User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
R75 exhaust on a Ural

I had beaten my stock exhaust to the point it needed replacing. While the new stainless exhaust that Ural uses now is nicer than the old style it is expensive and still vulnerable in extreme conditions. A WWII R75 type exhaust is available from oldtimer garage in Poland, http://www.oldtimergarage.eu/store/p...226779a4d082aa

Using a Ural 650 2 into 1 header, and with some fabrication, I was able to adapt it to a Ural 750. I designed the muffler mount in a way that it can be quickly removed by removing a cotter pin and pulling it to the rear, it comes off with the rear portion of the exhaust pipe.

It is a major improvement in ground clearance and eliminates the left side portion of the exhaust system which is the most vulnerable.

A more complete description can be found here,
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=11&t=16247
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Sam Simons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
R75

Looks great,Barry. I'd like to do similar.....Please post a few additional pictures.

Sam in IN
Sam Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Using a Ural 650 2 into 1 header, and with some fabrication, I was able to adapt it to a Ural 750. I designed the muffler mount in a way that it can be quickly removed by removing a cotter pin and pulling it to the rear, it comes off with the rear portion of the exhaust pipe.
That is a nice look, and no doubt will give better clearance both underneath and to the left side.

However, two quick questions:
#1) Are the 650cc headers the same I.D. as for the 750cc motor? Is the muffler canister sized for a 650 or 750 mill? If they are smaller, will that restrict the motor at all? Any idea what the 2-into-1 pipe with that long runner to the canister will do to the power curve versus the original 2-into-2 setup with shorter runners? (rejetting?, moving the torque peak?, etc...)

#2) With the "quick disconnect" setup I am assuming a fairly loose slip fit at the exhaust pipe ahead of the muffler. Doesn't this allow a fair amout of exhaust leakage? What about water entry if you go into deep water? Vibrational wear at a loose joint? (Urals don't vibrate do they???)

Enquiring minds want to know!
2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider View Post
That is a nice look, and no doubt will give better clearance both underneath and to the left side.

However, two quick questions:
#1) Are the 650cc headers the same I.D. as for the 750cc motor? Is the muffler canister sized for a 650 or 750 mill? If they are smaller, will that restrict the motor at all? Any idea what the 2-into-1 pipe with that long runner to the canister will do to the power curve versus the original 2-into-2 setup with shorter runners? (rejetting?, moving the torque peak?, etc...)

#2) With the "quick disconnect" setup I am assuming a fairly loose slip fit at the exhaust pipe ahead of the muffler. Doesn't this allow a fair amout of exhaust leakage? What about water entry if you go into deep water? Vibrational wear at a loose joint? (Urals don't vibrate do they???)

Enquiring minds want to know!
Yes the headers are the same diameter, the muffler was originally for a 750 and is about 20% bigger than the factory 2 into 1 Ural sold with the "adventure" package. It is a popular setup with folks in Eastern Europe running vintage Urals/Dneprs with BMW R80 and R100 engines. If there is any difference, it may be that the torque curve peaks a little earlier, it is very subtle. Urals are in such a low state of tune it is hard to change its performance without making major changes.

The slip joint is about 2.5" long and the lap in the joint is down flow so it doesn't leak but it isn't water tight. My stock system was beat to hell and leaked like a sive and water crossings weren't a problem so the new setup should be fine. I did get a flex coupler but I will wait to see if it is needed. Redline is 5600 rpm and it is very smooth, vibration is hardly noticeable.

The slip joint is a fair distance from the muffler and also compensates for heat expansion. there is a second slip joint at the header.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I like it! I don't think I've seen this mod before? Any affect yet on gas mileage?

-Tom
Thermos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
I like it! I don't think I've seen this mod before? Any affect yet on gas mileage?

-Tom
Give me a few weeks of normal riding and I'll answer that question. I doubt it will have any effect.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,162
Howdy Barry,

You did a great job on this mod.

Are you going to help me Pre-Run the Black Dog, this year, that new exhaust should work real well in the nasty stuff.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Barry,

You did a great job on this mod.

Are you going to help me Pre-Run the Black Dog, this year, that new exhaust should work real well in the nasty stuff.
I sure hope I can make it work out, thats some great riding.

got it all painted up nice, just needs some "patina"
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
msblu79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Neat muffler idea, looks factory done. What happened to your plate bracket? looks like something took a bite out of it.
msblu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msblu79 View Post
Neat muffler idea, looks factory done. What happened to your plate bracket? looks like something took a bite out of it.
I got into a really tight squeeze through some down trees on a snow covered logging road, snagged it on a log.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,619
looks great and functional

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #12
Cockney
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2:1 exhaust

An inspiration.
Cockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Great look. You really do excellent work. Thanx 4 sharing it with us...
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,397
Whomever cooked that idea up had a pretty clear idea what he was doing or it wouldn't work as well, 2 into 1 usually means better midrange, old timers used to paint the pipes and run the bike, the spot where it was the hottest (just before the muffler on yours) is where they would cut the pipe off.
Or at least that's the story an old-timer told me,and he'd built allot of exhaust systems. It's almost cool.DB
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Whomever cooked that idea up had a pretty clear idea what he was doing or it wouldn't work as well, 2 into 1 usually means better midrange, old timers used to paint the pipes and run the bike, the spot where it was the hottest (just before the muffler on yours) is where they would cut the pipe off.
Or at least that's the story an old-timer told me,and he'd built allot of exhaust systems. It's almost cool.DB
Its a home brew, basically I just adapted the BMW design to fit. The performance envelope of a Ural allows for a fair margin in what will work.
Its simply a stock exhaust cut up with a few new bits, and repo muffler added. Works great, but unfortunately the quality of the muffler isn't the best and the internal baffle broke loose.

The paint trick does work, but in this case, ground clearance was a higher priority than performance. Also not having a pipe bender and working with a tight budget, I was limited to cutting and welding what I had on hand. The quick release muffler mounts are made from gate hinges.

My first aircleaner with cyclonic precleaner was made from mostly exhaust pipe, scrap metal and a few plumbing fittings,

My aircleaner conversion made from vacuum formed ABS,