Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #31
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Gary, and also Aidan: Thank you for your very kind comments about America and Americans. They actually brought a tear to my eye. It is a treat to share our country with visitors such as yourselves.

BTW, I've motorcycled in 46 of our 50 states, and traveled in the other 4 by car or air plane. I've never carried a gun on those trips, nor been in a situation where I've wished for one. Nothing against those who do, just never felt a pull to do so myself, and everywhere I've been has been safe. As you found out, America is not a dangerous country. Glad you were willing to give us a try.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #32
zagger
chopped & dirty

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Gary, and also Aidan: Thank you for your very kind comments about America and Americans. They actually brought a tear to my eye. It is a treat to share our country with visitors such as yourselves.

BTW, I've motorcycled in 46 of our 50 states, and traveled in the other 4 by car or air plane. I've never carried a gun on those trips, nor been in a situation where I've wished for one. Nothing against those who do, just never felt a pull to do so myself, and everywhere I've been has been safe. As you found out, America is not a dangerous country. Glad you were willing to give us a try.
Although I am 100% on the side of pro-gun advocates, I have never had a single instance in my 60 years living and traveling in the US where I felt so threatened that I would have actually shot someone. I view the gun debate as a "freedom" debate. Cracking down on the entire US population simply because some adults cannot handle the freedoms they are allowed is insanity. Some people drive like maniacs, so should cars be banned? Banning cars is never discussed because virtually everyone has access to one, has driven one, and would regard such a mandate as insanity. It only "makes sense" when the group on the ban list is relatively small and not "mainstream". Outsiders get entirely the wrong impression concerning US violence based on our TV shows and our very public discussions about guns. The reality is that nearly all violence in the cities is caused by, and happens to, groups of people who do the same thing day-after-day. The only people who are affected by new gun laws are the ones who are not the problem!
zag
zagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
kreattur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary France View Post
kreattur, how did you get on planning your own trip?

Gary
Hey ! Thanks for asking.
Well I've been hanging on on ADvrider for a while and seen so many amazing things, that I have difficulties to make a decision !
So, nothing really new from France. I have a bit less than 4 months for my trip, and my first idea is still to do the USA and a bit of Canada.
But some folks make my look towards Asia, even though it looks harder for a newbie, it looks also very nice... !

I should start to hurry soon... ! (leaving beginning of march)
kreattur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #34
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

Oddometer: 17
Michael J You are correct, I missed who areas of the US. Darn it, I will just have to go back and ride those! You are so right about the stereotypes, as from my experience, they are the exception, not the rule.
Gary France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #35
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Gary,
Thanks for the photos and for your comments on the people and places in the US. Glad you had a great experience.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 378
Gary,

What a great intro, now I have to go buy your book! So glad things went well and you enjoyed your trip. Though I know your new found love for the Southwest, try the appalachians next time and see what you think. Maybe a detour to Western NC/ Eastern TN is order to compare when you come to Daytona? Just a thought! Great pics and stay safe!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #37
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post

Glad that you enjoyed your ride. One needs to spend a significant amount of time in another culture to be able to get below the surface gloss/stereotypes and appreciate it.
I totally agree Michael, it is very easy to have a distorted view of somewhere and its people until you have spent significant time there. My view of America definately changed as a result of experiencing it for myself over 4 months.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #38
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Gary,
I'm not sure how I missed the beginning of your adventure here in the US. You for sure covered some of the best of the US for sure. As for being able to cover everything to be marveled at, just is not going to happen......
achesley, the USA is so large and diverse, I think it is almost impossible for anyone to see everything they might want to. From mountains to deserts, from busy cities to deserted plains, from the Pacific to the Atlantic, from snow to sunshine, the USA has it all. What a country to travel in!

I was very lucky to be able to see so much crammed into 4 months, but I too only scratched the surface.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #39
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post

Boatpuller, it was a joy to experience how welcoming your fellow Americans were during my trip. Almost everywhere I went people wanted to chat, were very kind and went out of their way to help. I cannot thank them enough. People asked me if I wanted to carry a gun on my trip and my answer was always no. You are right, America is not a dangerous country.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #40
Gary France OP
Rider and Writer

doc4216 - I really must come back to America one day and ride the states I missed on my first tour. I will try to take your advice!