User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #3016
HoJoOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Now I'm really proud of you Noah.

Thanks for the Pol Pot and Killing Fields reminder. It reminds me of East Semore.

Keep on being who you are.
HoJoOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #3017
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoOkie View Post
It reminds me of East Semore.
Did you perhaps mean East Timor?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 AM   #3018
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by K777 View Post
I just caught up on your RR after being turned on to it from Lalo aka Flyingdutchman. Loved every minute of your ride.
I'm a just shy of 50 female scooter rider turned BMW 700 GS rider who has ridden lots of Vespa miles solo and have many planned Beemer solo miles planned this season.
For a few years I've been thinking/planning a Vietnam trip, and next year I'm going to make it happen. My friends keep pulling out, but I'm doing it no matter what in 2015.
2 questions
I was thinking October, but was January a good time to be riding there? I'm planning on a north west trip from Hanoi and want to avoid the rainy season.
Why a scooter? Don't get me wrong, my Vespas are the best way to get around NYC where I live, but if it weren't for getting through customs into Cambodia(?) would you have rather rented a 125 or 250 motorcycle?

Ride on, love it, and stay safe. You are so lucky to be doing this at your age. I'm trying to keep healthy so I can do it when I retire.
Get something that Vietnamese mechanics can work on. I have a broken xr 250 that has been a real pain to get parts for. The speeds are very low so a scooter is fine. I paid $3k for xr250 and $300 for my wife's Yamaha nuovo 2.
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #3019
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
KLR's will rule the end of the WORLD !!!
jj
I had read somewhere's , that at the end of the world, there would only cock roaches and KLR's still around. LOL!

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #3020
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.riner View Post
Get something that Vietnamese mechanics can work on. I have a broken xr 250 that has been a real pain to get parts for. The speeds are very low so a scooter is fine. I paid $3k for xr250 and $300 for my wife's Yamaha nuovo 2.
I did some riding in Thailand....and although speed wise the scoots are more than adequate , they are misery in the hills! Give me gears or give me death!
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #3021
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.riner View Post
Yeah.. Rent if you want a big bike. Buy or rent if you want a scooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
I did some riding in Thailand....and although speed wise the scoots are more than adequate , they are misery in the hills! Give me gears or give me death!
If I did it again, I would try to get a big bike (250cc).. or bring one in. My ass was soooo sore after a few days on the scooter. I never thought my 690 would be more comfortable then a Honda wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
I had read somewhere's , that at the end of the world, there would only cock roaches and KLR's still around. LOL!
The difference.. Its hard to kill a cockroach.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #3022
gperkins
graeme

Oddometer: 57
That's a hell of a ride you have taken me on. I can only imagine how it felt from your side. I'm in total agreeance about the weight of 'adventure" bikes. Be like me and try and work out whats best for 2 up. 1200's, forget it. If Triumph could just strip 30-40 kilos off of the Tiger. But it wont happen. Of course KTM have a gaping hole that needs to be plugged between 690 and 1190cc. I reckon they will get around to it, at least I hope so. At the moment the wife and I are looking at doing the reverse to what you have done Noah on an old airhead, unless something else pops up. In any case you are more than welcome to drop by home for some R&R once in Oz. I can offer bed, fullish w/shop, 10 mins from the coast on a quiet small farm. You can catch me at, gp dot kl dot perkins at gmail dot com
Oh, we were in Vietnam 3 years ago, loved it. In two weeks we head over to the south Isl of NZ for 3 weeks, for some relaxed m/bike touring. Yippee

safe travels

Graeme
gperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #3023
icelandmg066
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
hey noah great thread very interesting i take my hat off to you i shall be watching this keep safe....you are being watched from ICELAND...
icelandmg066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #3024
Katoom990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Give me a break. I've been busy
Plus.. I'm always a few weeks behind

In regards to the picture, I would like to say that this is the first time and last time I have riden in flip flops. I usually practice ATGATT. Thanks for posting an incriminating photo Lalo!

Riding in flip flops seems to be the norm in many parts of Asia. I was once riding in a car and happened to look out the window as an elderly chap pulled up on a scooter. For some reason I happened to look down at his flip flop-clad foot and was shocked to see his toes looked like they were shaved off. Couldn't be sure, but I can bet that at some time in his life he probably had a good slide along the asphalt while wearing those flip flops. That incident reinforced my belief in ATGATT! Even in 38 degree Celsius temps!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #3025
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
And Twinkies. Don't forget Twinkies.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #3026
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
you got me thinking

After spending some time with you, you got me thinking about a couple of things:

I think i am going to sell my big BMW when i am finished with in Europe and then finish my trip on a smaller bike that will not limit me

The other thing is i am thinking it might be nice to leave some room for a passenger to travel with me. Afterall, i will be heading thru Ukraine this summer

For now, i am enjoying riding my big 250 thru Vietnam. I don't know how i got in' but i am not asking questions
flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #3027
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Morning Ed, listen to Noah. I'm pretty sure He will tell you to sell the big BMW and buy a KLR
If you do ,you could extend your trip another two or three years!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #3028
DOR.esk724
Living the Dream..

Oddometer: 7
Subscribed

Hmm..kinda late..but subscribed.
Just finished reading the first 200 pages, and what an adventure!!
Thank you Noah, for taking me along.. It's been amazing.
Will be following you until you get back...
Happy trails..
DOR.esk724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #3029
wmdspalmer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Man, a thread like this makes me want to take a trip around the world on two wheels. I have been around the world but not on a cycle. Well done and looking forward to more!!!
wmdspalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #3030
SM8084
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
After two terms of school I fell behind slightly, but I'm caught up now. After 200+ pages I noticed you switched helmets. Could you possibly give me some pros and cons for both?

thanks

The only time you have too much fuel, is when your on fire.
SM8084 is offline   Reply With Quote