Old 03-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
Bikerboy108 OP
Pat from Jersey

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
YES , YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING.
Apples and oranges...

The GS, equipped as you describe would cost $17,510 not $19,005.
Your error is that you choose to begin with the standard package, not the base model.
Standard package gives you Dynamic ESA Suspension, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Hand Protection and Saddle Bag Mounts.
You didn't specify that you desired ESA and did not add it to the GSA option list.
Then you added the comfort package which gives, among other things, Heated Grips and Hand Protectors again.
Then you add Cruise Control again, as a separate option.

I think your intention was to price the standard GS @ $16,100 + Comfort Package @ $560.00 + Cruise @ 350.00 + Wire Wheels @ 500.00 = $17,510.

At $17,510 (GS) and $19,050 (GSA) you have your comparison.
Note, neither bike has Saddle Bag Mounts at these prices/option combinations.

I'm considering doing an a la carte purchase like you are. In my case the GS is !$18,200 and the GSA 20,450.
Those prices include ESA on both, low suspension and saddle bag mounts on the GS and no wire wheels on the GS.

For me, the lofty height of the GSA is probably going to tilt the balance (get it?) to the standard, or even a lowered GS.

Too each his own
Good luck with your decision.

d'milan
OK I looked at price list and it was confusing so if you are right I stand corrected.. here is what I was looking at
http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2014_bm...nformation.htm

http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2014_bm...nture_info.htm

Can you even order a bike without the standard package?? I'll have to see
Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestaino View Post
The weight of the bike (as stated in the brochure) is based on the tank being 90% full... With that said the diff. in weight is almost entirely made up with the weight of the extra gas and crash bars.
p
6.33kg = weight of 9L gas (90% of the additional 10L tank)
~6.8kg = weight of upper and lower bars (anyone know the precise weights -I recall the lowers to be ~3kg?)

260kg = GSAW
238kg = GSW

Granted ~10kg is a small difference to pay for the extra sized tank, but "almost entirely" doesnt seem to hold up.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #18
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,025
I just traded up yesterday to a non-Adventure GSW. I got everything I wanted except for the spokes (I'm on the lookout for a pair). I came from an oil cooled GSA ('07). I'll agree that with the price points being what they are, the GSA is attractive. On the other hand, I've been riding with several folks over the past couple years who mostly ride oil-cooled non Adventure GS's. We do some fire roads but for the most part nothing you couldn't drive a high clearance 2wd truck over. The Adventure did NOTHING except go farther on a tank of gas. In most cases the extra weight was a hindrance. Of course it didn't help either that I had the non-enduro transmission which was a giant PITA off the pavement. My understanding is that the WC GSA has the same gearing but a heavier flywheel than the standard GS. I guess that could make up the difference.

I will say this though, my new GS just RIPs. I'll venture to say it's as fast as my modded FZ1. I've heard that some of that is due to the mag wheels being significantly lighter than the spokes...some $hit about rotating mass and all...
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrdirektor View Post
When I saw the new GSA, I was overall pleased. Once they bring out a color combination I actually like, and a mark II will get to the market, I will surely consider to make the switch to the ADV.

Absolutely!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Who cares. Get what you like. The GSA is the top of the food chain, a real mans' bike for real men. Do I have a GSA? Yes. Do I have a small penis? Yes, but so does the most interesting man in the world, and I heard he just bought a new GSAW

For mostly pavement touring, it's much better than the standard GS. that fat gas tank and tall windscreen allow you to light your cigar at highway speeds and stay almost completely dry during a downpour. I like not having to stop every hour to get gas when I'm touring and was always content with the OEM crashbars. I did add the Advdesigns cylinder head crash bars, but the new GSAW has addressed that issue and have the adequate cylinder protection now. If you don't buy the GSAW, you'll always wonder what life would've been like with one.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #21
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestaino View Post
OK I looked at price list and it was confusing so if you are right I stand corrected.. here is what I was looking at
http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2014_bm...nformation.htm

http://www.bmwmotorcycle.com/2014_bm...nture_info.htm

Can you even order a bike without the standard package?? I'll have to see

Yes, you can order a bike without the standard package.

I see though, it's bit confusing, there doesn't appear to be a "standard package option" for the GSA as there is for the GSW

d'milan
DMilan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #22
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 536
GSA all the way! If the weight of the fuel is an issue.....fill it half way.
I top the tank any time I get gas and deal with it.
Out in the sticks, low on gas
NO ONE asks the GS, KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha rider "can you spare
some gas"?

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 02:02 PM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #23
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
But What About?

If I missed this, my bad, but what about the performance differences? Seems I've been told gearing different, heavier flywheel (for slow riding), and the GS really is a sport bike in disguise. It is faster than my K16GT, of course much lighter, and handles like a dream. I've been thru 4 Adventures and loved them all, but really are heavier and bulkier. But the bottom line is buy what you like best, to hell with price, as the comparison betwen the two bikes too different to evaluate by dollars alone?
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
LaSelvaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
My lowered 2014 GSW is so easy to get on and off of as well as the comfort factor of the ride is fantastic. I had a 2006 R1200GS before and now no more nose bleeds from the altitude of the bike. Handles very well on or off road. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #25
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
If I missed this, my bad, but what about the performance differences? Seems I've been told gearing different, heavier flywheel (for slow riding), and the GS really is a sport bike in disguise. It is faster than my K16GT, of course much lighter, and handles like a dream. I've been thru 4 Adventures and loved them all, but really are heavier and bulkier. But the bottom line is buy what you like best, to hell with price, as the comparison betwen the two bikes too different to evaluate by dollars alone?
At this end of the market, when it becomes a cost play the buyer is missing the point.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I seriously doubt that
Old 03-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #27
Dusty1013
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
It's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #28
LaSelvaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Amen
Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #29
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,688
All anyone is talking about is price, but ride both, and you'll find that they are completely different to ride. The GS is a great hooligan bike, is light, and fun on the mountain roads. The GSA is more of a pack horse, still fast, but not as fun and chuck able on the back roads, and MUCH heavier.

People buy the GSA, because they think it is the best GS, and like to be able to tell their mates down the pub it's the best and most expensive. They are different bikes, and fill different roles.

Get whichever bike suits the sort of riding you do, don't get the GSA because it seems like better value by the time you add bars, lights etc, as you'll regret it if you don't need the extra size, or weight.
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #30
BigJimbeaux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
...and like to be able to tell their mates down the pub it's the best and most expensive.
cheap shot!