User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 AM   #91
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,022
Tuareg Rally Report - Day 2 (Sunday 9th March 2014) - #317 Paul Castle

Profi Moto class: 310 kms - 95% hard piste, 5% sand piste.

“A real feeling of adventure...”

Riding together as a team for the second day, Paul & Gabriel keep to their strategy of riding a steady rally in an effort to finish with no penalty points - despite the temptation to try and increase their speed, encouraged by their unexpected result the day before.

Catching up with them both that evening as they prepared their road-books for the following day, they were equally enthusiastic about what lay ahead.

“The route today was fantastic - very different to yesterday, and the real feeling of adventure - of traveling across country from one place to another” Paul begins. “The terrain was stunning - we climbed into the mountains, then descended into valleys, crossed wide open plains - it was really vary varied.”

Paul also revealed they were becoming increasingly confident with the road-book style navigation: “It was a great feeling to be following the road-book for hour after hour, and finding that actually every instruction was exactly where you were expecting it! - it was very reassuring [we were doing things right]” he adds.

“There was one particular section that was pretty confusing” he admits “But it was a relief to see all these tyre tracks on the ground in different directions, that we weren’t the only ones to get lost!” he says with a grin.

Gabriel shared his delight at the variety of the terrain, and at the same time, their relief that the going wasn’t as overly challenging as they had been expecting: “I think we were pleasantly surprised - there were no real nasty surprises on the route” he begins “Although that might have been because we weren’t really going fast enough to get into trouble!” he adds with a smile.

Paul agreed: “It was really nice to not be ploughing through dune after dune today - the faster rocky tracks and the dry lakes were much more enjoyable. It was also far kinder on the bikes too!”

Gabriel admits that after such an encouraging first day, he feels a temptation to perhaps go a little faster where possible and try and improve their overall standings: “I think it’s very easy to get wrapped up in the competitive side of things” he says “Although it’s still very early days, I think no matter where you are in the rankings, you are always looking ahead and thinking how nice it would be to move up a few positions.”

“The highlight of the day for me was when we’d been following a group of riders who had initially overtaken us, only to see them take a wrong turn, while we continued at our pace and knowing exactly where we were [supposed to be], and took the correct turning” says Gabriel, illustrating perfectly why their considered approach is already paying dividends with another penalty-free day.

ends.

Stage result: day 2/7: 37th (4h06m)

Overall position: day 2/7: 31st

Old 03-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #92
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Is this 'elephant ears' faring a matter of design or it has some purpose?

How come these kits stick out so much more then on 'proper' rally kits?
Is it the mounting or maybe the nakedness that makes it appear so?

Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 AM   #93
motorollie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Live tracking:

http://www.owaka.fr/live/view/745

Not obligatory for all riders I guess, only a few riders can be tracked. Among them the fastest riders (father and son Smits)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #94
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Is this 'elephant ears' faring a matter of design or it has some purpose?
How come these kits stick out so much more then on 'proper' rally kits?
Is it the mounting or maybe the nakedness that makes it appear so?
The ''elephant'' fairing I think is for both design and function. It is wide, where it needs to be to protect the navigation instruments and deflect the air from the rider and it is thin down below to create this unique effect. For sure you can distinguish it from the others

The kit in the bike that you chose to see, indeed it is far out. But the reason is that you do not have to look so far down when navigating. It has some +ves and -ves. The closer you have it on the handlebars the less pendulum effect, but the more down you have to look. If you carefully see the posture of this particular rider you can see that he has to lower his eyesight, let's say 45 degrees to see the roadbook. If it was mounted in the handlebars he would have to look 90 degrees down. Then again, the more these things stick out the more dangerous it is to hit you during riding in case sth goes out of balance with the fornt end...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #95
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
....The kit in the bike that you chose to see, indeed it is far out. But the reason is that you do not have to look so far down when navigating. It has some +ves and -ves. The closer you have it on the handlebars the less pendulum effect, but the more down you have to look. If you carefully see the posture of this particular rider you can see that he has to lower his eyesight, let's say 45 degrees to see the roadbook. If it was mounted in the handlebars he would have to look 90 degrees down. Then again, the more these things stick out the more dangerous it is to hit you during riding in case sth goes out of balance with the fornt end...
First of all,
thanks Big D for forwarding Jenny's posts. Facebook is blocked in our Companies Network so no chance of keeping up without your support

The Nav Tover on this particular bike is fixed to the frame, that doesn't mean your comment on the pendulum effect is less valid, just not for this particular bike

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 AM   #96
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe View Post
First of all,
The Nav Tover on this particular bike is fixed to the frame, that doesn't mean your comment on the pendulum effect is less valid, just not for this particular bike
Stefan
That is true Stefan, I had in mind a moving setup when I was writing the post...

(EDIT: Father and son below)

Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #97
Happe
Offroad Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Any idea what pants he is wearing?

Stefan
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #98
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happe View Post
Any idea what pants he is wearing?

Stefan
From a little research they appear to be JOPA pants.

Something similar here.
http://www.jopa.nl/products/jopa-mx/..._122_w_557__GB
Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #99
Happe
Offroad Nut

Spot on

Stefan
Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #100
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,868
Quote:
The ''elephant'' fairing I think is for both design and function. It is wide, where it needs to be to protect the navigation instruments and deflect the air from the rider and it is thin down below to create this unique effect. For sure you can distinguish it from the others
yep, FUGLY

(Thanks Dimitri for reporting the stuff on facebook.)

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #101
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
yep, FUGLY

It's FUGLY...? Yeah it is... that is until one of the factory teams puts them to use... then all of a sudden it's a "must have".

I mean, how many clear navigation fairings did you see two years ago...? Then HRC brings them (back) into vogue (from 15 or more years ago), and suddenly hey presto, like a micracle, now there's more tranparent bikini's about the place than Mardis Gras week in Rio...!!!

Elephant fairing get's the "thumbs up" from me... them Smit boy's can ride/navigate as well.

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 08:17 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #102
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,971
Trailer

Scrutineering

Day One

Day Two

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #103
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's FUGLY...? Yeah it is... that is until one of the factory teams puts them to use... then all of a sudden it's a "must have".

I mean, how many clear navigation fairings did you see two years ago...? Then HRC brings them (back) into vogue (from 15 or more years ago), and suddenly hey presto, like a micracle, now there's more tranparent bikini's about the place than Mardis Gras week in Rio...!!!

Elephant fairing get's the "thumbs up" from me... them Smit boy's can ride/navigate as well.
That is true Troy,

But a factory bike would have it elephant shaped and clear
Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #104
640 Armageddon
-oo-

This is the problem I was talking with the towers.

Last video @3.58
@4.12 he does an even more impressive move... Leg two should have been very tiring...
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #105
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,741
Quote:
This is the problem I was talking with the towers.

Last video @3.58
@4.12 he does an even more impressive move... Leg two should have been very tiring...
All respect to the rider in question... and I understand (and agree) with the mechanics and principle of the handlebar mounted "pendulum" effect you describe Dimi...

But I think that rider induced fatigue and (lack of) concentration (ie. eyes focussed only three feet ahead on the piste) had more to do with the "surprise" incident depicted in the video (and the loop out restart manouver) than any inherrent design fault with the nav tower set up.

They are some wild goat tracks that Rainer and the Tuareg ORGA team have set out for this year!

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote