Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #106
El_Duderino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Ahhhh...the question which plagues many of us!

After looking at what mates use for hiking and touring over many years, seeing the difficulties, mishaps and wins over different types of stoves, the clear winner for me is still the Trangia.

I have had the old-school 30 model with stainless steel lining for 20yrs and has never once failed on me, and provides the widest range of options for cooking anything. It's a brick weighing in at 1.5kg's, but am just about retire that one and get the smaller 27-1HA, which weighs in at only 720gm's.

I know a lot of people recommend the MSR Whisperlites and the sort due to their size, but have lost count seeing perfectly good meals get knocked over due to their instability. You need a flat and stable area to use them, otherwise prepare for headaches. Furthermore, the size and weight of the pots and total setup is no different to the 27-1HA. It's a kitchen and crockery in one package.

Hope this helps anyway. ;)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #107
joeldemeritt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
Ahhhh...the question which plagues many of us!

After looking at what mates use for hiking and touring over many years, seeing the difficulties, mishaps and wins over different types of stoves, the clear winner for me is still the Trangia.

I have had the old-school 30 model with stainless steel lining for 20yrs and has never once failed on me, and provides the widest range of options for cooking anything. It's a brick weighing in at 1.5kg's, but am just about retire that one and get the smaller 27-1HA, which weighs in at only 720gm's.

I know a lot of people recommend the MSR Whisperlites and the sort due to their size, but have lost count seeing perfectly good meals get knocked over due to their instability. You need a flat and stable area to use them, otherwise prepare for headaches. Furthermore, the size and weight of the pots and total setup is no different to the 27-1HA. It's a kitchen and crockery in one package.

Hope this helps anyway. ;)
+1 on trangia. hell I used a tuna can with holes punched in it for a good amount of time. The stove and alcohol fuel is just too cheap to not consider.
joeldemeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #108
cmohr
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 20
So many options.....

When backpacking, I've used beer-can alcohol stoves for years. Never liked the attachments to let them simmer, though. Especially with non-soupy food (tend to burn it). Then I discovered the wonders of Astro Foil insulation! Made a pot cozy out of it (taped together with aluminum flue tape) and including a disk to put over the lid. Now when I cook stuff calling for simmering (say for 10 minutes) I throw it in with the water, bring to a boil, then put the pot into the cozy and let it sit for 10 minutes - the insulation keeps it hot enough to rehydrate and I don't waste fuel simmering. Works on Lipton Noodle meals, which is nice since they're a lot cheaper than freeze-dried. Here's a link to where you can buy one, if you don't want to DIY:
http://www.antigravitygear.com
Mine are copies of the pot cozy in the lower right of the cooking accessories page.

Also, the Optimus Nova fans chimed in late on this thread - got one of these too and recommend it for a multi-fuel stove. But no matter what stove you use, you'll save fuel simmering in a pot cozy instead of over a flame.

Probably shouldn't need to say this, but DON'T HAVE THE COZY ON THE POT WHEN ON THE BURNER! (sorry for shouting).
cmohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:36 AM   #109
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Hey guys! You're in luck! My uncle actually reviews gear for a living, and he's tested quite a number of stoves lately. Check out a list here

http://www.gearinstitute.com/hiking/category/stoves

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote