Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #76
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Of course ... repairing them in the middle of the road is dangerous.
Now that's funny!

Actually SWMBO wouldn't allow 2 sidecars in the the garage at the same time, but regardless I have no need nor desire to own a Ural now that I've seen what a real rig will do.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #77
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Look again old man, your speedo is in Kilometers, your 300+ is only 186+ of my miles! Hahahahaha! Nice try geezer! (btw, I'm 60, so you ain't that old! ) How happy is you passenger after 300km?
Weak Bad,
Duh, is my odometer really in kilometers? No sh*t? Boy, you are one smart cookie. All along I though I was getting 50 miles per gallon on my Ural.

Your idiotic post above just blew what little faith I had in your opinions.

If you are worn after 100 miles on a Ural then you need some gym time to get some upper body strength or else you needed somebody to set up your Ural properly for you.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #78
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Now that's funny!

Actually SWMBO wouldn't allow 2 sidecars in the the garage at the same time, but regardless I have no need nor desire to own a Ural now that I've seen what a real rig will do.
From Weak Bad
"Easily do the 200+ mile day and no drama, no stress and all grins all day."
Boy that is impressive.
Iron butt Bob.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #79
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,282
Wow Strong you've got a new admirer a 72 y/o with a W650 and a Ural your really on your way to top of the adv social roster. Don't even wonder why I think most of adv\hacks is beyond contempt
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #80
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Gotta love the internet.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #81
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Gotta love the internet.

You hit that one out of the Park Sancho my favorite.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #82
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
YOU KIDS, GET OUTTA MY YARD!

You guys are crackin' me up! 200 miles in a single day? You should be able to do that on a pogo stick! Maybe I'm just not old enough for this sidecar stuff. But really, Craig, you're only 2 years older than me(I'm 57)...we went to different schools together. I routinely do 400 miles a day on 2 wheels, occasionally twice that. Will a sidecar really cut that by 50% or more?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #83
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Until you get on to how to ride one they are much slower than a 2 wheeler and you can cut your distance back a bit.It's about learning to allow the rigs tendencies to help with the turning
Significant others may want to stop and look, in the MIssissppi river valley its easy to ride 5 hrs and only find you've covered less than 200 miles, during the Ag season you may meet a tractor or combine and one of you is turning around.DB
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #84
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

You guys are crackin' me up! 200 miles in a single day? You should be able to do that on a pogo stick! Maybe I'm just not old enough for this sidecar stuff. But really, Craig, you're only 2 years older than me(I'm 57)...we went to different schools together. I routinely do 400 miles a day on 2 wheels, occasionally twice that. Will a sidecar really cut that by 50% or more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Until you get on to how to ride one they are much slower than a 2 wheeler and you can cut your distance back a bit.It's about learning to allow the rigs tendencies to help with the turning
Significant others may want to stop and look, in the MIssissppi river valley its easy to ride 5 hrs and only find you've covered less than 200 miles, during the Ag season you may meet a tractor or combine and one of you is turning around.DB

I've done 600 miles in 12 hours, destination rides. And 300 miles in 10 hours, sightseeing with lots of stops.
It depends on what the day's schedule is, but distance is definitely doable.
Consideration for riding partner, human or canine will always be a factor.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #85
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I've done 400 miles in a 8 hours alone, and less than 200 miles in over 10 hours with the wife.
If I'm alone I can just get on and go like when I drove longhaul. With the wife, It's hard to do more than an hour at a time before she sees something to stop for, comfort isn't an issue.
There's no doubt if I wanted to do a lot of miles on the freeway on a regular basis, a Ural would not be my first choice, and from what most folks say that would go for sidecars in general.
I'm sure some will claim otherwise, but there are reasons sidecars are such a rare beast.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #86
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post

You guys seem to have read into the 200 miles in a day wrong. I never said I was tired, that was the Geezer who put those words into play. I said:
Quote:
We would take the Ural out on the weekends and do 80 to 100 mile "rides" in the hills around Ventura County California and like I said by the time you got home you felt like you had been on an adventure. With the current rig, after breakfast we'll decide to hop in and ride up to Santa Barbara wine country, do some wine tasting, and be home for dinner. Easily do the 200+ mile day and no drama, no stress and all grins all day.
Let me simplify a couple of things; 80 to 100 miles in the hills and twisties in Ventura county on a Ural seems like an adventure. The adventure was not a physical challenge, but rather an avdenture as to why the fuck is it taking so long and do I really have to stop for fuel already style of an adventure. What at one time was an all day Ural adventure, is now only a small part of (less than 1/2) of a day with everyone involved happy. No physical challenge, was ever brought up or intended by me. Not racing and not pushing, a nice even steady pace, with a case of wine in the trunk.

The first trip taken on the rig (Pic shown in my above post) was started at noon the day Dauntless finished the installation. I took the rig directly to Seatac where I picked up SWMBO who had flown in to ride home with me and we headed south along the coast to Lincoln City, OR for a first day of 270 miles. The second day was down to Fort Bragg, Ca for a nice 470 mile day along the coast. The final day was from Fort Bragg to home along the 101 was a bit of a long one at 550 miles in around 13 hours including all stops.

The biggest drama of that trip was the stock GSA seat pinching my ball sack causing the same type of pain you Uralistas do for many of us around here. Much more endurance is needed to put up with the Barnones and Windmills around here who fail to have a sense of humor than riding a Ural (or anything else for that matter).
Old 02-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #87
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 875
Oh my Dog!----Just go ride already
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #88
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by norton(kel) View Post
Oh my Dog!----Just go ride already
He would, but the GSA had the dreaded Beemer seal leak............

Just kidding, they all work and they all break, don't much matter what decal is on the tank.

Ride my little winged monkeys, ride! To paraphrase a line from the great movie Spaceballs, Ride 'em if ya got 'em!

Speaking of which, the longer days and slowly retreating glaciers here have me thinking of pulling the rig out of the underground bunker and driving it!

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.

Montague screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 10:49 AM
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #89
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

WeakBad,
You said "We would take the Ural out on the weekends and do 80 to 100 mile "rides" in the hills around Ventura County California and like I said by the time you got home you felt like you had been on an adventure. "
Kinda sounds like you were saying you were worn out after a 100 mile ride on your Ural.
And then to brag about doing 200 miles on your new rig.Wow. Superman.
Call me a Geezer if you want but you are one weak person. Might be too late for any gym work. I feel sorry for you.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #90
redtails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
While all these are interesting arguments, it's no more significant than coke vs pepsi. I happen to have a new '14 Ural along with my other motorcycles, so I guess I've not really established a bias.

I've been riding a long time and one thing I've noticed is, while some people may change brands, their conviction of correctness never does.

One's choice of what they ride can not be measured on a spec sheet, that's why in arguments like these, no one wins. Especially since we all have more in common than our differences based on what we ride. A motorcycle, two or three wheels, moves you inside long before you click it into gear. And if you ride, you're my friend.
redtails is offline   Reply With Quote