ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #7861
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 564
Yea another FE450 rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGAlex View Post
So I joined this forum in 2007, lurked until 2011, and my last post not including one I just did on this thread, was 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM. I figured I should first reply with hopefully-helpful info in reply to an inmate request before I go on blabbing about myself, which I shall now do:

When I joined, I was a lowly NETRA B-mediocre enduro rider living in upstate NY, starting to think about dual sporting and ADVing. A lot has happened since then, and by grace of chaos, I am now a Boise resident as of last July. And finally an ADV bike owner with the recent acquisition of an F800GSA, this only adds to my ride choices and does not displace my love of offroad and single track on my 250XC or Berg FE450.

I came to ID in great part for motorcycling, my wife and I having fallen in love with the state during a 1996 visit, and it only took 17 years to fulfill a dream, but here we are. I am very excited for the MC people I will meet and the rides I will take of all types as long as the Universe allows me breath and balance.

So that's it for now, just wanted to say hello. And I look forward to bumping in to as many of my fellow Idahoans ADVers as time goes by. This is going to be a good year, I am sure of it.

Be well,
I use my FE450 as a DS bike.....but truck it close to the trail head. Just got a seat concepts cover put on, but have not had a chance to ride it yet. Lots of great places to explore around here. Spring seems to be here and it's time to start riding.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #7862
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
So I joined this forum in 2007, lurked until 2011, and my last post not including one I just did on this thread, was 11-12-2012, 07:35 PM. I figured I should first reply with hopefully-helpful info in reply to an inmate request before I go on blabbing about myself, which I shall now do:

When I joined, I was a lowly NETRA B-mediocre enduro rider living in upstate NY, starting to think about dual sporting and ADVing. A lot has happened since then, and by grace of chaos, I am now a Boise resident as of last July. And finally an ADV bike owner with the recent acquisition of an F800GSA, this only adds to my ride choices and does not displace my love of offroad and single track on my 250XC or Berg FE450.

I came to ID in great part for motorcycling, my wife and I having fallen in love with the state during a 1996 visit, and it only took 17 years to fulfill a dream, but here we are. I am very excited for the MC people I will meet and the rides I will take of all types as long as the Universe allows me breath and balance.

So that's it for now, just wanted to say hello. And I look forward to bumping in to as many of my fellow Idahoans ADVers as time goes by. This is going to be a good year, I am sure of it.

Be well,
Check out the IAMC Challenge... here;

http://www.motoidaho.com/node/2205

it should be right up your alley this year with a mix of easy to moderate difficulty rides... some of the sites will fit your 800, other sites you'll want one of your smaller bikes... have fun!!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #7863
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Time to Ride!

I'll reply to three replies here (thanks guys):
Silverspurs-- That's really interesting what you mention about the IAMC Challenge having a level of difficulty to some destinations that would benefit from using an FE450. Oh that is so tempting now. If only I were retired...
While I cannot do the whole thing, it would be a good excuse to join up with some new-to-me riders to try individual Challenge destinations together?

SCExpat-- you are going to absolutely love your SeatConcepts treatment. I have one each on my Berg and 250XC (horrors! on an enduro bike? Yup, it works, no movement impediment, just a less-sore posterior).

Daxm-- "Welcome! Now you get to wait for the ice to melt and the ground to dry with the rest of us! :-)"
Thank you! Well, the precip has really been something special lately (a little lightning and hail in East end this PM to boot), but a great weekend is forecast-- sunny, 60s.
Perfect for the DEZ: TVTMA is hosting an open-invite ride (called the Chili Ride) this weekend near Murphy ID in the Owyhee Front Range BLM OHV area, where the snow is long-gone and the sand will be tacky and rail-able!
See https://www.facebook.com/events/1414...ivity&source=1
or http://tvtma.org
No cost, no membership required, but they hope to generate members through the event by giving a chance for folks to get to know the rabble at a real-time good-time.

Cheers,
A.
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #7864
daxm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Thank you! Well, the precip has really been something special lately (a little lightning and hail in East end this PM to boot), but a great weekend is forecast-- sunny, 60s.
Perfect for the DEZ: TVTMA is hosting an open-invite ride (called the Chili Ride) this weekend near Murphy ID in the Owyhee Front Range BLM OHV area, where the snow is long-gone and the sand will be tacky and rail-able!
See https://www.facebook.com/events/1414...ivity&source=1
or http://tvtma.org
No cost, no membership required, but they hope to generate members through the event by giving a chance for folks to get to know the rabble at a real-time good-time.

Cheers,
A.
Yeah. That hail storm went right over my house. Nearly completely carpeted my yard with hail.

That ride this weekend looks fun. I'll have to see if I can come out!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #7865
Pheo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hi Guys

Moved back to Boise late last fall from Seattle, had just started to get to know the local eastsiders too, so looking to pick up and meet some of the local Boise gang

I don't really do any dirt yet, but ride an R1200GS whenever I can, always up for a beer with fellow ADVers or a ride to nowhere

Looking forward to the longer riding season :)
Pheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #7866
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheo View Post
Hi Guys

Moved back to Boise late last fall from Seattle, had just started to get to know the local eastsiders too, so looking to pick up and meet some of the local Boise gang

I don't really do any dirt yet, but ride an R1200GS whenever I can, always up for a beer with fellow ADVers or a ride to nowhere

Looking forward to the longer riding season :)
Welcome back.

I need to teas you a bit as I am from Seattle originally. Longer riding season... only for fare weather riders! I was able to ride between 10.5 and 11.5 months a year in Seattle with only a Gerbing jacket and gloves. (Not sure I would be willing to do that in Boise with the risk of ice during the winter...)

I do love the riding weather out here durring the rest of the year!
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #7867
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 524
I spent a couple of years in Seattle myself, and I gotta say, I prefer the sub freezing and 100+ heat we get here because, well, its dry :) And for those of you unfamiliar with the area (and anyone else) who would like to get out for a couple of hours in the evenings during the week (usually wednesdays) and meet some fellow riders I am going to start doing the "weekday afterwork rides" again now that the time has changed and it stays light longer, check here or here for when and where.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot

FoolHardy screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 11:57 AM
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #7868
Pheo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc21 View Post
Welcome back.

I need to teas you a bit as I am from Seattle originally. Longer riding season... only for fare weather riders! I was able to ride between 10.5 and 11.5 months a year in Seattle with only a Gerbing jacket and gloves. (Not sure I would be willing to do that in Boise with the risk of ice during the winter...)

I do love the riding weather out here durring the rest of the year!
Haha valid point, I was out in January last year in Seattle but didn't start till Feb 1st this year! too bloody cold :)
Pheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #7869
coolsen
Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheo View Post
Haha valid point, I was out in January last year in Seattle but didn't start till Feb 1st this year! too bloody cold :)
Never let a little cold weather or snow dampen your riding. You can ride every month of the year......this photo was taken in early March a few years ago of RWC and me riding up Grimes Creek near Grimes Pass.

coolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #7870
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Move to Boise?

Hey guys, just found this thread and have a few questions for you guys.

We discovered Boise last summer when we visited Boise State for my daughter ( looks like she has settled on Boise state) to check out as a potential place of higher learning.
We were there for 5 days and took in the school and all the local amenities.
After coming home we just couldn't get Boise off our mind.
We were blown away by the whole vibe of the place. I am originally from the deep south ( Fla.) and am a pretty conservative guy and have never really fit in here in Socal.
Boise seems much more conservative and just has a wholesomeness about it we have been missing.

So tell me, would this be a good place to move our expanding business?
I all ready know that the riding up there is epic, but what about the business climate.
I have some industry friends up there and they have favorable things to say.
Traffic is a breeze compared to here, so already love that.
But what say yee?

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #7871
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
In general, Idaho is business friendly. It's a "Right to Work" state. I would imagine the tax structure has to be better than California. I'm not sure what your business is, but there is a good work force available here. The only negative that I can think of would possibly be an increase in shipping costs for materials and finished product.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #7872
silverspurs
what's over there?

Oddometer: 740
IAMC site is WORKING!!

Just letting everyone know that the IAMC website is up and working now... YAY!!

You can take care of Dues and also sign up for the 2014 Challenge...

See ya'll at the Dinner on Saturday March 22nd... 4pm at the upstairs meeting room at Happy Trails... 11777 Executive Dr, Boise, ID

more details here:

http://www.motoidaho.com/node/2155

Thanks Heather, Dax and Ed for getting us up and rolling again!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #7873
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayNow View Post
In general, Idaho is business friendly. It's a "Right to Work" state. I would imagine the tax structure has to be better than California. I'm not sure what your business is, but there is a good work force available here. The only negative that I can think of would possibly be an increase in shipping costs for materials and finished product.
My business is in my tag line.
Tell me about the single track, is it true what I hear?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #7874
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayNow View Post
My business is in my tag line.
Tell me about the single track, is it true what I hear?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #7875
3horsepack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Don't tell them from where you came.

Hi, Boise and the surrounding area is great. Funny, you don't see many from Hemet, Ca. Spent my Jr College years at Mt. San Jacinto College playing football for Bob Stangel. Originally from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. But what I found is once here in Idaho I didn't want to leave. Give a holler and good luck.
3horsepack is offline   Reply With Quote