ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #4336
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptiMind View Post
I don't really want a large dirt bike, I want an adventure bike, and to me that's 70/30. Mostly paved highways and backroads, with dirt roads/fire roads, and very few, if any, goat trails. Think the Wee is a good fit for me, though I do think I will get a Scotts damper..

Sounds like the right tool for the job....Rode a Strom for a 2 up Baja trip, and was able to get through the sand and some off road adequately.

70/30 good choice.

When your ready to let it rip.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-6XbJ4ZBk0

Bgunn screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 08:58 PM
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #4337
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonRock View Post
Sure enough but it wasn't a philosophical point I was trying to make. Merely expressing that the Stroms are not designed to handle the conditions the OP described. Thus, the trouble he ran into can be easily identified. He can most certainly still have fun on the little Sazook but it will never handle like a real DS, steering damper or not.
In all honesty, wasn't planning on that. My father has a lot of equipment to maintain his road including a bulldozer, he just hasn't done anything to it yet. A damper won't allow me to ride it like a dirt bike, but it will allow me to get down some sketchy trails at low speeds. Which is how I take any terrain like that. Even on dirt bikes, I don't really like high speed stuff. I may be a youngin' but my bones hurt every time it rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Sounds like the right tool for the job....Rode a Strom for a 2 up Baja trip, and was able to get through the sand and some off road adequately.

70/30 good choice.

When your ready to let it rip.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-6XbJ4ZBk0
Nope... I don't know if it's the wide angle of the Go-pro, or if they're really going that fast, but even when I used to ride a KLX I don't think I'd do speeds like that. Guess my PTSD does more than I thought.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #4338
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Sure enough but it wasn't a philosophical point I was trying to make. Merely expressing that the Stroms are not designed to handle the conditions the OP described. Thus, the trouble he ran into can be easily identified. He can most certainly still have fun on the little Sazook but it will never handle like a real DS, steering damper or not.
Unfortunately neither will a F800GS be a pure dual sport bike, and for the money the Vstrom is a much better buy when you get right down to it. Even after you take the full specifications from both adventure models adventure ABS ect, top speed, MPG, weight handling, reliability/temperaments/parts availability. The Vstrom is a very solid choice.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #4339
BronsonRock
Banned

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon View Post
Unfortunately neither will a F800GS be a pure dual sport bike, and for the money the Vstrom is a much better buy when you get right down to it. Even after you take the full specifications from both adventure models adventure ABS ect, top speed, MPG, weight handling, reliability/temperaments/parts availability. The Vstrom is a very solid choice.
The Vstrom's are a compromise. No offense to anyone that owns one but I have enough miles on both the 650 and 1000 to know they really are a blunt instrument in most situations. If an 800gs is not a pure DS what is?

BronsonRock screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 06:21 AM
BronsonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #4340
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
That's the cool thing about "Dual-Sport" motorcycles. Everyone has a different definition and there's a bike for most of 'em.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #4341
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
A damper won't allow me to ride it like a dirt bike, but it will allow me to get down some sketchy trails at low speeds.
A steering damper at low speeds is the last thing you would want - unless it's dialed way down

Quote:
The Vstrom's are a compromise. No offense to anyone that owns one but I have enough miles on both the 650 and 1000 to know they really are a blunt instrument in most situations. If an 800gs is not a pure DS what is?
while I agree to some point, the Vstrom for a 70/30 bike is very capable. And a very low maintenance bike to boot. I love ripping up the twists on my sons SV 650 which is almost the same bike. One just needs to understand the limitations of what you are riding. Unless you like repair bills Dang, I've ridden my Ducati street bike down some nasty dirt roads - I did shed a tear or two while doing it

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #4342
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
how much was that big heli?
$179
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #4343
Ride Now
Graybeard

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
That's the cool thing about "Dual-Sport" motorcycles. Everyone has a different definition and there's a bike for most of 'em.
Then we can get into that whole "Adventure Bike" vs. "Dual Sport" thing too. I think the larger, more street biased bikes are called "Adventure Bikes" 'cause the farther you take 'em out into the nasty, gnarly off road stuff, the bigger the "adventure" becomes.
Ride Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #4344
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,824
Quote:
If an 800gs is not a pure DS what is?
They are all dirt bikes. Some just handle better then others.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #4345
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Moto-Trek if you are planning to meet Fri. post time and place. I might show up Fri. too.
Friday Meet-up

Inland Nortwest Motorcycle show
SPOKANE COUNTY FAIR & EXPO CENTER
404 N HAVANA - SPOKANE, WA

3:30PM (or there abouts)

I'm planning on a walkthrough before the crowds. Then it's off to Perry Street Brewing, 1025 S. Perry #2, Spokane, Washington. Should be there by 5:30 PM (or when Ms MT calls and says she's waiting ) for malt beverages and Perry Street Pizza I sure hope they open as planned

Moto-Treks
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #4346
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Now View Post
Then we can get into that whole "Adventure Bike" vs. "Dual Sport" thing too. I think the larger, more street biased bikes are called "Adventure Bikes" 'cause the farther you take 'em out into the nasty, gnarly off road stuff, the bigger the "adventure" becomes.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #4347
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
Didn't mean to create a debate. If I could afford a Beemer, I'd own one in a heartbeat.

@moto-treks The initial thought behind the damper was to have it tuned just enough for those low speeds, but I'm now realizing I can probably just get away with a fork brace instead.

To add to the discussion, I find things like the DRs and the KLRs dual sports, where as the F800GS is more in the adventure category for me. It has a lot more comfort for a little less offroad ability. No doubt there are people who can do just as much on a 800gs as I can do on a KLR, but I'm more willing to be brave(stupid) on the bike that cost me $2,000 than the one that cost over $10,000. Even bikes like the KLR are still quite tall and heavy. But I'm only 5'9" on a good day, so one of you crazy tall people that adventure riding seems to draw obviously has a different opinion than I do.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #4348
BronsonRock
Banned

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Didn't mean to create a debate. If I could afford a Beemer, I'd own one in a heartbeat.

@moto-treks The initial thought behind the damper was to have it tuned just enough for those low speeds, but I'm now realizing I can probably just get away with a fork brace instead.

To add to the discussion, I find things like the DRs and the KLRs dual sports, where as the F800GS is more in the adventure category for me. It has a lot more comfort for a little less offroad ability. No doubt there are people who can do just as much on a 800gs as I can do on a KLR, but I'm more willing to be brave(stupid) on the bike that cost me $2,000 than the one that cost over $10,000. Even bikes like the KLR are still quite tall and heavy. But I'm only 5'9" on a good day, so one of you crazy tall people that adventure riding seems to draw obviously has a different opinion than I do.
No real debate friend. Just friendly discussion and sharing of ideas. I will echo what someone else already said though... For a youngin you seem to have a healthy, well balanced view on life. Cheers!
BronsonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #4349
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Friday Meet-up

Inland Nortwest Motorcycle show
SPOKANE COUNTY FAIR & EXPO CENTER
404 N HAVANA - SPOKANE, WA

3:30PM (or there abouts)

I'm planning on a walkthrough before the crowds. Then it's off to Perry Street Brewing, 1025 S. Perry #2, Spokane, Washington. Should be there by 5:30 PM (or when Ms MT calls and says she's waiting ) for malt beverages and Perry Street Pizza I sure hope they open as planned

If I don't show up at the show I'll probably show up to have pizza with you and Wendy. I'll probably show up at the show too and again Sat. never too much of a good thing.

Now about that silly Dual Sport vs Adventure Bike thing. I don't know why there's a question. A Dual Sport is a bike that is both dirt and pavement capable and and Adventure bike is ANY bike YOU have an adventure on. It's your adventure and no one else's you, define it for yourself and not for anyone else.

My dual sport bike is my F650GS it's dirt and pavement capable.
My Adventure bike is my DR200SE it provides an ADVENTURE when ever I take it out.

Now boys, let me put it in a way you can understand - - - - It's not the size of the tool that matters it's how you use it.

Bronson Rock, let us know how those F800 rims hold up for you out on rough terrain - from what I understand they have provided many F800 riders with an adventure.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #4350
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
If I don't show up at the show I'll probably show up to have pizza with you and Wendy. I'll probably show up at the show too and again Sat. never too much of a good thing.
I'll ping you when I'm leaving the house - should be around 3. If the weather holds like today maybe I'll dust of the GS1150 - I think that's a Dual Sport - no wait, Wendy would say it doesn't work in the dirt or maybe it was something about not knowing how to use my tool I still think it was the earthquake

Moto-Treks