Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #61
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,294
OK, Pictures are downloaded and it's time to get this story out of Texas. You'll notice that I don't do "selfies". For one, I think that's for teenage girls, for two, I don't take pictures of ugly. Reason two is why there are few TX pictures.
I did see this cool old machine in Childress,TX. I would imagine it was an old Spartan trailer that someone converted to a motorhome many decades ago. It had very old mechanicals under it.

Shag!!!

Right after Amarillo I had to stop at the Cadillac Ranch.

Artsy shot of decades of spray paint on a differential:

Then it was a turn north to head towards NM 64. Bits of old Rt.66 were at the very beginning of it:

Aliens were there too.

Finally! About 2300 miles to get to this. Most of the day was 68 degrees once I crossed to the north side of I-40.

Rosalita was happy when I took the HippoHands off so she could see better.

I love old kitsch and can't help but stop to look at it.

I also stop to stretch my legs at a few historic markers. The topography here is such a nice change from all the flatness I'd been riding through.

While I wanted to spend the night at Taos, I knew that there wasn't enough daylight left to get there. I stopped for gas a few hours east of Taos and asked the kid at the station what the next town was like. He said Cimaronn was an hour away with nice with hotels. Bullshit. It was desolate and shitty with boarded up places. Now I had no choice but to go to Taos and turned up the wick a bit. It turned out to be a very good thing.
Holy shit, Rt. 64 through the Cimaronn valley was one of the best roads I've ever ridden. Twists, very tight turns, scenery- epic! I took some hand held video in the more gentle curves. It doesn't do it justice, but gives you an idea of the road. After that it turned into the Carson National Forest and continued to amaze. Temps dropped very quickly in the tight canyons and went to 31 for a bit. Even though daylight was waning I made a fast stop to reHippo the bars. Ahhhhh, back to toasty hands with the warmers on medium. I got into Taos just at mid dusk. I rode straight to the place Glasswife and I stayed at two years ago on our Ural ride. That big outdoor hot tub felt good after another 570 mile day.
It was late and got a great rate too.

I would recommend the El Pueblo Lodge to anyone. Great breakfasts too.

My poor attempt at hand held video of Cimaronn canyon:

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 06:48 AM
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #62
panzer
team schweinhund

Oddometer: 144
Thumb You made it brother!

Enjoy your ride, I'm amazed at the miles you've racked up on the slab & in that crappy weather. Keep up with the evening ride postings & pictures, they make for enjoyable reading to look forward to. I think you are right up there with Clement & Peter!-Panzer
Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #63
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Good morning Knecht. I've always told you that the FJR was a great mile eater. Heated grips, HippoHands plus your old heated vest and disposable toe heater packets made those miles as warm as being in a cage. I'll be sorry to see this get sold this spring. It's been my favorite for years. Little doubt that there will be a 2014 FJR in the stable in a couple of years.
I can't say that I'll be able to post every night. I am looking forward to spending some nights in the tent. I'm currently laying under a featherbed in a very comfortable bed in Taos whilst mapquesting Muley Point, Arches NP, and a few others that aren't too far away. If I'm camping you'll get a SPOT2 notice from near the sight so you know where to send the ranger to look for Glass in the bear shit.
I'll never be a Clem or Egan but I do know the three of us like the a lot of the same bikes.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #64
drtyrrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Nice pics . I painted my name on one of the caddys on my way home from phoenix last summer . Did you go by the tornado shelter rest area before Amarillo ? Moved my daughter from NY to Phoenix in December 2012. The most snow and coldest spot was Flagstaff Az. Not sure if you are headed that way if so you might need you tractor again
drtyrrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #65
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Didn't notice that shelter. I remember seeing lots of those throughout the Oklahoma region and down the Natchez Trace a year or two back. One place looked like it had been recently hit and looked like the area had gone through a blender. I'd rather bitch about the cold than risk everything to a tornado.
I'm waiting out the cold for a couple of hours. Just had the best continental breakfast you could imagine. I have a strong feeling that this will be my most comfortable stay of the entire trip. What a great place. The dining area is real old world southwest adobe construction. Beautiful.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #66
Kiwi Paddler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Glad to see that you're on another adventure, Golg, but I thought you were going to be riding down in Mexico. What happened?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #67
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Paddler View Post
Glad to see that you're on another adventure, Golg, but I thought you were going to be riding down in Mexico. What happened?
In time little brother, in time. I'm in Moab to see some sights that I've never seen. It looks like the moon here. I also want to see Arches NP, then back down to Mokie Dugway, Death Valley,.....

Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #68
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

When I last left this I had arrived in Taos just as it got dark. 24 hours later I am in Moab.
I took my time this morning because it was about 30 degrees overnight and the forecast called for a very quick warm up. I left the El Pueblo Lodge around 10 AM and it was already sunny and warm. When I got a couple miles west of town I was thinking about the great road from the evening before and was wondering when or if I'd ever ride it again. I turned around and rode about 35 miles of it eastbound. Just a great road. Besides the non stop mountain scenery I also like seeing the old buildings. This old log house looked like it had adobe over it at one time.

Once I turned around and rode back through Taos I got to the bridge over the Rio Grande.

The west side of the bridge had the usual local and Indian vendors selling all sorts of things. Stopped and may have bought something for Glasswife.

A few miles further is a community called the Earthship. These are high end eco friendly homes that are made with lots of recycled materials. Lots of old cans, tires, and bottles put together in spectacular ways. Google it if I'm boring you to death.

I said it before and I'll say it again- Rt.64 is beautiful. Now that all the miles up to and including Texas are behind me, I'm on my ride. This road twists and turns so nicely. Glasswife and I rode much of this a couple years ago with the Ural. The difference this time is 3 times the horsepower, 2/3 the amount of wheels, and nobody sitting next to me threatening to punch someone in the nutsack if they get carried away. This time I got carried away. I had to round off those flat spots that the rest of the country put down the center of my tires. Some of the sweepers were just sooo sweet. No MPHs will be mentioned.
As I went along there was almost no traffic, absolutely no law enforcement, and the road went higher and higher.

Temps went from the lower 60s to the lower 40s briefly. The sun was out and it didn't matter.

I passed a few parked pickups with snowmobile trailers. Lots of tracks and the temps around here were 55.

You can see the road twist down the mountain in this picture. I did not want this to end.

I generally don't care for what panorama pictures do to things but it was the only way to get a slight feel of the area.

Now I was approaching Colorado.

Stopped in Durango to get gas and make a couple calls to NY. Sounds like I left in time to miss even more wonderful weather. 68 in town here.

Kitsch!

Tomorrow will be spent exploring Moab and Arches, then riding back south a ways. I want to see Muley Point again.

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 11:03 PM
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #69
Kiwi Paddler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Seeing your photos of the Durango - Silverton Railway, I highly recommend that you make a booking for a ride. It's gorgeous.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #70
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Unfortunately by the time I post something I'm usually in a motel in the next place or beyond. When I'm moving the bike has half it's stuff just sitting there for the taking so I really wouldn't leave it out of site for hours. If I'm stopped for the day a bit early and unloaded I'm more apt to go do things like that.
Next time I'm there I'll take your recommendation.
I made it to Moab a day ago. It looked like a lot of other guys my age or more go there to escape the winter weather. Many of the plates on the trucks and trailers that brought these rigs were from colder states.

Then it was on to Arches National Park.

I call this one "Now you're screwed".

Explored the entire place and got some nice little hikes in. hey had a nice camping area at the end but were full. Mostly tents in spite of cooler temps up there. I also found a nice unpaved roads to explore.

There were some great scenic routes that got me back to Muley Point. The last few miles brings you back to the middle of nowhere. Miles of soft dirt, gravel, then rocks brings you to an area that is beautiful but you need to pick your lines very carefully. Well worth it.

Got camp set up quickly as it got dark.

Shortly after I got in the tent the winds picked up. It got colder and I buried my sleeping bag under my rain gear and riding gear. I was plenty warm then. I slept for a bit but woke up to howling winds and my face was cold. I put on my helmet and put the face shield down.
Ahhhh, much quieter and a warm face. A slept long enough to wake up to calm air. I went back to my hat and neck warmer and slept until first light.

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 09:09 PM
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #71
Quezzie
A. Scootertramp

Oddometer: 50
Great report, looking forward to seeing where you go! Totally identify with the title of your thread, I'm dreaming of making an escape from this lingering NE winter too. The photos of digging your bike out cracked me up, glad you're staying warm on your rides.
Quezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #72
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

So I woke up to this yesterday morning:
(The clock is still on EST. It's 3-4 hours earlier.)

I knew it would be cold, but I also knew the first light on the valley walls would be well worth it. It went up to 43 very quickly.

Packed up and ready to head down that canyon wall via Mokie Dugway. Notice how much the colors change in a very short time.

The road in and out of Mulie Point.

Down the canyon wall.

A truck and trailer that didn't make the turn. Certainly a Thelma and Louis kind of place.

Another pick up that missed a turn. No room for guard rails up here. Darwin decides how to handle inattention.

There was one small pull off. It was a nice place to stop and eat breakfast and take it all in while sitting on the edge.

Rode back to Mexican Hat. The road went from dirt to sand to silt washes to WTF am I doing in this? I found it very easy to overthrottle and over counter steer. Once I got that down I was surprised how well this bike plowed through. Too many idiots shooting bottles over the years made me stop here. The dirt had as much broken glass as it did rocks.

I stopped for gas a couple miles down the road as another rider heading the opposite way was gassing up. I said Good Morning and he answered with a German accent. I asked him about his ride and he's seen most of the world on his TransAlp. Wolf was on his way up Mokie Dugway and I told him to stop at Mulie Point. I was glad to see a more seasoned traveler map things like me. Paper map, note pad, and not much of a firm plan. We penciled in the point and he was on his way.

The topography has been like this for many hundreds of miles:

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 08:12 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #73
drtyrrel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I knew it would be cold, but I also knew the first light on the valley walls would be well worth it. It went up to 43 very quickly.

FYI snow blowing 2 plus foot of snow this morning and it's 15 degrees
drtyrrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #74
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

I'm at Zion Lodge right now. Nice and toasty down here. I just got off the phone with Glasswife. Shitty in the Bristol Hills too. While I don't get pleasure out of other's suffering with that weather, I do get great pleasure knowing I escaped some of it. - Aw hell, who am I kidding? Us Germans even have a word for it. Schadenfreude. I do have that feeling for a few special people back east. (You hearing me Craig? You deserve every bit of it. Now get back out there and shovel. )
I've got a slow internet connection so I'll have to save some good video I shot yesterday for a later date. In the meantime, here are a few shots heading into Zion.

My room right above the windshield.

The road back into the end of the park. At high season this road is closed and they have trams drive you back. Off season it is open. Utah has no helmet law and this is the one place I chose to not use it. At 25 or so MPH with little traffic I felt it worth any risk. The walls are so tall that a convertible or motorcycle are the only way to really see it. My videos that will come when I have a better connection will show you what I mean.

madeouttaglass screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 08:41 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #75
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 239
On my way!

Thanks again for the RR, Glass.
I'll be in St. George on the 22nd, and exploring Zion the 23rd - can't wait!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote