Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #1171
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,172
I so far don't use helmet mount and I think I it works pretty well.
But I still may mount on my helmet.
I think the key to a good video is to use a few angles and not limit yourself to just one.
My. 02

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #1172
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
I so far don't use helmet mount and I think I it works pretty well.
But I still may mount on my helmet.
I think the key to a good video is to use a few angles and not limit yourself to just one.
My. 02

Fred
Lost Rider's videos proves conclusively that a bike mounted VIRB can produce outstanding results, though he said he used two cameras and did not specifically say where the VIRB was used or where or how they were mounted. If there ever was an example of multiple angles producing a good video, his videos are the benchmark for excellence.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #1173
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
Lost Rider's videos proves conclusively that a bike mounted VIRB can produce outstanding results, though he said he used two cameras and did not specifically say where the VIRB was used or where or how they were mounted. If there ever was an example of multiple angles producing a good video, his videos are the benchmark for excellence.
I agree he is good.

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 03-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #1174
USAIR
picking and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Gotta say, helmet mounting removes engine vibration from the equation... But you should try to arrange options - the same shot all the time gets kind of boring anyway.

I think you need to experiment with mounting the camera to the bike and try each location out while it doesn't matter if the video turns out badly. Then you won't ruin your holiday videos.

Easy for me to suggest multiple mounting points. I can set them all up beforehand.

Wow your collection is growing....so is mine.

Fred
Beware of the Wallnut
Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #1175
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think RAM mounts will make a big difference. This is a video I took with a GP2, on RAM mounts on the forks of my DR650. The times when the camera blurs I think can be traced to high frequency vibration from the engine when it's revving up around 6000 or so rpm, none of which you'll have on a bicycle seat post.

Do you have a pic of how you mounted the camera for this angle?

I saw this earlier vid showing the front fender, tire and fork gaiter and wanted to try it. I thought the camera was mounted on the front reflector bracket so I mounted a ball there. I couldn't get the same view, but I'll leave the ball for future angles. You can see the splash on the fork tube is getting high enough to hit the camera lens. If I rotate the camera 180* (down and back), it hits the oil cooler when turning right. Maybe the left side has enough clearance. Regardless, that will put the camera upside down so I'll have to set 'this side down'.

If I leaned forward, I could see the VIRB's LED and could actually see the view finder's image well enough to know when the camera shifted down a bit, recording too much pavement. With the remote on my wrist, the camera stayed on standby for 3-1/2 hours, not shutting off. (not a lot of video, probably less than an hour)

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 04:18 PM
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #1176
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Do you have a pic of how you mounted the camera for this angle?

I saw this earlier vid showing the front fender, tire and fork gaiter and wanted to try it. I thought the camera was mounted on the front reflector bracket so I mounted a ball there. I couldn't get the same view, but I'll leave the ball for future angles.
That's close to how I had my camera mounted except I used a long arm and had it go down to the GP camera which was upside down, hanging off the bracket.

That gave me this kind of view.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #1177
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Got it, thanks.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #1178
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Wow your collection is growing....so is mine.
These are the spares.

I have one last GoPro mount in the box, just to remind myself of what crap they are.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #1179
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

The one thing I really hate about the basic VIRB is having to set the date/time manually.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #1180
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
So true, but after trying to sync the gps data from my Edge bicycle gps with my Virb Elite video I dont know what to say about the clock in the elite. It must be off 10 seconds or so.
Which is kinda strange since my experiments with iPhone video and gpx travk was dead on correct in Virb Edit.
But, geotagging and auto sync of the clock is main reson my next virb would definately be an Elite model as well.
Today we are spoilt when using phones to take pictures, time is allways dead on as well as location.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #1181
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
So true, but after trying to sync the gps data from my Edge bicycle gps with my Virb Elite video I dont know what to say about the clock in the elite. It must be off 10 seconds or so.
Which is kinda strange since my experiments with iPhone video and gpx travk was dead on correct in Virb Edit.
But, geotagging and auto sync of the clock is main reson my next virb would definately be an Elite model as well.
Today we are spoilt when using phones to take pictures, time is allways dead on as well as location.
Good point. It hadn't really occurred to me that exact time sync would be necessary, but it looks like it might not be easy to do on the basic Virb. You can toggle the time in Virb Edit to line things up, but adding geolocation info to photos will be a bit tedious.

Hmmm. Definitely tips the scale towards the Elite, IMHO.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #1182
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

I need to put a ball in this fitting. It's on my bark buster, canted both forward and a bit to the right. The connectors with the teeth (like on my helmet) are too coarse, the ball is infinite. And then I can switch sides with my GPS if I want.

For those wondering about a modular helmet.

I have to use one short extension or the cradle would hit the visor. The angle is correct for good framing.

The long tether included with the remote fits very well, no tug but no free length blowin' in the wind (insert song here). Now you have an excuse to buy the remote.

Side view with visor down. It's tallish (in my shadow), but no buffeting up to 65 mph.

I wanted to put it here but neither sticky pad made good contact. You won't need any extra extensions (one more than in the pic, to get a 90* bend so the camera is correctly oriented), the camera will lie right next to the surface. Right side because I'm thinking about a helmet comm and the remote will eliminate the problem with the slide switch against the helmet.

Quote:

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 05:33 PM
Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #1183
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

So this is my new camera stand.

I used the clamp on the rear grab handle of my new to me bike as I brought it home today.

Here's 30 seconds of the view; not great, but it was stable!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #1184
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 659
Two problems. What causes jerky play-back? It goes from smooth to jerky back to smooth. Also, yesterday I tried the playback on the unit itself and it would lock up at random times playing. I found if I hit pause and play again it would start playing. This would happen numerous times on a 3 minute clip. Other clips had the same problem(s).
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #1185
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
Two problems. What causes jerky play-back? It goes from smooth to jerky back to smooth. Also, yesterday I tried the playback on the unit itself and it would lock up at random times playing. I found if I hit pause and play again it would start playing. This would happen numerous times on a 3 minute clip. Other clips had the same problem(s).
Do you have a good quality Class 10 SD card in there?