Old 12-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #181
Lawson01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinair View Post
Here is the last view I have
Awesome mods!
Just got a few more questions for ya.. I just received my quick throttle kit and cause I buy a lot of my stuff without actually lookin at my bike, I've realised I need the electrical conversion kit for the ignition, lights, horn and indicators like the one you have. But then I saw that there's no choke, since the choke is part of the stock L/H electrical switch gear it's left me with how do I attach a choke throttle?.. I know you've got a different carb, but any idea how I can add in a choke?
Lawson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #182
twinair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson01 View Post
Awesome mods!
Just got a few more questions for ya.. I just received my quick throttle kit and cause I buy a lot of my stuff without actually lookin at my bike, I've realised I need the electrical conversion kit for the ignition, lights, horn and indicators like the one you have. But then I saw that there's no choke, since the choke is part of the stock L/H electrical switch gear it's left me with how do I attach a choke throttle?.. I know you've got a different carb, but any idea how I can add in a choke?
Yes you need the left side to manage the lights. There is a choke lever but I didn't plug it because my carb has button choke.
Choke at the bar is a modernism ! (a decline ?). Forget the rope in a drawer. You will act directly on the carb lever (there is no spring). It will look more vintage. And during the warm-up, (1 mn.) you can end your weed, adjust you bowl-helm and gloves and allow the bar-people to think "Gee, what a genuine biker !"
twinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #183
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
Sorry been a bit slack in posting in this thread, I have a new project that is soaking up my time and money. Instead of a base gasket I used loctite 515.

Every garage should have some 515. It is just the best thing.
I have to wonder Dan, does leaving the base gasket off tighten up the mesh between the upper and lower cam-drive gears? I'd hate to think your mod will cause a catastrophic cam gear failure, but that 0.5mm thickness being removed has to make the cam gears mate up much tighter, which can't be a good thing.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #184
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,617
The cam rides in the crankcase, not the cylinder. The lower rocker arms are attached to a pin in the cylinder, so the small change of leaving out the gasket wouldn't have any effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
I have to wonder Dan, does leaving the base gasket off tighten up the mesh between the upper and lower cam-drive gears? I'd hate to think your mod will cause a catastrophic cam gear failure, but that 0.5mm thickness being removed has to make the cam gears mate up much tighter, which can't be a good thing.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #185
Lawson01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinair View Post
Yes you need the left side to manage the lights. There is a choke lever but I didn't plug it because my carb has button choke.
Choke at the bar is a modernism ! (a decline ?). Forget the rope in a drawer. You will act directly on the carb lever (there is no spring). It will look more vintage. And during the warm-up, (1 mn.) you can end your weed, adjust you bowl-helm and gloves and allow the bar-people to think "Gee, what a genuine biker !"
Haha yes I am lazy though so I wanted the choke on the bar. However since I've rejetted it, it only takes about 5seconds of choke and on warm days starts without any.. So I spose having the more vintage feel to it could be cool. Also where did you get your grips from? I quite like the look of them.
Lawson01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #186
twinair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson01 View Post
Haha yes I am lazy though so I wanted the choke on the bar. However since I've rejetted it, it only takes about 5seconds of choke and on warm days starts without any.. So I spose having the more vintage feel to it could be cool. Also where did you get your grips from? I quite like the look of them.
It comes with the bars: RENTHAL make, from Bardney Racing U.K.

(This shop smells castor-oil!).

twinair screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 12:23 AM
twinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #187
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Had a good look at one last week. The local fella is building up a 250.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:35 AM   #188
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 496
Any more to report? I've really enjoyed reading this thread as it comes along.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #189
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,811
Well, I have not done that much over the summer months, other than ride the ACE. An it has been great fun and quite quick across town when riding it like a Moto3 bike.

Now winter is here again. Time to do some more mods. Maybe more HP in replacing the engine with a 250. A different paint job ? Before more HP. The front forks need to be replaced with some thing more solid.

I have changed the battery location last week end by putting it under the hump.

K & N air filter

Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #190
Stan0matic
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Awesome thread, great build, and now your selling! How so; done everything or making room for the Ace 250?
Stan0matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #191
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan0matic View Post
Awesome thread, great build, and now your selling! How so; done everything or making room for the Ace 250?
It is too good sell. I just running out of room in the garage. A new some assembly required project.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #192
Gravy1
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Get a chance to fuss with the Ace again?
Gravy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #193
Culcune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
If you get stuck on the Skyteam, you should also join us at Chinariders.net There are several very mechanically inclined people as members who are familiar with all kinds of bikes, as well as Chinese ones. Hope to see you there, since this bike has not yet come to the US (Skyteam USA has shown this on their site as 'pending for something like 2 years now--in spite of their name, they are NOT the official distributor for Skyteam, nor is there one), we would all love to see one in action. There is a guy in the US who has started a 'brand' using the Skyteam chassis but with a 223cc engine, but his have not shown up either (I forgot the name), so no experience with the chassis, but plenty with wiring and the engine (most of these are the same as one another)
Culcune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #194
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,172
Or if you're not happy with your current tank.

http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/gl...tanks-72-c.asp

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #195
Just Dan OP
Bugger, Burnt toast

The ACE gets ridden a fair bit and have turned out to better than we all expected.

The only thing that is still cheesing me off is the fuel cap. It just leaks no matter how much I alter it with new gaskets. It really needs another cap an prefer one without a lock. One less thing to stuff up.

The last couple of mods have turned out to crap. In locating the battery under the seat and taking the stock air cleaner off. Because the bike is so light. The rearranging the weight higher and to rear. Really has stuffed the handling and the K&N made the bike breathless. No matter how much needle and jet changes.

If you are into looks. Both of those mods are Ok. I was after speed and handling for darting around town. The ACE is quite happy to cruise at 60 mph.

If you are looking for a ACE resource. ADV is not the place.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=101.0

My other rebuild should have been in this forum and not airheads.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005865