ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #31
Granparacer
Old but not dead

Oddometer: 231
You may not want to tell U Haul that you're hauling bikes, just say you are helping a friend move or something. They're not friendly toward hauling motor vehicles in their vans.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #32
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,010
There's a guy who knows the trails. I did Tronson on my 690. Only once!
Sounds exhausting.
Nice vid & switchback work XR4EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdcool View Post
I have ridden Devils Gulch several times, which branches off Mission Ridge by my navigation. You will encounter these "more difficult" level of trails on the T1 a few times a day, but there will be a some short "most difficult" sections tossed in occasionally (your Tronson Ridge?). To liken the T1 to your area... It is like waking up in a (fictional) motel in Liberty before dawn and eating what you bought last night for breakfast from the liberty cafe. You take the groomed forest service roads 15 miles up to Table Mountain area and over to Lions Rock to discover the awesome view. Then take a 2 mile single track trail to short cut across to the 5 miles of jeep/forest roads past Haney Meadows, to 15 miles of Mission Ridge/Devils Gulch trail. Then head up Mission Creek forest road to cross the highway in Cashmere....repeat until you get to Canada 200 off-road miles later. On average, you spend about half your _time_ riding interestingly rugged trails, that you would enjoy on a dirt bike just for the sake of the trail, and the other half of the time on dirt roads getting to the next scenic highlight or travel necessity like gas along the route to Canada.

YMMV.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #33
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Just picked up a used Garmin Oregon 450 and am learning to use it, one step closer to my T1 ride. I've never used a gps when riding, did the WABDR with paper maps and only got lost 57 times...thus the GPS

Getting more and more excited about the ride but I'm still oscillating on bike choice, 2t or 4t. Looks like I have a couple of friends enlisted to ride along.

Who else is going this year, and when?
gameyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #34
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Check out the tour of idaho facebook page to see who is going to give it a go. It looks as if there will be quite a few this year.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #35
pizzaforbreakfast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyogi View Post
Just picked up a used Garmin Oregon 450 and am learning to use it, one step closer to my T1 ride. I've never used a gps when riding, did the WABDR with paper maps and only got lost 57 times...thus the GPS

Getting more and more excited about the ride but I'm still oscillating on bike choice, 2t or 4t. Looks like I have a couple of friends enlisted to ride along.

Who else is going this year, and when?
Just found this thread after starting another TID thread today. Oops.

I rode it on a 2-smoke last year and plan on riding the same bike again this year. There are only short patches of pavement days 1-6. Day 7 has more but it is still mostly dirt.
pizzaforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #36
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

getting closer :) I've done some 135 mile single track practice days recently, I'm thinking 200+ mile days are going to be long and challenging, we'll see if me and my buddies are up for it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #37
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Can't wait for the report!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #38
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

@pizzaforbreakfast I noticed that you posted the T1 converted from waypoints to tracks on your T1 post, would you mind reposting them here for more coverage? Thanks for sharing those by the way, I was going to do the same thing but you've saved me the time
Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #39
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,962
Too much hauling. Consider leaving your truck in Wallace, then riding fireroads from Wallace to Pocatello. Do the T1 and ride back south thru the CdA forest to Wallace.

That would cut your road time to 700 mi instead of 2700 mi. and no rental.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #40
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my wife has generously volunteered to drop me off and drive the truck up to either Spokane or Sandpoint, where she will leave the truck and take the train back to the Seattle area.
Now all I need is somewhere to park the truck for a week...anyone know of anyplace that would work in either Sandpoint or Spokane?

thanks!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #41
birdcool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Truck Parking

Mike, You can use my house to park your truck in Spokane. We should be able to take your wife to the train station too. email me if you want to confirm.
birdcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #42
gameyogi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Our date is set, leaving on August 9th, I'll do a ride report when (if ) we get back
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #43
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Cool, hope to see pics. I am doing part of the T1 route, just from Lowell up to Wallace with a couple buddies in Sept....

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #44
birdcool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Good choice kootenai on picking a T1 day. Gas is a pain, esp on fish butte fully loaded. But if u feel like u are running short on gas u can usually scrounge gas around 4th of july bridge or cedars from atv riders. Alas, that may not be so true in sept. mid week. food is going to taste so good by the time u get to Wallace.
birdcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #45
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdcool View Post
Good choice kootenai on picking a T1 day. Gas is a pain, esp on fish butte fully loaded. But if u feel like u are running short on gas u can usually scrounge gas around 4th of july bridge or cedars from atv riders. Alas, that may not be so true in sept. mid week. food is going to taste so good by the time u get to Wallace.
We're from up in that neck of the woods so we're going to break it up a bit, plus we've got a chase truck....hell, we've made it a career of running short on gas and getting lost in the Wallace area....

I know, we're not the real deal T1 riders....guess we're just a bunch of posers...

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote