User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #31
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
The best buy is……..

Thumper, You are getting a load of pro & con about the Ural in your future.
Actually the Ural is now scaring some builders.
Not so much about the reverse or the seldom used 2wd, but because many builders struggle to keep pace w/ the Urals now setting a higher standard.

The 2014 is selling nothing here. It is a promise. It's the recently bought & ran near to death Urals that are still kicking about & causing buyers to look again at what was once the ''RPOS''. Now owners wear the POS badge as a level of achievement.

These are the real deals. Anyone jumping ship (selling your recently bought Ural) go ahead suckers. Give away your tried & true pure fun machine. It is what gave you a reason to get off your fat ass & join in on the ride of your life.

Ural used to need rider input to keep being a Ural…..now they want to be as near perfect as any other cookie cut out scoot.

Whatever you get or don't get, I wish it gives as much fun as our GU-11, even if the Ural warranty promise failed us.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #32
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Thumper, You are getting a load of pro & con about the Ural in your future.
Actually the Ural is now scaring some builders.
Not so much about the reverse or the seldom used 2wd, but because many builders struggle to keep pace w/ the Urals now setting a higher standard.

Whatever you get or don't get, I wish it gives as much fun as our GU-11, even if the Ural warranty promise failed us.
How about a little bit of reality Wolfie ? Could you explain your thoughts that they are scaring some builders ? True it's been a better product every year, but completely different than any sidecar builder worth his salt in the US.produces.
They build a complete motorcycle sidecar with a ohv pushrod engine that has square dimensions bore and stroke are identical 78mm. A design that's basically industrial, built to make allot of low end grunt not run at US interstate speeds.They are very good at that and their reliability is much improved.It's a Russian ATV not a HP freeway flyer.
But comparing them to what the builders here turnout is comparing apples and oranges or comparing your Rotax powered Buell to a HD Sportster they are both motorcycles.
But I do agree they are allot of fun.DB
Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
kjolly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Ural Commuter

Over the last several years IMWA has upgraded the internals - Herzog timing gears, tranny, FD - which should make the engine/drivetrain more capable of handling highway speeds. Adding fuel injection and rear disks on the 14 models might just allow the beast to run on the slab reliably.

I'm on my second Ural - my '06 ran for 70k - with increasingly longer pauses for repair. I ride every day - my commute is about 20 miles - I will and do run on the slab - I run 60 or so pretty steady - and just don't give a hoot if someone wants to go faster. The nice thing about a Ural is most people think it's some ancient beast - so I get more thumbs up than I do middle fingers.

Kevin Jolly
2006 Ural Patrol
kjolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by warkshop View Post
So pointing out the idea (some might say fact) that one could chose a more reliable mule than a Ural is horribly insensitive, rude and negative selling? Was my comment not accurate or good advice to a potential Noob? .......... nip and tucked..... I am happy for him (he earned his success) and his customers(they made a good choice for themselves).

Is it heresy to disagree and state what to me seems obvious? That there are choices?

Not wanting to inflame this but yes, there are choices. I am lucky enough to have one of each (or more accurately, made the decision to do so).

The Ural was and still is a wonderful machine within its envelope and I think there is the issue, folks tend to assume that envelope is really limited, which isn't the case. Lots of adventurers have toured the country, the continent and multiple continents on them. They are reasonably reliable, low tech and not hard to work on or find someone local who can.

But they will and can get you where you want to go. I love my 06 and will keep it forever; it is my choice for back road, trails and relaxed tours but I would not hesitate to take it 500 or 5000 kms.

With that said, it is a relatively low power machine and that is where the ST1300 with Hannigan fills the need for fast, long distance touring. It will never go down a bumpy fire trail, barrel through a muddy patch of ATV chewed up track and only the gravel roads I cannot avoid during a trip.

Different horses for different courses.

But if someone is going to buy just one, either choice can work just fine so what may be perceived as harsh criticism by brand (Urals suck, Hondas suck, your brand sucks) tend to rub most people the wrong way.

A hack without me and my monkey on it sucks, all the rest are great!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #35
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Right on time DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
How about a little bit of reality Wolfie ? Could you explain your thoughts that they are scaring some builders ? True it's been a better product every year, but completely different than any sidecar builder worth his salt in the US.produces.
They build a complete motorcycle sidecar with a ohv pushrod engine that has square dimensions bore and stroke are identical 78mm. A design that's basically industrial, built to make allot of low end grunt not run at US interstate speeds.They are very good at that and their reliability is much improved.It's a Russian ATV not a HP freeway flyer.
But comparing them to what the builders here turnout is comparing apples and oranges or comparing your Rotax powered Buell to a HD Sportster they are both motorcycles.
But I do agree they are allot of fun.DB
You're you're you're soooo right……………..but there is more to this.

Ural is not just a sidecar…..it is the most complete ready to go unit in the world of MC & sidecars. But the real proof is not in its speed but in its repeat buyers & the forums that gain in membership. They even have members who have not bought a new or used Ural yet. & if someone does not buy that is equally good too. No Ural owner wants another Ural owner to end up disenchanted. Maybe that sounds like a bit over concerned for someone getting into Uralling.

There is no builder in this country that can come near the Ural, unless you consider copying their sidecar as even standing in Urals growing shadow.

Our US builders only add to whatever a customer rolls in the shop. The Ural costs what a sidecar built in the US costs. Urals only need a certain type of rider, they have many types of owners who just have not really got into the Ural thing. Maybe that is a good question for another thread.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #36
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
You're you're you're soooo right……………..but there is more to this.
Ural is not just a sidecar…..it is the most complete ready to go unit in the world of MC & sidecars.
Our US builders only add to whatever a customer rolls in the shop. The Ural costs what a sidecar built in the US costs. Urals only need a certain type of rider, they have many types of owners who just have not really got into the Ural thing. Maybe that is a good question for another thread.
Ok Wolfie but you know I love to argue. US builders way too often follow the customers lead and half ass a rig with issues, I bought one it was the beginning of my education 83gl1100 Ural 20" of wheel lead it was a parade rig(it only went straight),I bought it long distance and the question I asked the owner : Was it put together by a pro sidecar installer ? Answer: yes of course. Then I found his by line was "affordable sidecar solutions " I 'll do anything no matter how stupid or unethical it is to not charge you much.
A Ural is far better than any of that behavior, but that is a reflection on US retail (let the buyer beware).
I will admit a 1 WD Ural that could manage 65 mph without shortening its service life would take care of about 80 % of most sidecarist needs other than ego.
I've had mine going over 90 but I don't ride it there much, I don't really enjoy interstates if there's any other way to get there (I've met BMW guys who limit their interstate travel to 1k per year). I wish they would do one with a slightly over square motor that would rev a little. But I doubt the Ural clutch an transmission need to be abused more as of course HP is torque multiplied by RPM.
Tinkering there's enough to do on the German farm implements, especially if you start running them thru water crossing etc.
A cool off road Ural for me would be 1wd a real aggressive tire in back, extra lights,gas and a lightweight winch.DB
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #37
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
I wish they would do one with a slightly over square motor that would rev a little. But I doubt the Ural clutch an transmission need to be abused more as of course HP is torque multiplied by RPM.

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

... ya slacker

Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #38
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

... ya slacker

Thanks Luke, it was a half assed attempt.DB
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #39
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I own a 2006 Ural Patrol with a R90 engine along with several other motorcycles. Nothing I have owned is the least bit practical and all cost more to drive than my car. If it puts a smile on your face you have the correct bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
If you ride a Ural to the limits in cornering I have found the soft steel spokes start failing. Typically they stretch and tightening them to true the wheel causes the threads to fail. Re-spiking the pusher seems to have solved this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #41
Jakhack
Jakhack

Oddometer: 19
Winter riding

I have had 7 sidecar rigs since 1979 and rode them all in the winter. Most of the time I loved it. I do not have a Ural, but have ridden them and they are on my bucket list. But for now I ride a KLR650/Velorex rig in the winter with knobbies and it works great.

I also have a K1200LT with a Motorvation Formula II sidecar and have ridden that in the winter, but do not do that anymore for several reasons:
> It is a heavy rig and doesn't want to stop very well on ice asnd snow.
> It is too powerful and it is hard to feather the throttle when starting out on ice. Too easy to get into trouble.
> The salt and other chemicals they put on the highway in Minnesota would have ruined the bike in short order. I found a detail shop who cleaned it and removed all the corrosive stuff. Put it in the shed and it has never seen winter again.

So I ride the KLR rig which gets washed in the spring and doesn't seem much worse for wear. It is a hoot riding when it snows - I love floating over 2" of fresh snow down a country lane. But there are other winter issues to deal with...

If you have a damper it needs to be adjustable or be very aware that depending upon how cold it is, it may stiffen up considerably. Imagine my surprise when I tried to make as turn and the damper was rigid. Thankfully, there was no traffic, but I did visit the ditch - and drreamed about having a 2wd Ural in the future to get out of these predicaments.

Below 0 degrees, I could never keep a shield from fogging and had to get a snowmobile helmet with an electric shield. It was a very good investment. The one I have is a modular with an internal drop down sun visor, and works great.

The other essential in my opinion is heated grips. They work better than heated gloves for me. In fact, I now use handle bar muffs (I think they are from Moose), and modified them so I could screw the mirrors back on after the covers were installed. It works extrememly well, except you cannot see your hands. Rather than fumble around trying to find various switches with gloves on, I tried it one day without gloves. I was surprised that with the heated grips on, I did not need gloves. Since that time, I don't ride with gloves most of the time, or if I do, they are thin summetr gloves.

Regarding heated gear, my KLR will not support using high wattage gear, so I put a monster battery in the sidecar behind the seat and hook my heated stuff to that. Works great, does not wear your own battery down, and provides needed ballast. Just put it on a maintainer when you get home.

Finally, if I were in a state that allowed studs, I would definitely have them on, at least on the front to help with steering and braking. Sometimes, if you are going too fast on an icy surface and try to turn, inertia just keeps pushing you straight ahead, no matter how or where you turn the front wheel. I have not tried chains on a front wheel, but I do have them for my rear and have only used them once. Even though I am an experienced winter rider, I think if it is so bad that you need chains, you should probably not be out there.

I did get caught once in an unexpected winter snow that started to pile up. I was able to fabricaate some "chains" by getting some of those heavy rubber stretchy things (not bungee cords) in a short length. I made my "chains" by hooking one end to a spoke and winding it around the rear tire and finishing by hooking to another spoke. You only need 3 or 4 of these to get you going, and although you have to travel fairly slowly, you can make good progress. I don't recommend this routinely, but it can get you home in a pinch.

And to those who ridicule winter sidecar drivers, I always say - no one thinks the bank president is crazy when he races across the lake at 70 MPH at 10 below zero on a snowmobile. The only difference is that I don't have his money, and he isn't having as much fun as I am!! So go for it.
Jakhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #42
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,012
+1 I also have a KLR/Velorex rig. Fun all the time, no matter the weather.

Jim
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #43
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakhack View Post
... The only difference is that I don't have his money, and he isn't having as much fun as I am!! So go for it.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #44
Thumper74 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Sorry about the delayed response, I work 7 days a week and go to school full-time too.

I've wanted a Ural for a looong time. I also want an ATV. The issue with an ATV is that I would need to haul it somewhere to ride it. The closest place is a couple of hours away. I've given up on ATV for any practical use. I love that someone mentioned the Ural being a Russian ATV, which is sort a problem solver!

I'm not saying that the Ural is going to be 100% slab commuter. Far from it. I'm attracted to it because I can take my dog for rides, take him camping, use it as an ATV, etc.

I would LOVE a chance to ride one to make an educated decision. I have talked to the sidecar guy (I'm terrible with names) in Marietta a few years ago.
Thumper74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #45
xsPain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I bought my 2007 patrol new from Chicago Ural (no longer around). For 2007 until the summer of 2011, it was my only winter vehicle, though I had other motorcycles and would switch it up in the summer. My Ural still saw one or two long trips every year, and when it went into storage in May, 2011, it had a bit over 66,000km.

I never shied away from interstate travel, the 750 motor could hold 70 without being wide open over the plains, though it was happier at slower speeds and off limited access roads. MPG was pretty awful at those speeds too, but I managed 3 saddle sore rides, so the bike is certainly capable (mostly).

I have issues with it - a broken push rod just after break in (warrantee covered), the ignition failed (it is Italian), and just before it went into storage it started jumping out of third gear (it turned out the gears weren't aligned properly, probably from it's initial assembly, causing excessive wear). That last thing is being fixed right now.

I happen to really like my ural and would take it just about anywhere, though my 250 has become my primary travel bike. The 2014 look cool, but if you can get a good price on a 2012 you will probably be happy with it. No, I am not selling mine. At the moment. Probably.
xsPain is offline   Reply With Quote