( and miss riding in the snow) so the idea was to Hack the R65 and keep the bonnie as is.
Throwing it out there-
Better to keep bonnie as is ( chain maintenance in winter, its in beauty shape)
And use Ratty R65 as the tug?
Thinking a lighter Cozy sidecar...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
Both bikes work well and both bike we make bike specific mounting hardware for. The R65 is a bit different then other BMW's and takes specific mounts, it may look just like other BMW's but other then the R45 it is not. With the BMW you must have sub frames as the frame tubing is very thin on these bikes. For the Triumph we also offer new from billet triple tree's. For me for winter riding I would go with the BMW as it is "ratty" other wise my first choice the rest of the year is the Triumph. Our M72D sidecar would work well on either bike and comes with bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,025
I'd go the R65 but I'm a biased BMW nut ..... if you haven't found a sidecar yet, I found this for $500 near Toronto

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ568701431
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
Both bikes work well and both bike we make bike specific mounting hardware for. The R65 is a bit different then other BMW's and takes specific mounts, it may look just like other BMW's but other then the R45 it is not. With the BMW you must have sub frames as the frame tubing is very thin on these bikes. For the Triumph we also offer new from billet triple tree's. For me for winter riding I would go with the BMW as it is "ratty" other wise my first choice the rest of the year is the Triumph. Our M72D sidecar would work well on either bike and comes with bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
Thanks Jay
Just putting the R together now.
Lots of Triumphs flying around with chairs, not so many R65
Then again a wee bit rarer type of airhead than the T
Cheers
Old 02-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
warkshop
uncbob

Oddometer: 586
PM sent
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I'd go the R65 but I'm a biased BMW nut ..... if you haven't found a sidecar yet, I found this for $500 near Toronto

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ568701431
I saw one up here like that- Needs a chainsw to cut off that throne on the back!!
Got PM ill contact you later today or tomorrow
CHeers
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
hsblue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
Lots of Triumphs flying around with chairs, not so many R65
Then again a wee bit rarer type of airhead than the T
Cheers
And as Jay said, there are sufficiently different from other airheads that they are the unappreciated black sheep of the airhead clan. Whether that is deserved or not, it affects resale value.

Like all airheads, you can easily spend 5-6 thousand to restore a bike than you can sell for $3,000.
hsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,025
OK, find me a restored airhead for $3k and I'll buy it.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

I guess restore is a bit of a stretch for my intentions- a running reliable bike. So far im into it for a few hundred. Ive changed push rod seals, Carbs cleaned- steering bearings done. Need fork internals tires and electrical sortings- But before i get all spendy like ill fire her up ( hoping next week)
If that goes well - i continue. I may have it out as a solo ride for summer but plans have now shifted to have it as a tug for sept.
Im keeping the bonnie as my solo.
But the lad who bought my gear up may buy a new 14... So i may get first option on my old Ural.
Anyhow it shall be as it shall be - but all good fun playing with this airhead
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I'd go with the airhead though, like others, I'm biased. I have an '83 R100RT with a Cozy sidecar mounted using a DMC subframe. They also modified the front sidecar mount to work with their hardware and fabricated a new rear crossmember. It all works great, handles fine, not too light (contrary to popular opinion) but then again this is the only rig I've ever driven. The R65 may be a little light on power as a friend with a Royal Enfield 500cc w/Cozy sidecar stated that 50mph is about it.

The rig is being driven year 'round with no real issues except I burned out a rotor. Probably from keeping the car battery charged...
My Blog
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Looks like a Ural tub is secured. Should be getting it by April. Also Im thinking now that the Triumph will be the tug.. Dont think my R65 will be ready for the road by then... We shall see..
Ill figure out why I can only post small pics here on ADV. .Once sorted Ill post it up for perusal..
And to think I just flipped for some HT racks for the Triumph as well...
Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 369
HT racks for the Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr View Post
Looks like a Ural tub is secured. Should be getting it by April. Also Im thinking now that the Triumph will be the tug.. Dont think my R65 will be ready for the road by then... We shall see..
Ill figure out why I can only post small pics here on ADV. .Once sorted Ill post it up for perusal..
And to think I just flipped for some HT racks for the Triumph as well...
What's wrong with using the HT racks, will they interfere with the mounting hardware for the Triumph?
Just curious
LL75
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
fyr OP
iRoast Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
What's wrong with using the HT racks, will they interfere with the mounting hardware for the Triumph?
Just curious
LL75
HT racks installed and will pose no problem with the sidecar.. I was just mentioning that as my plans originally was for the T100 to be my solo and the R the tug.
But I flip ideas around like pancakes.
Those HT racks- slick, solid piece of kit.