Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #76
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,433
I'm here! But the wifi at the hotel is terrible... and it doesn't help that 200+ people seem to want to access it 24 hours a day!

I have some great photos already - including a 6x6 truck (yes they have a truck category this year!) on its side just 400 metres from the start! - oh the shame!

Will hopefully get a full race report up soon - but at the moment I don't have the bandwidth for photo bucket...

I have managed to get my rider preview reports onto the jennydakar Facebook page at least...

More soon!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #77
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Results are available on official web page
Åmme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #78
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,020
Leg 2

Here comes the Picture upload ....

Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #79
640 Armageddon
-oo-

and here comes the pain

The rocky mountain looks like a hell of a ride for the large bikes...
Gotta go, catch everybody later guys
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #80
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Awesome pics ! Keep them coming!

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #81
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Looks quite hard!!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #82
motorollie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Day 2 results via https://twitter.com/hannievandelaar

Only one non-Dutch in top ten. Total domination! :)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #83
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 645
I'm guessing the Smits brothers (?) are riding together in a cooperative fashion as this picture and their times from the day would indicate?

wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #84
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Father and son actually.. Father was very quick on the old MX and still is with a roadbook ☺

Started 1st and 2nd, senior won yesterday, junior today. Starting side by side, I guess we won't see big gaps for the moment.

tehdutchie screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 03:05 PM
tehdutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #85
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Father and son actually.. Father was very quick on the old MX and still is with a roadbook ☺

Started 1st and 2nd, senior won yesterday, junior today. Starting side by side, I guess we won't see big gaps for the moment.
Awesome. One day soon my daughter and I will be doing this. My dream anyway, and we would have a new rally babe to follow....with her father to ride over the chancers!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #86
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Awesome. One day soon my daughter and I will be doing this. My dream anyway, and we would have a new rally babe to follow....with her father to ride over the chancers!
There is a thread somewhere in the racing section ''father and daughter go racing''
I think you should study that Neil

Fromt Tuareg Off. Website:

Quote:
Day 2: Douz – Gafsa
Posted on March 10, 2014
The number of drivers in the easier amateur group has grown during the second rally day. Some drivers used the possibility to change from the pro class to the amateur class without penalty.

The stage of today takes the drivers from Douz to Gafsa. Two mountain ranges have to be crossed. For many competitors, new tracks, with impressing landscapes. Starting with a curvy sanded pist the rally route continues with rocky parts, crossing a salt lake and difficult enduro terrain. The Scuba Pass posed a rocky challenge for Moto Pro Driver and a fast special right up to the finish line.

Rob and Mark Smits are leading Moto Pro class just as they were yesterday while Michael Miggitsch is first in Amateur Class. Equally as yesterday Koepp / Klein are stage winner in the Car Pro group. Kleer / Kleer are today’s winner in Car Amateurs. The fastest Truck was team Karches / Pauker and Zalar Joze has today’s best result for Quads.

As a result family Smits is leading the Moto Pro Classement. Father Mark Smits is in front. Ludwig Kuhn is leading in Moto Amateurs after he changed classes from Pro to Amateurs. Koepp / Klein took over first position in Car Pro group and Kleer / Kleer in Car Amateurs. Fastest Truck team so far is Reichenhauser / Pagger / Baier. And in Quad class Zalar Joze is leading by one minute.
Only car photos in the official site for Day two...
Just a couple of them >>

Not Good

Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #87
640 Armageddon
-oo-

From FB

Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #88
640 Armageddon
-oo-

And I am copying Jenny's reports from Facebook page in case somebody does not have access to them and because Jenny does not have the bandwidth to do it. I hope it's ok

And here is the link to Jenny's Dakar FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/JennyDakar?fref=ts

Tuareg Rally Report - Day 2 (Sunday 9th March 2014) - #47 Tony Landh

Profi Moto class: 310 kms - 95% hard piste, 5% sand piste.

“I felt it was a good day...”

Tony was looking forward to this second day which featured a long navigation stage combined with two technical sections that particularly suit his riding style, and lightweight rally bike.

Arriving at the next bivouac in Gafsa well before 2pm, Tony was one of the first bikes home in the Moto Profi class at the end of stage 2.

“It felt like a good day - a very good day” he smiles “It started out super-fast, full-throttle and even a little scary at times - very exciting!”

“It was really wonderful riding today - the nature, the scenery, then technical through [the] Scuba pass - that was not too bad... I recognised elements from last year’s route” he adds.

“But at the same time, you couldn’t relax” he continues “For example, they had put a secret checkpoint at the bottom of the pass, that I think the guys ahead of me missed - I only just realised in time” he says, thinking it was simply one of the safety cars that are stationed along each special stage.

“That was then followed by a long navigation stage” he says “Very difficult - there were not a lot of [GPS] waypoints so you really had to concentrate on the road book instructions. I think lots of people got lost here, including me!”

“With such a tricky navigation stage, it is difficult to know whether I made up any positions or actually lost time” he admits “And I did have some trouble with my navigation tower again - after another little crash” he smiles.

In the true spirit of rallying, during the last sector, Tony even stopped to help a fellow competitor who was having trouble: “I think he was the lead rider in the amateur class, and I couldn’t leave someone stranded... it only cost me two or three minutes anyway, so it is unlikely to affect my overall result” he smiles.

ends.

Stage result: day 2/7: 15th (3h26m)

Overall position: day 2/7: 14th

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 10:16 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #89
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,707
The dutch contingent seem to be taking it all in their stride...?

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #90
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Tuareg Rally Report - Day 2 (Sunday 9th March 2014) - #318 Gabriel Bolton

Profi Moto class: 310 kms - 95% hard piste, 5% sand piste.

“There is a temptation to try and compete...”

Riding together as a team for the second day, Paul & Gabriel keep to their strategy of riding a steady rally in an effort to finish with no penalty points - despite the temptation to try and increase their speed, encouraged by their unexpected result the day before.

Catching up with them both that evening as they prepared their road-books for the following day, they were equally enthusiastic about what lay ahead.

“The route today was fantastic - very different to yesterday, and the real feeling of adventure - of traveling across country from one place to another” Paul begins. “The terrain was stunning - we climbed into the mountains, then descended into valleys, crossed wide open plains - it was really vary varied.”

Paul also revealed they were becoming increasingly confident with the road-book style navigation: “It was a great feeling to be following the road-book for hour after hour, and finding that actually every instruction was exactly where you were expecting it! - it was very reassuring [we were doing things right]” he adds.

“There was one particular section that was pretty confusing” he admits “But it was a relief to see all these tyre tracks on the ground in different directions, that we weren’t the only ones to get lost!” he says with a grin.

Gabriel shared his delight at the variety of the terrain, and at the same time, their relief that the going wasn’t as overly challenging as they had been expecting: “I think we were pleasantly surprised - there were no real nasty surprises on the route” he begins “Although that might have been because we weren’t really going fast enough to get into trouble!” he adds with a smile.

Paul agreed: “It was really nice to not be ploughing through dune after dune today - the faster rocky tracks and the dry lakes were much more enjoyable. It was also far kinder on the bikes too!”

Gabriel admits that after such an encouraging first day, he feels a temptation to perhaps go a little faster where possible and try and improve their overall standings: “I think it’s very easy to get wrapped in the competitive side of things” he says “Although it’s still very early days, I think no matter where you are in the rankings, you are always looking ahead and thinking how nice it would be to move up a few positions.”

“The highlight of the day for me was when we’d been following a group of riders who had initially overtaken us, only to see them take a wrong turn, while we continued at our pace and knowing exactly where we were [supposed to be], and took the correct turning” says Gabriel, illustrating perfectly why their considered approach is already paying dividends with another penalty-free day.

ends.

Stage result: day 2/7: 33rd (4h04m)

Overall position: day 2/7: 30th