Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #2131
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Seems that in order to install the new steering dampener, you'll have to change the lower tree... And utility/quality of this dampener is not top! I will certainly investigate in this as I want to change the risers and one of the problem is the stock dampener getting in the way...
Ural will be offering a bolt on kit for the older rigs that requires no modifications, and its a high quality 18 step adjustable damper. The stock friction damper is simply removed.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #2132
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
New Damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Ural will be offering a bolt on kit for the older rigs that requires no modifications, and its a high quality 18 step adjustable damper. The stock friction damper is simply removed.
Ski must have been wrong in his assertion..
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #2133
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Seems that in order to install the new steering dampener, you'll have to change the lower tree... And utility/quality of this dampener is not top! I will certainly investigate in this as I want to change the risers and one of the problem is the stock dampener getting in the way...

For steering dampener, just throw a wet towel on it :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #2134
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,120
Maybe have a look here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941290

A warned man is worth double. In which case he has already a monkey to weigh the sidecar.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #2135
Emperorzante
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Uralphobia

In Freudian terms a "conversion neurosis," wherein the intensity of desire for the most desired object conflicts with deeply-ingrained social inhibitions against consummating the desire, precipitating a irrational panic characterized by ideation, and sometimes actualization, of violent attack against said object. The most frequently-encountered form is the panic of a homophobe confronting unavoidable interaction with ...

His highly conflicted attraction to Urals notwithstanding, the author is nonetheless correct: The Ural IS cantankerous, unreliable, funky, prone to more frequent breakdown than most other marques, and dealers are like as not to be "Joe's Lawnmowers" with a side in Urals.

But this is ADVENTURE riding, right?

For the very same reasons the author fulminates, a Ural offers a challenge to skill and resourcefulness in every cross country trip, the support received from the few trustworthy dealers that do exist when one of them drop-ships parts to the place of breakdown, and the couple of extra days the event affords to become better acquainted with the locale, the inhabitants thereof, and the human resources for assistance in repair that said folks will inevitably counsel and deliver. In a number of ways, the challenge is similar to cold-season back-country travel by map and compass, where one might meet and share stories with isolated pockets of humanity in their winter quarters, but not so physically arduous that the superannuated are excluded form participation.

Yes, 'tis true that the Ural is a "substandard" Russian product. But it is the same substandard product, along with a number of similarly substandard but wickedly designed others (e.g., Moisan-Nagant firearms, the T-34 tank), and Ivan's motherwit in keeping them all in motion, that kicked Hitler's ass all the way back to Berlin.

Russians have been dealing ingeniously since dirt with their substandard products. An alert tourist in Russia will be amazed by the 40, 50, and 60 year-old Urals, Dniepers and Heaven knows what else still giving service as daily drivers, hauling produce or tools, some with ladders slung on the side, each with its own peculiar accretion of owner modifications. Very much like most of the Third World, which has a knack for making all kinds of machines run forever.

One misses the fun altogether by thinking of the Ural as a motorcycle, to be judged according to all the modern anal-retentive standards of slick manufacture. Nay, not a motorcycle, but kinetic sculpture whose beauty causes folks to break out in raptures wherever one drives it. And as a thing of beauty and joy that brings a sense of participation in something greater than oneself wherever it goes, it is a terrific tool for witnessing ..... heh, heh.

By the way, I have a Gold Wing, purchased before I learned about Urals. It is for sale because, compared to the Ural, it is, well, BOR-ing. Look up "Arkywing" on the Naked Gold Wing site. It's really cherry, and it will never ... yawn ... let you down.
Emperorzante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #2136
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperorzante View Post
In Freudian terms a "conversion neurosis," wherein the intensity of desire for the most desired object conflicts with deeply-ingrained social inhibitions against consummating the desire, precipitating a irrational panic characterized by ideation, and sometimes actualization, of violent attack against said object. The most frequently-encountered form is the panic of a homophobe confronting unavoidable interaction with ...

His highly conflicted attraction to Urals notwithstanding, the author is nonetheless correct: The Ural IS cantankerous, unreliable, funky, prone to more frequent breakdown than most other marques, and dealers are like as not to be "Joe's Lawnmowers" with a side in Urals.

For the very same reasons the author fulminates, a Ural offers a challenge to skill and resourcefulness in every cross country trip, the support received from the few trustworthy dealers that do exist when one of them drop-ships parts to the place of breakdown, and the couple of extra days the event affords to become better acquainted with the locale, the inhabitants thereof, and the human resources for assistance in repair that said folks will inevitably counsel and deliver. In a number of ways, the challenge is similar to cold-season back-country travel by map and compass, where one might meet and share stories with isolated pockets of humanity in their winter quarters, but not so physically arduous that the superannuated are excluded form participation.

Yes, 'tis true that the Ural is a "substandard" Russian product. But it is the same substandard product, along with a number of similarly substandard but wickedly designed others (e.g., Moisan-Nagant firearms, the T-34 tank), and Ivan's motherwit in keeping them all in motion, that kicked Hitler's ass all the way back to Berlin.

Russians have been dealing ingeniously since dirt with their substandard products. An alert tourist in Russia will be amazed by the 40, 50, and 60 year-old Urals, Dniepers and Heaven knows what else still giving service as daily drivers, hauling produce or tools, some with ladders slung on the side, each with its own peculiar accretion of owner modifications. Very much like most of the Third World, which has a knack for making all kinds of machines run forever.

One misses the fun altogether by thinking of the Ural as a motorcycle, to be judged according to all the modern anal-retentive standards of slick manufacture. Nay, not a motorcycle, but kinetic sculpture whose beauty causes folks to break out in raptures wherever one drives it. And as a thing of beauty and joy that brings a sense of participation in something greater than oneself wherever it goes, it is a terrific tool for witnessing ..... heh, heh.

By the way, I have a Gold Wing, purchased before I learned about Urals. It is for sale because, compared to the Ural, it is, well, BOR-ing. Look up "Arkywing" on the Naked Gold Wing site. It's really cherry, and it will never ... yawn ... let you down.
too long, didn't read.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 AM   #2137
teamgrizzly
Even more advanced n00b!

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperorzante View Post

Well said, but I don't think you're helping Bok...er...he who shall not be named's cause. But as a fellow Ural owner, I think you might be well received over at Soviet Steeds. I think you rather eloquently captured the reasons why it is such a joy to ride.

Translation for 100mpg: It's fun to ride because it's different.

Mike
teamgrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:32 AM   #2138
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgrizzly View Post
Translation for 100mpg: It's fun to ride because it's different.
Mike
Thanks for the translation, I needed it also.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #2139
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Thanks for the translation, I needed it also.
I don't see his application to the Governing Council of the Ural Cabal so not sure that he qualifies to buy. We are very selective ever since the error of allowing a certain person who shall not be named to own one- and look at the trouble that has caused!

The paperwork must be in order before the honor of Ural ownership can be legally bestowed.

Signed,

The 1% Club

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #2140
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
I don't see his application to the Governing Council of the Ural Cabal so not sure that he qualifies to buy. We are very selective ever since the error of allowing a certain person who shall not be named to own one- and look at the trouble that has caused!

The paperwork must be in order before the honor of Ural ownership can be legally bestowed.

Signed,

The 1% Club
Sonny Bargers fake noob?
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #2141
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher Bob View Post
Sonny Bargers fake noob?
1% as in the top of the economic heap defined by Occupy Protesters who see themselves as the 99%..................

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #2142
lakesuperiorural
n00b

Oddometer: 1
response to ural negativity

I am new here but have been riding cycles for well over 40 years and have a few comments in response to the Ural basher. I do not own a Ural but have a friend locally who does but I have owned Hondas, 2 triumphs, 2 Yamahas and a Suzuki. My son owns or has owned a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and a Suzuki. Between us we have over 70 years of motorcycling experience.

I had a 1 year old Honda that had a crankshaft failure at less than 8000 miles. No dealer in the US had a replacement crank, it had to come from Japan and I waited fron April until October to get it! The bike rusted, as will any bike made of ferrous metals. Nothing new there. The Yamahas I had ate through starters like popcorn. we often had to pull start them with a rope and another vehicle. The Virago I had had an internal oil filter and no dealer EVER had the correct gaskets for it, so access cover always leaked.

My son bought a brand new Suzuki GSXR 1100 and the first time it was ridden, uopn stopping it, it would'nt restart-the charging system had failed. He had one of his Yamahas at the local dealer for service, dealer parked it on blacktop lot on a hot day, it sank, fell over and busted off the mirror. Dealer refused to replace the mirror. Any make can have dealers who are less than stellar.

My son also had an XL 250 Honda than quit everytime it rained. Water ran into the electrics and killed it-and it was an enduro machine!

My Triumphs continually leak, spew, throw oil and generally make a mess. One of the kick starter levers did bust on it as did the guy claim one did on a Ural. On my Bonneville, the internal racketing mechanism on the kick starter failed and locked up. The gas petcocks leak on both, the carbs will flood on occasion and they also will rust. One of them burned thru a set of rings in under 5000 miles which necessitated an engine rebuild-dealer didn't cover that. Valve covers have cracked, both machines have stranded me on the side of the road, they are very unreliable but I still love em.

I have a Suzuki Cavalcade which had had its regulator fail, leaving me for dead over 1000 miles from home. It also goes thru expensive tires.

Bottom line, after reading through many, many Ural threads on several websites and talking with my frined who owns a Ural, is that they are no worse than any brand motorcycle. (Incidently, my buddy rode his Ural completely around the USA, to all 4 corners, in one year, logging over 20,000 miles and had NO, yes, NO mechanical problems. So, I can see no reason for bashing the Ural to such a degree. To me, they appear no worse or no better than any other make. They do have their place, though, they are not road racers or setup for high-speed, Interstate flyin. Ask yourself how long would a Harley Ultra Glide or Suzuki GSXR1100 last busting thru the mud roads of Russia or Montana for that matter? Or getting back into a good fishing spot over 10 miles of logging roads? Each bike has its own merits for what it is made for.

I hope to own a new 2014 Ural in the next 6-12 months. I won't have any problems plunking down my cash.
lakesuperiorural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #2143
Montague
UDF Adventurer

The Ural Cabal has convened a special Plenary Session and voted unanimously: you Sir are approved to purchase!

I am sure you will enjoy your Ural when it comes home with you, good riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiorural View Post
I am new here but have been riding cycles for well over 40 years and have a few comments in response to the Ural basher. I do not own a Ural but have a friend locally who does but I have owned Hondas, 2 triumphs, 2 Yamahas and a Suzuki. My son owns or has owned a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and a Suzuki. Between us we have over 70 years of motorcycling experience.

I had a 1 year old Honda that had a crankshaft failure at less than 8000 miles. No dealer in the US had a replacement crank, it had to come from Japan and I waited fron April until October to get it! The bike rusted, as will any bike made of ferrous metals. Nothing new there. The Yamahas I had ate through starters like popcorn. we often had to pull start them with a rope and another vehicle. The Virago I had had an internal oil filter and no dealer EVER had the correct gaskets for it, so access cover always leaked.

My son bought a brand new Suzuki GSXR 1100 and the first time it was ridden, uopn stopping it, it would'nt restart-the charging system had failed. He had one of his Yamahas at the local dealer for service, dealer parked it on blacktop lot on a hot day, it sank, fell over and busted off the mirror. Dealer refused to replace the mirror. Any make can have dealers who are less than stellar.

My son also had an XL 250 Honda than quit everytime it rained. Water ran into the electrics and killed it-and it was an enduro machine!

My Triumphs continually leak, spew, throw oil and generally make a mess. One of the kick starter levers did bust on it as did the guy claim one did on a Ural. On my Bonneville, the internal racketing mechanism on the kick starter failed and locked up. The gas petcocks leak on both, the carbs will flood on occasion and they also will rust. One of them burned thru a set of rings in under 5000 miles which necessitated an engine rebuild-dealer didn't cover that. Valve covers have cracked, both machines have stranded me on the side of the road, they are very unreliable but I still love em.

I have a Suzuki Cavalcade which had had its regulator fail, leaving me for dead over 1000 miles from home. It also goes thru expensive tires.

Bottom line, after reading through many, many Ural threads on several websites and talking with my frined who owns a Ural, is that they are no worse than any brand motorcycle. (Incidently, my buddy rode his Ural completely around the USA, to all 4 corners, in one year, logging over 20,000 miles and had NO, yes, NO mechanical problems. So, I can see no reason for bashing the Ural to such a degree. To me, they appear no worse or no better than any other make. They do have their place, though, they are not road racers or setup for high-speed, Interstate flyin. Ask yourself how long would a Harley Ultra Glide or Suzuki GSXR1100 last busting thru the mud roads of Russia or Montana for that matter? Or getting back into a good fishing spot over 10 miles of logging roads? Each bike has its own merits for what it is made for.

I hope to own a new 2014 Ural in the next 6-12 months. I won't have any problems plunking down my cash.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #2144
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I think this is exactly the OP's point. You are comparing a modern Ural to motorcycles from decades ago. My modern Bonneville has 130,000 kilometers on the clock, factory stock, with not even a light bulb failure in nearly seven years of riding. I hope the 2014 Ural delivers on the advertising promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiorural View Post

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #2145
BigAround
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm happy with mine and that's all that matters to me.