ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #10531
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
I just can't see the city navigator files in map install that is the problem. Also when I run Map Install it says I will be deleting all files before adding the new map image
If you have enough space on the device or the sd card, you could always rename it so it's not overwritten when you send the new map.

Are you on a Mac or a PC?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #10532
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
mac so if I take the files from the micro sd and copy them to the 16gb card, then change which file name? then load the 24k maps?
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #10533
OldGringoTx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'll play! Received my Montana a few weeks back to replace a 'tits up' Street Pilot. I've read the Garmin Manual, browsed both Garmin and Basecamp WIKI pages, a lot of the previous 700 pages here and have to admit my head is so screwed up I'm not sure I know how to turn the darn thing on.
One thing for sure, it's going to be a great replacement once I wrap my mind around it! That is all, carry on.......

OldGringoTx screwed with this post 03-09-2014 at 06:44 PM
OldGringoTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #10534
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGringoTx View Post
...... I've read the Garmin Manual, browsed both Garmin and Basecamp WIKI pages, a lot of the previous 700 pages here and have to admit my head is so screwed up I'm not sure I know how to turn the darn thing on.
Patience, Grasshopper.....Montana wisdom slowly come.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #10535
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I think the file change worked. Took the files from the 24k and used map install to put them on my 16gb sd card. Then took the files within the garmin folder on the city nag card and just added a 1 to the end of each of them. Then copied those into the garmin folder on the 16gb. Then when in the unit, you just enable and disable each to use them.
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #10536
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqd1 View Post
I think the file change worked. Took the files from the 24k and used map install to put them on my 16gb sd card. Then took the files within the garmin folder on the city nag card and just added a 1 to the end of each of them. Then copied those into the garmin folder on the 16gb. Then when in the unit, you just enable and disable each to use them.
Sounds like you're getting there.

I couldn't follow up earlier as we had guests for supper.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #10537
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Oddometer: 84
Help!

Ok, it's been some years since I've messed with GPS and I just got my Montana. I have Basecamp. I am trying to get tracks that others have posted and use them for a trip. The tracks are broken down into sections. I have imported to Montana the .gpx files. I have then gone in Tracks Manager and chosen "Show on Map". It seems that when I turn the GPS off I have to tediously choose "Show on Map" every time?
Look, basically I am over my head and there is so much information. All I really want to do is have all the tracks(BDR) show on the GPS so I can follow them. I will be doing more than one Backcountry Discovery Routes so I would love to be able to simply choose Arizona BDR and have it show on the GPS and then when I want the WABDR tracks choose them. Any help is appreciated, if anyone knows of a decent tutorial for this please link it. There is SO MUCH information I'm a little overloaded.
If someone wants to take the BDR tracks from more than one BDR how do other people organize the tracks and get them to show on the GPS easily?
Thank you for any and all help, I've been trudging through this thread and others and a ton of other information on the web.

OK, think I've got it now, have to create an Adventure using the tracks!

wandering fool screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 11:24 AM Reason: Updated information
wandering fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #10538
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering fool View Post
. . .

OK, think I've got it now, have to create an Adventure using the tracks!
And if you create an Adventure for each Days Travel (one Track) and name them appropriately, you can have them sorted Alphanumerically: e.g, AZBDR-Day01, AZBDR-Day02,....

If you just put all of the AZBDR Tracks in one Adventure you will see them in the Content but when you go to the Track Manager they will not be in the proper "Day" sort order as the Track Manager does not support Alphanumeric sort.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #10539
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
And if you create an Adventure for each Days Travel (one Track) and name them appropriately, you can have them sorted Alphanumerically: e.g, AZBDR-Day01, AZBDR-Day02,....

If you just put all of the AZBDR Tracks in one Adventure you will see them in the Content but when you go to the Track Manager they will not be in the proper "Day" sort order as the Track Manager does not support Alphanumeric sort.
I found that out, but in Tracks Manager I can go in and "show on map" each section which is alright I guess. Thanks so much for the tip, I will definitely create Adventures per day or section so that I can bring them up quickly. Seems like the real work is organizing the data properly in Basecamp. I'm feeling a lot less lost now.
wandering fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #10540
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering fool View Post
I found that out, but in Tracks Manager I can go in and "show on map" each section which is alright I guess. Thanks so much for the tip, I will definitely create Adventures per day or section so that I can bring them up quickly. Seems like the real work is organizing the data properly in Basecamp. I'm feeling a lot less lost now.
May I suggest that you shorten the names as much as possible such as AZBDR-D01, AZBDR-D02, etc. The D and the - could even be deleted, but the dash makes the name much easier to read on the Montana.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #10541
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
So, how did this work out for you?

It seems fine. The screen took about 7 business to get to me. About the only thing I can add to the pictures already presented in the previous links is this one. Which shows using a little screwdriver to grab onto the printed flex circuit in order to push it into the socket. Time will tell whether the GPS holds up as well as it did before. The screens look 100% identical. Some guy is probably buying the same OEM screens that garmin probably pays $10 a piece for and marking them up massively and putting them on ebay.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #10542
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Glad to hear it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #10543
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Glad to hear it.
I suspect what happen was the screen cracked at some point by me dropping it or something but it continued to work until my last DS ride and then the screen wouldn't calibrate or respond correctly. It tried removing the dust cover film and completely pulled apart the screen. I can't blame garmin without knowing I was 100% not a fault which I cannot do.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #10544
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I suspect what happen was the screen cracked at some point by me dropping it or something but it continued to work until my last DS ride and then the screen wouldn't calibrate or respond correctly. It tried removing the dust cover film and completely pulled apart the screen. I can't blame garmin without knowing I was 100% not a fault which I cannot do.
From the scratches visible on the front, it does look like it's had a hard life
Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #10545
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I just bought a 600 and need to put CN on it. Do I install it in Base Camp then to the Montana?

Thanks