Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #11311
ChasM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Turn Signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mount prospect View Post
Can anyone tell me if my new 14' GSW will have self cancel turn signals?

Yes, although it seems like it takes forever for them to cancel at least on my bike.
'08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W(Revloc
'74 Norton 850 Commando
ChasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #11312
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasM View Post
Yes, although it seems like it takes forever for them to cancel at least on my bike.
Agreed; I have only had mine self-cancel a handful of times over the past year ... and then to the chagrin of folks following me. It takes an eternity! Nearly always mine are cancelled by physically moving the switch.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #11313
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
I didn't even know they self cancel.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #11314
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:

I think the manual says 10 seconds or 300 metres of motion. Wouldn't swear to it. It's just long enough for them to deactivate on freeway slip ramps.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #11315
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I didn't even know they self cancel.
All 1200 GS from 2004 ( not sure before that ) have self cancelling turn lights.

They cancel either after a time period or after a specific distance.

The GSW can be programed by the dealer to different settings. I don't remeber if earlier 1200's are also programable. For the GSW I know for certains that there are 3 options for time/distance but don't recall what they are.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #11316
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thanks.

I wonder. Is there any BMW that does that?
Because there MUST be a BMW that does that, else where did the bad copy/paste came from?
My F800GS does a full sweep on startup. My R1200GS does not. My manual doesn't mention it (Rev 4) so it's possible the Rev 1 or 2 models did the sweep but it was removed in a subsequent software update before the manual was updated correspondingly.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #11317
c4miles
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2014 1200GSA Surging

Hello,

I have over 20,000 km's on my new 2014 1200GSA and noticed the surging issue in 2nd & 3rd gear, light load and 2,000 to 4,000 RPM range. Just happens to be where I spend a lot of time and it took a while for anyone to even acknowledge that the problem exists.

After asking my amazing local dealer to run my complaint further "up the food chain" with BMW in Canada, I received a response from BMW Germany ...imagine!!! They acknowledged it is an issue related to strict emission requirements and at the moment there is no fix, but they are working on it. I was very pleased with that quick reply .... ah ha, I'm not imagining things.

Absolutely love my new moto, this is my 3rd 1200GSA. Amazing how it tracks in the dirt and the seat is plush and cruise control is the best. Have taken it into some real gnarly stuff in Mexico and then a most unbelievable journey through BC, Yukon and Alaska.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not waiting for a BMW fix .... I installed a Power Commander and I have my bike back ... it is dreamy smooth and fuel economy improved by about 10% (using the European Map)
c4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #11318
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,093
Note to self: Add commander to WGS too.
Indeed my GS with commander is more fuel efficient (contrary to popular belief).
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #11319
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4miles View Post
Hello,

I have over 20,000 km's on my new 2014 1200GSA and noticed the surging issue in 2nd & 3rd gear, light load and 2,000 to 4,000 RPM range. Just happens to be where I spend a lot of time and it took a while for anyone to even acknowledge that the problem exists.

After asking my amazing local dealer to run my complaint further "up the food chain" with BMW in Canada, I received a response from BMW Germany ...imagine!!! They acknowledged it is an issue related to strict emission requirements and at the moment there is no fix, but they are working on it. I was very pleased with that quick reply .... ah ha, I'm not imagining things.

Absolutely love my new moto, this is my 3rd 1200GSA. Amazing how it tracks in the dirt and the seat is plush and cruise control is the best. Have taken it into some real gnarly stuff in Mexico and then a most unbelievable journey through BC, Yukon and Alaska.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not waiting for a BMW fix .... I installed a Power Commander and I have my bike back ... it is dreamy smooth and fuel economy improved by about 10% (using the European Map)

WTF! A response from the mother ship, no, can't be, you're either hallucinating or dreaming!

Or could we be witnessing a big change in the way BMW does business. I've seen other encouraging signs from them recently: 2014 RT recall was well done, extended fuel strip warranty to 12 years, finally a recall on the fuel flange/punp issue. Well, I'm hoping this is the new BMW, only time will tell.

Paul
Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #11320
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the info...my dealer just told me it's normal and didn't raise the issue. So does the power commander come with the euro map? I thought you had to dyno and have custom map made...so if it's plug and play I'd like to look into it. Do you have a link or can you provide more details on what's involved?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #11321
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
The trick is to turn them on sooner.

2013 GS1200LC R1200RT for sale
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #11322
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Hello,

Mine didn’t experience the surging until I got home from my last trip (2,500 miles around Europe) - then I started noticing a slight amount of surging around 30mph in 3rd gear which occurred also on cruise control. It was due for a service anyway so I mentioned it when I brought it in and asked them to take it for a test ride before carrying out the service.

The only other thing I mentioned was that the Gear Shift Assist Pro seemed to miss the odd shift when conditions were correct (maybe 1 in 100).

I’m not sure what they did besides the usual things for a 6k service - it’s possible new firmware was installed on the bike - but both the surging and GSAP issues are now 100% resolved, and the bike has run like clockwork since.

I suspect ECE and DOT models have slightly different emissions standards, but if they have resolved it here (and if it was indeed a firmware update), they should have a resolution for yours soon as well. Fingers crossed!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #11323
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
This new model is slowly winning me over, but after my whirlwind affair with the F800GS, and subsequent falling out of love, and then back in love....well....I want to make sure the 1200 is the one for me before I go spending ridiculous amounts of money.

I like the feel and the ride. What I don't like is the stigma of final drive failures from the previous model. Now I fully understand that these were limited in numbers, and statistically they likely fall into the "expected warranty failure rates", but seeing as I'll be travelling in remote areas fully loaded I'm just a little too paranoid about these pics of final drive failures from the older model that my "friends" keep sending me every time I mention a GSA/WC.

Did BMW dramatically change the final drive setup, or is it basically just a mirror image of the previous models? Did they change the way the bearing is preloaded?

My poor little F800 has been used and abused, and to be fair has done very well. There are niggling little failures, and some items that need regular intervention and maintenance to keep the thing rolling...and there are what I would call some basic design failures. But overall it does a lot of things reasonably well.

2 up fully loaded back road touring.....not so much. Hence the desire for the 1200 GSA/WC. I found the 1200 much more comfortable for just cruising around on. The extra performance is nice too.

Not a fan of the electronic complexity from a "off road failure" point of view. Although the F800 has proved mostly to be electronically reliable...except for the charging system....the ABS...the gear position indicator...aside from those failures it's been fine.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #11324
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,674
Snowy.... My 8GS is now completely stock, with all the extras ready to hit the flea market. I take delivery of my new 12GS Trading this Tuesday. I will let ya know how it goes.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #11325
Voz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
This new model is slowly winning me over, but after my whirlwind affair with the F800GS, and subsequent falling out of love, and then back in love....well....I want to make sure the 1200 is the one for me before I go spending ridiculous amounts of money.

I like the feel and the ride. What I don't like is the stigma of final drive failures from the previous model. Now I fully understand that these were limited in numbers, and statistically they likely fall into the "expected warranty failure rates", but seeing as I'll be travelling in remote areas fully loaded I'm just a little too paranoid about these pics of final drive failures from the older model that my "friends" keep sending me every time I mention a GSA/WC.

Did BMW dramatically change the final drive setup, or is it basically just a mirror image of the previous models? Did they change the way the bearing is preloaded?

My poor little F800 has been used and abused, and to be fair has done very well. There are niggling little failures, and some items that need regular intervention and maintenance to keep the thing rolling...and there are what I would call some basic design failures. But overall it does a lot of things reasonably well.

2 up fully loaded back road touring.....not so much. Hence the desire for the 1200 GSA/WC. I found the 1200 much more comfortable for just cruising around on. The extra performance is nice too.

Not a fan of the electronic complexity from a "off road failure" point of view. Although the F800 has proved mostly to be electronically reliable...except for the charging system....the ABS...the gear position indicator...aside from those failures it's been fine.
Maaaaate! Don't worry about final drives on GSW's. I think they used a variation of the FD from the K1600?

You only have to worry about blown engines, gearbox's, cam chain issues and inoperative switchgear. That old final drive problem era is apparently well and truly behind us.

2013 R1200 GSW Red - Blown Engine & Gearbox (clutch basket nut issue) - AUG 14
2015 R1200 GSW White - NOV 14
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote