Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #76
yann L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobart View Post
... The criminals are in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Oh, and Ottawa, too.
Crime rate in Canada is low. Probably that all these cities put together does not even come close to what you can see in the news about Detroit alone. Like it was said earlier, wildlife (at night) is the main safety concern while going through Canada (other road users as well of course).
yann L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #77
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by yann L View Post
Crime rate in Canada is low. Probably that all these cities put together does not even come close to what you can see in the news about Detroit alone. Like it was said earlier, wildlife (at night) is the main safety concern while going through Canada (other road users as well of course).
But I can take I gun to Detroit.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #78
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Twisted Throttle has a license plate stash box.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/stash...isted-throttle
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #79
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelB12 View Post
Just ride a KLR. No one would bother trying to rob a KLR rider.
Now thats funny right there...

Cheap solution:
Use wing-nuts on your license plate bracket for ease off/on. Take the plate off and duct tape a ziploc bag to the back of it with a spare card and some cash. More for protecting me from me than from potential robbers.
IBA #56441
48 states in 10 days ||BunBurner1500 ||Austin to the Arctic

Sanity is a relative term, and my relatives haven't accused me of having any lately.
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #80
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I hide cash in ATMs all around the world.
+1

I sweated this and overthought it for days before heading south the first time.. In the end: a few dollars in a throwaway wallet, outside pocket of my riding jacket. Cash for 3-5 days, one debit card with a high withdrawal allowance, international DL, and passport in zip loc bag in inside zipped breast pocket of jacket. Copies of international DL, passport, CC cards, and additional debit card buried in luggage. Copies of RXs (yes, I am a drug user) with drugs in separate heavy duty zip loc bag in luggage as well.

For me, this system worked okay. It's important that whatever you come up feels and seems natural to you or you will feel uncomfortable, not to mention you may misplace things you really need.

For example, on my long Alaska adventure, I put my wallet in a small fanny pack. It seemed portable, close to my body and secure. The only thing is, I'd never worn a fanny pack before. Sure enough, I took it off in a restaurant, got to talking to a couple of pretty ladies, and ended up leaving without it. 20 minutes later on the road I realized I'd left it, my cash, and CCs sitting in the that bag in a crowded cafe. I would have been well and truly screwed if it had walked off...

I raced back,and to my huge relief, it was still sitting on the table with cash and cards intact. I was lucky!

The overwhelming majority of people are awesome. Take reasonable precautions and then go enjoy yourself.

Cheers,
AP
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #81
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Majority of cash, credit cards and passport go in a ziploc behind one of my knee pads. Anywhere but your pockets is fine really.

Just be careful no one's looking if you have to get it out.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #82
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Majority of cash, credit cards and passport go in a ziploc behind one of my knee pads. Anywhere but your pockets is fine really.

I do the same sort of thing. Some cash goes in my wallet, enough for daily needs. The rest of the stockpile [okay, maybe "stockpile" is a generous term] goes in a waterproof bag behind my back armor.

I don't need a passport because no other country will allow me in.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #83
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:

Lots of great hiding places for things on an older V-Strom. I've got things hidden in several places. Sometimes I even remember them...like the extra $200 leftover from from a Canada trip last July. That I found in September.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #84
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 739
That's a really good question... I wish I knew where I stashed those few million bucks!

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #85
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 640
Someone probably already mentioned this but when going through Canada use your credit card whenever possible. You'll get the best exchange rate. I had a couple gas stations in BC only willing to give me $17 CD for a US $20.... I pulled the card out. That's the closest I came to getting robbed.

The chances of getting robbed on the way to Alaska is like buying a Power Ball lottery ticket and winning.

Keep your cash in your MC jacket which you'll have with you everywhere you go.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #86
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Ya the crimes against persons is very low in Canada. Someone will surely steal your stuff off your bike if you are foolish and leave valuables on it overnight. But having someone rob you is very very slim. Like they said about the same as winning the lotto. Stop worrying about it and enjoy your trip.

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #87
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:

What an awesome idea. My jacket has a number of pads, as do my pants!

Thank you!

Kiwi Mike
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #88
Stato
Adventurer

I've got a key ring that holds a couple of notes.

An ID holder that goes around your arm and can hold 2-3 cards.

A phone cover that holds a card.

Other than that i just keep everything in my pockets.
Stato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #89
joejinky
One of a Kind

Take three or four $20 bills and, using blue latex gloves, rub the money all over some poison ivy or poison oak. Have a friend hold your throw away wallet open and carefully place the cash inside. Be careful to make sure the cash is fully contained by the wallet and don't let the exterior of the wallet touch the ivy or the gloves.

When a crook robs you, tell him, "I only have $80.00 cash! Count it yourself! "

Tell the police to have doctors inform them of any poison ivy infections that crop up.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #90
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 848
I usually carry no more than $100 cash. I use credit cards and ATMs are everywhere to replenish cash when I need it. I use cash only where nothing else is accepted (cheap restaurant, vendors, laundromat, etc.).

But I also carry two wallets. One on my person (in my tank bag when on the bike) and another stashed in my clothes locked in the pannier. In my primary I carry $100 cash, a CC, operator's license, insurance card, and emergency contact info. In my spare I carry $100 cash, extra operator's license, ATM card, and a CC from a different account. I keep my passport stored except on the day I cross the border. It also helps to keep a sheet of paper with account numbers and phone numbers to call if lost or stolen. Yes, I left my wallet on the back of the bike when gearing up on the Ice Fields Parkway and learned the hard way once!
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote