Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #3901
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
It was a small world moment when you came up after Ricardo and I started talking shop. Glad to hear you're still living the dream!

Safe travels,
Chris
Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you amigo. I assume from your new screen name that you've branched out from MX to ultimate frisbee.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #3902
GoMotor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Here is my bit on a tail box. Use any box you want -mine is an aluminum tool box- put a couple of D-rings on each side and run cables between the D-rings under the rack. You can add locks for easy on/off and turnbuckles for adjustment. Peen the threads of the turnbuckles so nobody can undo them and go ride.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 AM   #3903
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMotor View Post
Here is my bit on a tail box. Use any box you want -mine is an aluminum tool box- put a couple of D-rings on each side and run cables between the D-rings under the rack. You can add locks for easy on/off and turnbuckles for adjustment. Peen the threads of the turnbuckles so nobody can undo them and go ride.
I like that idea as a backup/safety.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #3904
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

After a couple days of waking up to drizzle and dark grey skies, it was nice to arise to blue skies and easterly winds. I can once again see Volcan Villarrica towering over town with wisps of volcanic steam blowing sideways down the mountain :

Took a stroll this morning down to the park to see if the tourist info center was open for a map of the area, but no go:

Down here in the temperate zone they have a rose garden in the park:

Brisk fresh air this morning with crystal clear skies to the south, so I guess I’ll head that way for a while longer before cutting over to Argentina.

It reminds me of autumn on the South Island of New Zealand this morning.

more later…..
Old 03-13-2014, 06:09 AM   #3905
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you amigo. I assume from your new screen name that you've branched out from MX to ultimate frisbee.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
hard to believe, but I've been playing competitive ultimate for 17ish years now... its addictive for sure. did/do you play? I rode down to Costa Rica one year to play in an annual tournament there, great time!

Riding Across 5 Countries to Play Ultimate Frisbee!
175grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #3906
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
hard to believe, but I've been playing competitive ultimate for 17ish years now... its addictive for sure. did/do you play? I rode down to Costa Rica one year to play in an annual tournament there, great time!

Riding Across 5 Countries to Play Ultimate Frisbee!
Hi Chris,

Great stuff on your Facebook page. Thanks for the link.

I am an Ultimate Frisbee fan but not a player. It wasn't around when I was on the soccer team back in Eugene Oregon or I would have surely picked it up. It didn't come to the west coast until the mid 70's and collegiate didn't start until 10 years later. It's easy to forget that I am as old as dirt.

The UofO women from my alma mater are animals this year and the men's team is in the collegiate top 10. It's a popular sport where I come from.

Glad to hear you are doing well and having fun.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 06:26 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #3907
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Spent the day wandering down backroads in the lake district:

It was perfect riding weather today. Mild in the 60’s with bright blue skies and crisp mountain air heading over ridgelines in the distance:

and down past numerous lakes:

and the smoking Mount Villarrica:

occasionally stopping to take a break and pick blackberries on the side of the road:

Not sure where I went but it was great riding. Finally circled around Lago Panguipulli and stopped back in the quaint town with the same name to get a map at the tourist info oficina to see where I was. It is such a nice area that I decided to stop early and enjoy the afternoon in Panguipulli. This area is beautiful today and I don’t feel like leaving quite yet. Am staying at the Hospedaje Dos Rios where a single room is 8000 pesos (14.50) with wifi and hot showers. The tourist office showed me a backroad down to a ferry that travels through the next lake down the way every day at 1 PM over to Argentina. Might head that way tomorrow depending on the weather south of here.

more later……
Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #3908
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Fantastic! That Lakes Region seems so perfect in all the photos I see...riding paradise
Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #3909
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
JD , we left southern Chile lakes area and headed north for Nequin-Cuyo. We will either loop around north, or slow down and explore. That'll give you a chance to catch us.
When I return to the north and become a regular joe worker, I'll string together some pix and a condensed RR story. We hit some amazing places.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #3910
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
JD , we left southern Chile lakes area and headed north for Nequin-Cuyo. We will either loop around north, or slow down and explore. That'll give you a chance to catch us.
When I return to the north and become a regular joe worker, I'll string together some pix and a condensed RR story. We hit some amazing places.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Hi Kari,

Sounds good. Will head over your way and catch up to you in Argentina or Uruguay in the next couple weeks for the second annual South American Sherpa Stomp (S.A.S.S.).

The first one was in Medellin last year. This year, who knows where it will be?

Look forward to your ride report and pics.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 AM   #3911
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

At 40 degrees south latitude you enter the roaring 40s where I am now. So named because of the strong west to east air currents howling through the southern oceans where there are few land masses to impede their progress except for the tail of South America. The weather can change in a heartbeat down here. Checking the satellite image this morning I see that it is raining not far south of here as another storm is coming in off the Pacific:

which means I’ll be heading northeast into Argentina today.

more later…..
Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #3912
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,432
Morning John!
It looks like your about to run outta South!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #3913
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 437
Don't Stop!

John your almost there, don't turn. As in aviation, if you don't like the weather in front of you then make a 360 degree turn and head that way.

Make it to the tip of South America.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #3914
black top bob
gray goat

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Learning as we go along

John, mi amigo,
I've been following you from day one. Your rr has been a tutorial for an old guy like me. I've been out in the slop riding this winter, practicing, and have been laying the groundwork for a departure on my 250 in July to do the TAT and then who knows where. Too much "self-unemployment" around here in the cold and wet. I hope I can learn the techno stuff like you do: camera, computer etc. so I can make my own rr.
Thanks, keep on trucking, and stay safe.

KLX250
TS125 (retired)
Old 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #3915
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Just arrived in Junin de Los Andes, Argentina. Thanks to a suggestion by my pal Hektoglider I am camping outside town near the river for 35 pesos ($3.50). The money is easy to figure out in Argentina since the black market rate is just over 10 to the dollar. Just move the decimal over to the left one place and you have the price in dollars.

Just came into town to get some grub. Ordered a pizza here and they have wifi, so I'll upload todays pics and stories before heading back down to the river.

So far Argentina is really nice. Compared to Chile, it's windier, gas is much cheaper, the drivers aren't as courteous and the women are better looking. We'll see how the restaurant food compares.

uploading pics..........