Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #151
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Sweet lil' JMo Jenny "channelling" through Doctor Mitch is just too weird for me...???! I keep reading Jenny's words and reports... and hearing John's voice... Yep... now I'm gonna have nightmares... thanx...
I have this mental image of seeing John in a film for example, speaking with Jenny's voice

It's also nice to hear that the LC4-50 is going strong
Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #152
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
I have this mental image of seeing John in a film for example, speaking with Jenny's voice
That's NOT helping Dimi... Now I have TWO (more) disturbing images that haunt me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:16 AM   #153
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
That's NOT helping Dimi... Now I have TWO (more) disturbing images that haunt me...
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 AM   #154
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
What with the "Wifi", bluetooth compatible "Hands free" full mobile coverage (Sth American) Dakar of the last six years... everyone seems to have forgotten how it ("used"?) to be in Africa...
And yet, we're getting a lot of amazing pictures

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #155
640 Armageddon
-oo-

And finally, Jenny's first report from Day 4

Tuareg Rally Report - Day 4 (Tuesday 11th March 2014) - #47 Tony Landh

Profi Moto class: 320 kms - 90% sand piste, 10% dunes.

“Just my kind of riding!”

Located in a soft sea of sand dunes north of Nefta, an abandoned Star Wars set is the backdrop for what has been billed a ‘make or break’ day for those riders looking to finish the Tuareg Rallye without any time penalties.

Fortunately, Tony Landh was back on top form after what he considered a lack-lustre performance the day before.

As the first Torque Racing rider home - well within the maximum time allowed for the grueling all-sand stage, and finishing forth overall just an hour and fifteen minutes behind race leader Rob Smits, Tony was very pleased with how the day had unfolded.

“It was fantastic - terrific riding!” he smiles “A very long day, but that is exactly what rallies are supposed to be of course!”

“I feel everything went really well today - I made a little navigation mistake during the first lap but nothing major - otherwise it was perfect... no crashes!” he grins.

This style of fast sand riding clearly suits Tony’s style, and together with a good result last year during stage 4, once again he was one of the fastest riders on the day, and one of only a few who managed to finish all four 80 kilometer laps within the prescribed time limit, reaching every checkpoint with no penalties.

In what is seemingly becoming a daily habit, Tony even found time to help another rider who had crashed heavily at high speed on the second lap; followed by another later in the day who was having trouble with his GPS. “It’s always like that” he smiles “You have to stop for a second or two and help people here and there.”

The mechanical troubles that Tony has suffered early on in the rally seem to have disappeared; and clearly after the success of today, he will now embark on the second half of the rally with renewed enthusiasm “Today was terrific - just my kind of riding!” he grins.

Tony's excellent result on today's stage has seen him leap up the leader board and he is now comfortably in the top ten overall going into the second half of the rally.

ends.

Stage result: day 4/7: 4th (7h37m)

Overall position: day 4/7: 6th

Old 03-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #156
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,172
OMG - bandwidth!

I've just got to the hotel in Douz (where the bivouac stays until the end of the rally now) and thankfully, there is noone here so I can get on line at last!

I've uploaded a few photos, and will post them here as best I can before it all goes to sh!t again...

First up, Ben Young from the start of Day 2...

Ben had a cracking day yesterday, and is on target for a penalty-free rally and the coveted Red 'Tuareg Head' award - which is in fact just a red version of the yellow sew-on patch you get at the start of the race... ahem. However, this year especially it is very fiercely fought for, especially as Day 4 was 33% longer than it was last year, in the same time frame...

Go Ben!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #157
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

The Moto line-up for the Le Mans style sprint start on Day 1:

The cars:

And just 400 yards from the start line, this happened to one of the race trucks...

Fast going at the start of day 1:

Jx
Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #158
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

During the Star Wars day (stage 4) yesterday, the Torque Racing team set up camp in the desert (the four laps for the Moto Profi riders required refueling all day):

This year, Torque are sharing the Rallyservice.SE truck with 5 Swedish riders, including my highlighted rider Tony Landh, who had a storming day yesterday - finishing 4th on the stage and bumping him up to 6th in the overall standings after what he felt was a lack-lustre performance at the beginning of the rally... of course to the rest of us, he's been storming all week!

We also go the opportunity to properly test the LC4-50 in the sand yesterday... Martin Wittering (Torque Racing) was ably to tweak the fueling by lap top in the field:

While Calle (Hagenblad) also managed to blag a go on the LC4-50, and was genuinely impressed!

Now all we have to do is convince him to ride the sister bike in Dakar 2015!

Jx
Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #159
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

And now a few photos of John Mitchinson (Rally Raid Products) aka KTMmitch razzing the LC4-50 through the dunes... it's proper eye-candy!

Jx
Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 AM   #160
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Report - Scrutineering (Friday March 7th 2014) - #317 Paul Castle

“Avoiding penalties - that’s my goal”

With his bike arriving from the UK early in the morning on the eve of the rally, Paul Castle immediately set to work undertaking the last minute preparations required prior to event scrutineering.

“The atmosphere is like a carnival” he smiles as he describes the apparent chaos around the bivouac that precedes a typical desert rally. “This is the first time I’ve entered an event like this, so it’s a mixture of excitement and nervousness - not really knowing what you need to do, or where you need to be at a particular time - but somehow it all comes together after all” he grins.

For example, there was a mild moment of panic during the scrutineering inspection when his rear lights refused to work: “I was under pressure from the officials to fix it right there and then - fortunately it was simply a connector that had come undone while I’d been applying the [Team Dirtpunk/ZenOverland] graphics to the bodywork earlier - and it’s all good practice” he smiles.

Paul was impressed with the shear diversity of the competition “There are some amazing vehicles here - and the majority of the competitors do appear pretty serious [about it all]” he concludes. “Of course I don’t really consider myself actual ‘competition’ in that regard - I’m really just here to see what it’s all about - I just want to ride my own race, and concentrate on my navigation - make sure I get every waypoint [and thus avoid an penalties] - that’s my goal.”

Despite his modest intentions, there was also a glint in his eye “Of course I also love speed, and I love riding in dunes” he says “But at the same time, I’ve only really just recovered from a broken wrist (sustained in training before Christmas), so I really don’t want to repeat that!”

Paul will be riding the Tuareg Rallye 2014 with his Dirtpunk/ZenOverland teammate Gabriel Bolton, in the Moto Profi group with consecutive race numbers #317 & #318.

ends.

Stage result: not applicable

Overall position: not applicable

Photo:

Links: www.dirtpunk.co.uk www.zenoverland.com
Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 AM   #161
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Report - Scrutineering (Friday March 7th 2014) - #318 Gabriel Bolton

“A big challenge”

As a first-time desert-rally participant Gabriel Bolton together with his Dirtpunk/ZenOverland teammate Paul Castle initially signed-up for the 2014 Tuareg Rallye in the amateur category, but have elected to race in the Moto Profi classification after all.

“We both felt it was actually better to start off in Profi category, and see how we fair after the first day” Gabriel reveals. “We understand there is some fantastic and technically challenging riding during the week, and it would be a shame to miss out on that” he grins “If we don’t try it in the first place, then we’ll never know if we were good enough after all!”

While no stranger to desert riding himself, and indeed an accomplished Baja 250 racer and UK enduro rider, this is Gabriel’s first road-book navigation rally.

“There seems to be a good mix of people here - some who don’t seem to be taking things all that seriously; while others who have some very professional looking kit, and have clearly invested a lot of time and money in their campaign. It’s lovely to be involved in an event with so much variation” he exclaims.

Gabriel’s personal approach is rather more modest. “The only really important thing is to finish without injuring ourselves” he says. “In fact to be honest - it doesn’t really matter if we don’t actually finish - just as long as we still have a great time” he smiles.

“At the same time, it would also be nice if we could actually achieve a reasonable [overall] result too by the end of the week” he continues. “Both Paul and I have raced in UK rallies together before, and it usually ends up getting a little competitive - between ourselves and the rest of the competition” he adds with a smile. “It can be very difficult to resist that, and I think for both of us that is going to be one of the biggest challenges.”

Gabriel Bolton #318 - will be riding the Tuareg Rallye 2014 with his Dirtpunk/ZenOverland teammate Paul Castle #317, in the Moto Profi group.

ends.

Photo:

Links: www.zenoverland.com www.dirtpunk.co.uk
Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #162
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Report - Scrutineering (Friday March 7th 2014) - #47 Tony Landh

“The need to focus”

For a rider more used to battling through snow and Scandinavian forest enduros, 53 year old Tony Landh delivered a stand out performance last year during the Tuareg Rallye, finishing 9th overall in what was his first desert navigation event.

Returning this year with the intention to improve on that result, he also has a brand new bike - albeit it his tried and trusted combination of 450cc KTM and the innovative Swedish Raid Designs MRS rallye kit - offering a very lightweight and maneuverable machine.

“Last year I was finding my pace - it was my first time using a road book, so I treated if more like an adventure ride - we even stopped on the second day to take photos!” he laughs.

“This year however, it is my intention is to get into ‘race-mode’ right from the beginning - then I will be able to see exactly what it will take [to improve on last year]” he says.

Despite a slightly smaller field than in 2013, Tony doesn’t feel that is going to be any advantage “It is the cream of the crop that is here” he suggests “And as always, the caliber of competition is very high...”

“I still feel my weakness is in the navigation” he reveals “Last year I was able to find each individual waypoint - but what I need to do now is concentrate on linking all those together, and try to eliminate the opportunity for errors.” Having witnessed the pace of the front-runners, Tony also admits “The other thing I’m going to have to do is raise my speed just a little more, and also try to avoid riding as part of a pack.”

Certainly for someone more used to close-contact enduro style racing, the desert particularly holds new-found appeal “For me I like the solitude - and the need for [total] focus” he says.

ends.

Photo:

Links: www.facebook.com/landhofracing Youtube: alwaysktm
Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 AM   #163
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Report - Day 1 (Saturday 8th March 2014) - #317 Paul Castle

Profi Moto class: 130 kms - 30% dunes, 70% sand piste.

“Thank goodness for Mondo Sahara!”

Paul Castle was clearly in a confident mood at the end of the first day, finishing comfortably in the top half of the Moto Profi class having avoided any penalties.

“It was absolutely brilliant” he grins “It was very very sandy, but really wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be - although I am glad we did Mondo Sahara (three weeks riding in the Mauritanian and Mali desert), otherwise we’d have been in real trouble I think!”

“I came off quite a few times - flying over the bars, and got stuck numerous times too, but overall I think the cooler weather [this year] means thankfully the sand isn’t quite so soft.”

The first day of the Tuareg Rallye in Tunisia is notorious for throwing the Moto riders right in at the deep end - and therefore allows riders to change class without penalty should they feel.

“I’m so glad we chose to enter Profi” says Paul “I think we’d have felt short-changed at the end of the first lap if we’d thought that’s all there was today...”

Despite to prospect of riding double the distance required by the amateur competitors, Paul and his teammate Gabriel Bolton attacked the 2nd loop with confident enthusiasm; and together with overcoming Gabriel’s mechanical problem, actually managed to finish the second half of the stage faster than the first - crossing the line together with a total time of 5h 41m.

“The navigation was fine - and to be honest after the first lap, we realised there were so many [GPS] waypoints to guide us [in the open dune terrain] that it was more about sticking to the compass headings and following the GPS arrow, rather than the roadbook instructions.”

“Everything went really well, really smoothly, other than Gabe’s clutch problem of course - but fortunately we were able to pick our way through the dunes and get to the end with no penalties. “I had a small issue with my brake hose rubbing, but again an easy fix once the bikes were back with our support team [Desert Rose Racing] - while we could relax with a beer!” He grins.

ends.

Stage result: day 1/7: 29th (5h41m)

Overall position: day 1/7: 29th

Photo:

Links: www.dirtpunk.co.uk www.zenoverland.com
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #164
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tuareg Rally Report - Day 1 (Saturday 8th March 2014) - #318 Gabriel Bolton

Profi Moto class: 130 kms - 30% dunes, 70% sand piste.

“I still feel 100%”

Gabriel has a successful first day, despite a mechanical problem towards the end of the stage.

“Fortunately it wasn’t as bad as I’d feared” he begins. “Both Paul and I had built up a picture after hearing these stories [from last year] about how soft the sand dunes were, and how difficult it would be, but I was pleasantly surprised.”

“We stuck to our plan to take it easy and stay together for the first day” he continues “We just jogged to the bikes [during the Le Mans style sprint start], then kept a steady pace and concentrated on our navigation - making sure everything was spot-on, and it seems to have paid dividends - we made every checkpoint, which was our goal.”

“We rode well within our limits - passed a few riders, were passed by others, and finished the first loop (target time between 2-4 hours) in three hours, which we were very pleased with.”

“Of course we got stuck from time to time, and came off a few times - but we helped each other out - and by the end of the first loop [the Profi group ride double the distance of the amateur riders on the first day] we both felt perfectly able to continue the second half - which was reassuring that we’d made the right choice entering Profi after all.”

Gabe suffered a minor set-back late in the second half, when his clutch cable broke while tackling the soft dunes. “I had a [brand new] spare cable with me, but unfortunately they had supplied the wrong one, and it wouldn’t fit the bike!” he exclaims “The was nothing else to do by try and ride to the end without using the clutch - fortunately we were only about 15 kilometers from the end, and I wasn’t going to forfeit the final checkpoint.”

“It’s only the end of the first day, but I still feel 100% ready to tackle a good few more days like this” he says “Had we tried to ride faster, I’m sure we wouldn’t be looking at the rest of the rally with such optimism!”

ends.

Stage result: day 1/7: 29th (5h41m)

Overall position: day 1/7: 29th

Photo:

Links: www.zenoverland.com www.dirtpunk.co.uk
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #165
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,472
JMo's finally climbed back into her own body... whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote