Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #1156
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,376
So as I alluded to earlier, I got my basic Virb today. I do like the look of it a little better than the Elite. The black finish will be so much easier to keep clean.

Maybe Garmin should put out a red one. That would look good.

Or an orange one, to blend in on KTMs.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #1157
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
So, question - I got my Elite and played with it a bit on Sunday. I notice you can have multiple cameras set up and controlled from one remote or a 'Main' Virb. Would there be any reason to use additional Elites as the secondary cameras? It might be interesting to play around with if I can pick up a second VIRB cheap somewhere along the way...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #1158
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
So, question - I got my Elite and played with it a bit on Sunday. I notice you can have multiple cameras set up and controlled from one remote or a 'Main' Virb. Would there be any reason to use additional Elites as the secondary cameras? It might be interesting to play around with if I can pick up a second VIRB cheap somewhere along the way...

The secondary cameras don't have to be the Elite model. The control is over ANT+, so the basic one will do.

I can see uses for the secondary camera controlled by the primary one. Like in instances where you're riding something and you want the rider's perspective and a fixed wide view from the ground.

Or front and back facing cameras.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #1159
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I wanted to add music to a video. When using Virb Edit it seems to layer the music on top of the existing sound. How do I replace the existing sound with music?

Best
Greg Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #1160
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wildwood View Post
I wanted to add music to a video. When using Virb Edit it seems to layer the music on top of the existing sound. How do I replace the existing sound with music?
In the Edit window there's a slider that lets you turn the original sound down up to 0%.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #1161
Greg Wildwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
In the Edit window there's a slider that lets you turn the original sound down up to 0%.

Thanks I will give it a try.

Best
Greg Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #1162
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 157
Just a word of thanks...

I'd just like to say thanks to all of you, with a special thanks to Emmbeedee who started and has mothered this thread....it's been a great help to me in learning about this new device and I find new challenges each day when I read the recent posts.... Good Job to all of you!
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #1163
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
I'd just like to say thanks to all of you, with a special thanks to Emmbeedee who started and has mothered this thread....it's been a great help to me in learning about this new device and I find new challenges each day when I read the recent posts.... Good Job to all of you!
Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know this is useful to others.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #1164
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
It might be interesting to play around with if I can pick up a second VIRB cheap somewhere along the way...
So I started trying out the Remote app on my gps with the two cameras, one set as Main, the other Extended and the damn thing didn't seem to work at all on the gps until I remembered that the 78S is not a Touch Screen!

Doh! You have to use the Enter and direction toggle arrow to make the menu work on the 78S. Then it worked beautifully.

I plan to try this out at different distances between camera and Remote asap, to see how far apart a setup can be.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 08:07 PM
Old 03-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #1165
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

If we're going to have yet another Winter storm, I might as well video it...

Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #1166
MTDuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I took the plunge....

Cameras came in.....now I can start contributing to this thread once I get some basics down.

Considering mounting options.

I would love to get by mounting on the bike vs. helmet. How many of you avoid helmet mounts successfully?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #1167
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So as I alluded to earlier, I got my basic Virb today. I do like the look of it a little better than the Elite. The black finish will be so much easier to keep clean.

Maybe Garmin should put out a red one. That would look good.

Or an orange one, to blend in on KTMs.
Hey EmmBeeDee,
I believe you have the Garmin Monterra, as do I. It has a GPS track that can be imported into the VIRB edit software. Lots of other stuff too (tempe, ec). The ANT+ interface is used for most. Who knows, maybe the VIRB can add the GPS info from the Monterra. Certainly the remote control should work. So what functionality would I lose if I got a VIRB instead of a VIRB Elite?

BTW, you are a valuable resource that I am sure is greatly appreciated by many. Thanks for being there.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #1168
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Not to steal Emmbeedee's thunder, but if you open the manual PDF and search for 'Elite', it does a pretty good job of calling out the features that are available to Elite only. Basically, Dashboards, leveling options, Auto Start/Stop Recording, Auto setting of the clock, internal Tracks, and Wifi-based Remote Control (i.e., from a cell phone).
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #1169
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Hey EmmBeeDee,
I believe you have the Garmin Monterra, as do I. It has a GPS track that can be imported into the VIRB edit software. Lots of other stuff too (tempe, ec). The ANT+ interface is used for most. Who knows, maybe the VIRB can add the GPS info from the Monterra. Certainly the remote control should work. So what functionality would I lose if I got a VIRB instead of a VIRB Elite?

BTW, you are a valuable resource that I am sure is greatly appreciated by many. Thanks for being there.
Thanks for the feedback, Chazbo.

Re the Monterra and the VIRB. I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Monterra has a ANT+ Remote application to use for the VIRB. The VIRB Android app actually works via WiFi.

Who knows, Garmin may release an ANT+ app for the Monterra/VIRB Remote, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. One of the other real drawbacks of the Monterra (or Panderra, as I call it) is that it does not connect wirelessly to the Montana or any of the other Garmin units with wireless transfer capabilities. I don't see Garmin fixing that either, in the near future.

What the lack of ANT+ Remote capabilities means, with regard to the VIRB, is that you'll need to get the Elite if you want to use the Monterra as a remote.

But there's not a huge difference in the price between the Basic and the Elite, so I think it's false economy to go cheap if it's your one and only VIRB. In fact I've already thought I should have got a second Elite instead of the Basic one I bought this week.

Oh well...
Old 03-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #1170
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDuke View Post
Considering mounting options.

I would love to get by mounting on the bike vs. helmet. How many of you avoid helmet mounts successfully?
Gotta say, helmet mounting removes engine vibration from the equation... But you should try to arrange options - the same shot all the time gets kind of boring anyway.

I think you need to experiment with mounting the camera to the bike and try each location out while it doesn't matter if the video turns out badly. Then you won't ruin your holiday videos.

Easy for me to suggest multiple mounting points. I can set them all up beforehand.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 11:30 AM