ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #7216
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer
 
true grip's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Centerville TN
Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I think it's more the old "It ain't the bike" mantra.

Just breaking her in to answer to the finger snap.

Are you trying to imagine being horizontal? In your dreams
__________________
This ain't no coon hunt
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #7217
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Are you trying to imagine being horizontal? In your dreams
Just have to rotate the photo. Close enough for me.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #7218
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb
 
BobLoblaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Just have to rotate the photo. Close enough for me.
I did, once clockwise, once counterclockwise
__________________
Ride till you can't - Marty Hill
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #7219
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Bogotá Colombia
Oddometer: 258
Wind screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Actually the Z is the probably the one I'd go for. I don't have much use for the ESA on the ZE, but I can definitely make use of the cruise control and adjustable windscreen on the Z.
I also have to add, besides my previuos comment on the cruise control, that the adjustable windscreen dances and moves a lot during off road, specially if you use the GPS bracket. After a total of first 1000 kmts, including some 600 off road, I had to adjust all the screws and nuts of the head lights, windscreen, and other elements of the motorcycle´s head.
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #7220
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,204
Check your steering head nut too. Common to work loose.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #7221
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Bogotá Colombia
Oddometer: 258
Center stand st1200z 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Many thanks Juan, I ordered the centerstand from StadiumYamaha in USA and thanks to your post I will order the remaining nuts, bolts, springs and rubber stopper from them.
My 21 inch front and 18 inch rear were ordered to Woodys Wheel Works and came complete with hub and spokes, also sealed for tubeless but I recommend not to seal them and use tubes. Very good service and not expensive if you consider the prices they charge in our countries. I had the discs (3) so I ordered the special bolts to fit them in the wheels. They also fitted the sensor rotors. Highly recommended. For the rear I had to reorder another rim (3.5") to fit a wider tyre (140-80-18) because the 2.5" they originally provided could not hold well a Heidenau K60 in dirt roads.
Saludos desde Chile,
Roberto

ROBERTO, I just got all the parts for the center stand, and also the parts catalog for the 2014 model.

The 2014 parts catalog DOES NOT include the center stand, so I ordered the parts from the 2011 catalog. As far as I can see, that parts fit the 2014 model and also the center stand fits well.

I will email the parts catalog to you I you give me your email.

I will isntall it tonight.

Saludos
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #7222
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Actually the Z is the probably the one I'd go for. I don't have much use for the ESA on the ZE, but I can definitely make use of the cruise control and adjustable windscreen on the Z.
Opposite for me. Not much chance to use cruise where I ride -- twisty back roads or congested highways where I'm constantly on the gas -- but the ESA would be very handy given the constantly changing road conditions.
__________________
2014 350 EXC-F
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #7223
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Bogotá Colombia
Oddometer: 258
Indeed, after some 50 kmts the fuc.... Nut got loose. I was thinking it was something extraordinary, but for what you said now I realized is a common problem. Indeed, at Yamaha they told me that the STs report very often that problem.

The 2014 steering nut is different than previous models.

I had a really hard time trying to find the tool (bit) to tighten the nut. Besides I did not have the center stand and was hell to fix the problem. Finally a tractor mechanic had a tool a bit bigger but I managed to tighten the steering nut, but I ruined the nice aluminum nut.



The nut needs 130 newtons of torque, and I had ordered a new one. I will put some loclite on it for have tight.

What a stupid problem for a dual purpose bike.



Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
__________________
Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá-Colombia
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #7224
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...
 
Thagua's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 353
2014 Parts Catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valderrama View Post
ROBERTO, I just got all the parts for the center stand, and also the parts catalog for the 2014 model.

The 2014 parts catalog DOES NOT include the center stand, so I ordered the parts from the 2011 catalog. As far as I can see, that parts fit the 2014 model and also the center stand fits well.

I will email the parts catalog to you I you give me your email.

I will isntall it tonight.

Saludos
Gracias Juan, please mail to thagua@gmail.com. Since I'm dismantling my 2011 Hyper Tenere, I have to consider if I'll leave the turn signal led lamps and the heated grips bought from Yamaha (very expensive) ... the 2014 Z model has small turn signals but not sure if they are led. If you need any plastic part of the cowling as a replacement made in fiberglass don't hesitate to get in touch. I have all of them.
Saludos,
Roberto
__________________
'Let's go adventuring'
Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #7225
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Bogotá Colombia
Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Gracias Juan, please mail to thagua@gmail.com. Since I'm dismantling my 2011 Hyper Tenere, I have to consider if I'll leave the turn signal led lamps and the heated grips bought from Yamaha (very expensive) ... the 2014 Z model has small turn signals but not sure if they are led. If you need any plastic part of the cowling as a replacement made in fiberglass don't hesitate to get in touch. I have all of them.
Saludos,
Roberto
They are leds and they are indeed vary nice.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
__________________
Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá-Colombia
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 PM   #7226
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 632
My bike in Valdez

My bike in Valdez, Alaska

See more pictures here:
http://www.riding-the-usa.com/2014/0...to-valdez.html







__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #7227
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Oman
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post

Went through the link, stunning pics George! ....Are those panniers Holan Nomadas? They look good on the bike!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #7228
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddysoles View Post
Went through the link, stunning pics George! ....Are those panniers Holan Nomadas? They look good on the bike!
Thanks

No, they are SW-Motech Trax
__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #7229
kalho13
Adventurer
 
kalho13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Southwest Michigan
Oddometer: 34
New Super Tenere Owner

I just added a 'new' 2012 Super Tenere to the garage. I have read some great things about the bike and am anxious to ride if the snow ever melts this year.

I just had a couple of questions about the bike. What kind of fuel mileage do you get? Is everybody running premium fuel as the owners manual says is required? Is there anything I need to pay special attention for the break-in process?
kalho13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #7230
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalho13 View Post
I just added a 'new' 2012 Super Tenere to the garage. I have read some great things about the bike and am anxious to ride if the snow ever melts this year.

I just had a couple of questions about the bike. What kind of fuel mileage do you get? Is everybody running premium fuel as the owners manual says is required? Is there anything I need to pay special attention for the break-in process?
1) It is very easy to get 200 miles out of a tank to reserve (about 45mpg - us).
2) The bike will run on chicken shit.
3) Keep and eye on the spoke tension, especially the rear. They do come loose. Once the bike has done a thousand miles or so they settle down. If you loose any, you can only buy a full set.
4) Remove both axles as soon as possible and grease them. They are not a rubbing part but there is virtually no rust protection on them and if they corrode, they are a bitch to get out for future tyre changes. (same for all Yamaha's sadly)
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014