Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #1801
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Oddometer: 1,965
What the hell is going on here all the while Im down the beach throwing coconuts at the Strahlratte crew and its minions trying to protect them from the invasion all the help I get is them gazing into each others eyes, what is the world coming too, get a coconut and throw it for gawds sake.

rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #1802
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
great meeting all of you yahoos over the past few days.

look forward to meeting up again soon.

this time i'll be sure to keep my girl away from ya! :)

chat soon... ~ D
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #1803
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
great meeting all of you yahoos over the past few days.

look forward to meeting up again soon.

this time i'll be sure to keep my girl away from ya! :)

chat soon... ~ D

ahahahah If I was 20 years younger better looking and not to mention didn't have Ewa with me you would of had a fight on your hands to have that Strahlratte shipboard romance buddy. Might go and look into some Colombian plastic surgery and then give you a run for your money in Bogotá, bit of lipo here a bit of lipo there what's the worst that can happen Ewa ends up with huge tits.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #1804
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post
What the hell is going on here all the while Im down the beach throwing coconuts at the Strahlratte crew and its minions trying to protect them from the invasion all the help I get is them gazing into each others eyes, what is the world coming too, get a coconut and throw it for gawds sake.

'
A couple extra hands for a massage is what it looks like to me
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #1805
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

I've had to come back a few days to put in the Panama Darian gap experience even if it was so brief. We had spent a few nights in Panama City but now it was time to leave and head south. We had talked to David and Johnny who were also booked on the Strahlratte about heading over closer to the turn off to Carti where we were to board the Stahlratte so when they booked a hotel I said yeah grab us one and we will head over there with you, after all we were just going to ride and try and find something along the way.

We had spent the night in the Holiday Inn over looking the Panama Canal but got up at a reasonable hour and headed over to meet Johnny and David at the Panama House. When we arrived Julian had already left it was nice to have caught up with him after so long, the boys were all packed ready to go so after a short cigarette break we jumped on the bikes and hit the road. The ride out of town was pretty much a standard run out of any city plenty of traffic and shitty driving. It was pretty hot but I have still got the sleeves off my Dri Rider jacket which makes a lot more comfortable. The ride to Chope where the hotel was was only going to take us about an hour or so we thought.

Leaving Panama City.

David trying to impress Ev but I think he was impressing me more. It was one of my unwritten rules of my trip no showboating on the bike but I must admit seeing someone wheeling up the road does look good.

Johnny Alabama all kitted up looking snug as a bug in a rug.

We arrived at Chope and were stopped at the military check point so took the time to ask directions to hotel. One of the soldiers called another one over and apparently it was still an hour up the road, well that didn't sound right. So we went into Chope village and asked again and yeah sure enough it was 30 minutes up the road, OK that sounds much better, it turns out it was in Chope district not Chope town, so we hop back on the bikes and off we go. We get another 40 k's up the road and come to the turn off to Carti where we are supposed to be getting the boat from so decide we better pull over and ask again. This time we get its an 100 kilometers what the hell, turns out this district extends right down into the Darian gap. We mull over the idea for a few minutes the the general consensus was we ride the 40 odd k's back to Chope town and see if we can find a hotel there.

It wasn't a bad ride I have to say we were out in the sticks crossing rivers which look very enticing to stop for a swim, there was also a lot of celebrating going on with everyone being sprayed with water canons, some special day, read Ev's blog for that explanation probably. We arrived back in Chope we were all getting pretty hungry as it was now about 2 o'clock so I suggested we just grab a bit to eat in this little local eatery we still have plenty of time to sort it all out. We had chicken and rice the servings have been pretty big lately so me and Ev have just been sharing meals which pretty much saves us some money helps me from stuffing my face till I cant move.

Oh Ewa has such a lovely smile.

We hung around for awhile Eva made some new friends in the cooks everyone was watching us, although this is the Gringo highway and a lot of bikers come down here to get the boat I'm not sure how many people actually would stop in this little road side stall to eat, but to me anything full of locals is a good and safe place to find decent grub. We finished out meals and asked a few of the locals if there was any hotels in town and yes there was one so off we went in search of it. A few minutes later we are sittign outside what can only be described as a brothel and a run down one at that. One of the guys came across the road and said it doesn't open till later, I'm guessing that's when all the customers are out looking for a bed. Pretty quickly the decision was made by everyone to blow this joint and ride to the hotel we had already booked how ever far it was.

After the brothel hotel we stopped to ask if we could crash in this place but with no luck we hit the road.

Back on the highway to ride the same section for the third time by now the military checkpoints had given up stopping us to check out papers they just waved us on through probably thinking what are these dickheads up to. We ride to the turn off and then past it then rode some more then some more and then some more and then some more friggen hell where the hell is this joint. We stopped and asked another person and they said 100 kilometers omg what the f*&k. Ok we better double check with someone else up the road and this time we got a 20 minutes, that doesn't sound to bad so we just got back on the road and rode and rode and rode some more. In the end we arrived at the hotel half way to the end of the Darian Gap you wouldn't believe it, so for a ride to a hotel where we could just cut down distance we ended up further away from the turn off than we were when we were in Panama City, what a bloody classic, but I must say what a beautiful part of the world it is down here which made it something worthwhile. So for a day that started as an easy ride turned out to be a massive mission but fun all the same, and the one thing I did regret about coming down here this far into the Darian Gap was that I didn't come down here sooner, it really is beautiful.

As you get further down the Darian Gap there is check point after checkpoint after check point but all friendly, with the narco trade around this part of the road I guess they have to do this sort of stuff.

Off towards the Darian Gap

Every little town we came across was having its own celebration of something.

Everywhere we went we were met with friendly faces and smiles

We were welcomed at the hotel by Andres who got us all a beer which was very needed as it was still pretty hot. While were sitting there Alan a local from Panama came over and was looking at the bikes taking a few photos. He had come down here to ride around on the dirt roads, he was showing us pictures of his snorkeling expeditions down here telling us all about the roads and how much fun they are and that you can cross from the Pacific coast to the Caribbean coast in just over and hour. Apparently kidnapping used to be a bit of it around down here but the Andreas told us there is not of that any more as there is no money in it, all the money is in the narco business these days.

Alan from Panama City was down here riding around on his brand new Ktm and all his gear he was telling us stories and showing us pictures of all the areas around here which left us all a little disappointed that we didn't allow more time to come and explore this part of the world. The Darian gap looks beautiful from what we saw if you ever come down here do yourself a favour and allow a few days to explore down around here, tourism isn't huge as you can imagine but that's the appeal of it and really we felt nothing but totally safe the whole time we were in that neck of the woods. Here's Alan sharing some of his stories with David, Johnny and myself over a drink.

The hotel was really nice, the picture this area gets painted in might of and still might be somewhat dangerous but everyone we talked to in our trip down today was more than friendly and helpful even the military guys. I personally love to come back here and explore this region more, of course we only got half way down to the end of the road it may of course get more iffy but from the areas I saw do your self a favour and leave a few days to come explore this part of the world you wont regret it.

It is very dangerous around here can you imagine diving into this pool with only a foot of water in it.

I think it was about 30 bucks a night for the hotel down here pretty good value really.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 04:36 PM
Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #1806
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Today we jumped on the bikes at 6:30 in the morning and headed for Carti and the Stahlratte. Alan had come over to say his goodbyes, he had been staying in another hotel up the road. The ride was nice, no traffic and relaxing much nicer than if we had stayed and ridden from Panama. Eventually we got to the turn off and the road wound itself up and down the valleys, if this anything like the Darian Gap to Colombia you can see why it isn't crossed at all, it is steep red clay mud and if this road wasn't here and built by the Kuna people you would never be getting out to Carti as well. We were enjoying the ride and when we came up on the Kuna checkpoint where they hot you up for entry fee into their lands we caught up with everyone else who was traveling on the boat. We had a quick chat and kept going we still had a little while to go and there would be a lot of time for chatting in a few hours when we got on the boat. David had gone ahead and when I came around one of the bends in the road he was up an embankment taking a picture so pulled over to join him. He had ridden up the side of the bank it was fairly steep nothing to bad but thought two up I might take the soft option and park and walk up. Well that decision turned out to be the wrong one as no sooner had I put my front wheel off the road into the gravel down we went, it was no big deal we were doing a half a kilometer and hour but the bad news was Ev had the camera in her hand and it took a knock so the lens is now playing up. We picked the bike up and put the pannier that had fallen off back on and walked up to take the photo.

Johnny Alabama

David from Colorado

Back on the road again for the last little ride down to the beach where we were to load the bikes and met up with everyone there. Johnny who had ridden from Alabama and had a classic accent has been traveling for 9 months throughout Central America he is definitely on the slow boat to China. Scott and Susan from Oregon with their dog Bentley were a really nice couple and Geoffrey an Indonesian guy who has been riding around since 2006 with a few year break to write a book, he does the presentations everywhere riding from pace to place to out on shows for a few bucks, he has been to some amazing places in his travels and for an Indonesian to be traveling let along for so long is a testament to his determination, if you Google “Ride for Peace” you will find him, it really is good story, it's to and I'm not a nicer guy I could ride around doing something constructive other than looking at hot chicks but meh ill leave all the papers TV and presentations and all the running around for publicity to him I've got a hot butts to check out.

When we arrived at he port David the American from Colorado was asking talking to Ludwig the Captain of the Strahlratte saying how he would love to volunteer on the boat, I was listening as Ludwig was saying no there is a big waiting list and many people that want to volunteer on the boat. I could resist it and as Ev had taken her jacket off and was standing there in a little top I said Ewa wants a job on the boat are there any positions available for her, Ludwig immediately said she is hired, it really did start the cruise off on the right foot we all had a laugh. The boarding of the boat went without any hitches the 5 bikes went on board easy. While they were loading the bikes Ludwig was being being shouted at by one of the Kuna helpers and it was translated to me that he was shouting you only pay me breakfast for all this work I need more and Ludwig shouted back come up here and suck me, it wasn't done with any malice and everyone was laughing on the dock that was listening and who could understand.

The road over through to the boat was just beautiful but certainly reminded me alot of back home any from my neck of the woods will certainly see the familiarity, the bushland is prbably denser here but only cause we have cleared alot of our land for cattle and crops.

Arriving at the port where we are to load the bikes onto the Strahlratte

Just move a little to the left honey that will do, now why she is knocked out let me go check out some of the other stuff around here.

I suppose I could help hey but who am I to deny him the memory of the Nikey sweatshops back in Insonesia as a kid.

Everything off the bikes to go in the dingy to load onto the Strahlratte.

I just need a bigger stick to keep them off me omg that was stick I said you nasty people. Oh well who am I to deny these little pretties there time with me anyway. They liked motorbikes and I liked ummmmm motorbikes too.

Yep that is the Kuna flag

Finally my bike was on board and into the dingy and onto the boat and were on our way out to the San Blas islands.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 06:34 PM
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #1807
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

Ride for Peace meets Ride for Smiles, to bad I'm not a nicer guy maybe I could do something constructive instead of just motorcycling around the world having fun and perving on all the chicks meh next trip this ones to much fun.

Some people stand in line waiting for the bus to go to work some of us wait in line to go to the boat and the San Blas Islands, I know you have all said it or thought it before "PRICK" hehehehehe catch me if you can.

The first night was spent around the San Blas island swimming and snorkeling it really is beautiful around here as you can see by the photos. We are due to spend tomorrow and then leave the following morning over to Cartagena which will take approximately 26 hours. Julian had come across one the Independence last week and had to content with 7 metre swells which according to Ludwig is as big as it gets so being a ocean lover I know the likely hood of us getting the same was pretty remote. The crew and passengers on the Strahlratte that we will be traveling with all seemed to be really nice, us 7 bikers and 12 backpackers from all over the world Switzerland, Israel, Netherlands, Germany to name just a few.

We headed over to one of the islands which obviously Ludwig has a connection with with the local Kuna people so we had our own tropical piece of paradise to eat drink and carry on. We partied to well into the night which was great then we boat load by boat load we all piukled back into the Dingy and headed back to the boat where the party continued to well into the morning. The good news about that is we still have asll day to recover and relax heading out into the open ocean on a hangover is never a good combination and although I've never been sea sick there's always a first

When traveling around the world there is always ways of cutting the costs.

Ludwig is happy, Ewa is happy and Im richer for the experience

The Strahlratte's competition the Independence.

Time to explore the small island, yep the scenery is nice around here.

The same view from another angle and it looks just as nice from here.

Better go explore and see if there is any wild beasts that could be a threat to everyone, yep this looks like a real threat my try hit it on the head subdue and make the place safe for everyone. You got to look after everyone in the group you know.

Below deck on the Strahlratte

First lunch aboard the Stahlratte

Ludwig the kitchen bitch oh I mean the captain better be careful what I say.

A few of the other yachts hanging around the islands.

To old farts that have seen better days, oh hang on, maybe not

Dinner time with both the Stahlratte and the Independence in the background.

The crew we travelled with

Ludwig jamming it out with a few tunes

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:08 PM
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #1808
CAYMALAM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Nice report. 👍👍👍

KTM 690 Enduro R '12
CAYMALAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #1809
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

A beautiful day of snorkeling and relaxing on the beach with good food and company, it really is beautiful around here and architecture of some of the buildings around here is superb.

Man if I was a shark Id be screaming up to hit that nice looking bit of flesh, you got to admit from a sharks point of view it does look rather tasty

There she blows me hearty's, break out the harpoon lads I've been spotting a great white beauty.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 10:59 PM
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #1810
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The 26 hour cruise from San Blas from Panama to Cartagena went pretty smoothly we had small swell up to 2 metres nothing that you would call heavy out in the open ocean, I didn't get sick but a few people did everyone just lying around feeling worse for wear there wasn't to much partying going on that's for sure. I took the seasick tablets just in case I don't know why I have never been sick and those things really do knock the shit out of you and make you drowsy I don't know maybe that's how they work.

A few friendly locals joining in for the ride.

We arrived in Cartagena around 9ish and as soon as we dropped anchor the unloading process began. We all piled off the boat and headed to immigration which took about an hour all up, it was only a few dollar taxi ride away. The immigration building is actually a really nice building unfortunately you weren't allowed to just walk freely all around cause it did look like a building you could look at in more detail. After immigration us bikers headed back to the boat to sort out the unloading, it all went pretty smoothly these guys have done it hundreds of times now so you don't have to do anything but jump on the barge when they lower the bike onto and sit and keep it from falling in the water.

With the bikes unloaded and on land we all rode straight over to customs and met with the Stahlrattes fixer. He was a little late but only had us twiddling our thumbs for a few minutes before he turned up with all our passports and paperwork. The went in and sorted all of it out came and check out the numbers on the bike and that was pretty much it, there was only one hiccup they had got the numbers wrong on mine and Susan's bike so they had to be redone which took another 15 minutes but no dramas we are all just sitting in a air conditions office waiting.

David Susan and Scott took off there own way when they were finished but me and Indonesian Jeffrey had to go back to the boat to get our panniers which we did. We pulled up and with one whistle the boys jumped in the dingy and brought them ashore. With the panniers on the bike we rode the few k's through town looking for the hostel where we had booked which was a bit of fun in itself stopping asking person after person but really all nice and welcoming fun. So we are now in Colombia im on my 6th continent with only Antarctica to go, whether I go down there I'll wait and see but it would be a nice milestone to say I've have travelled on all seven continents on my adventure.

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 12:28 AM
Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #1811
rideforsmiles OP
Sheldon

The last few days have been spent lovingly strolling hand in hand with my beautiful sweetheart around the streets of Catagena here in Colombia. The time we have had here together has been such a wonderous experience it almost makes me feel like taking her behind a secluded building in the old town and giving her what for, but being the gentleman I am I refrain from such things and continue on with our serendipitous meanderings. See I am trying to be a nice guy, I only had one slip into the gutter then, oh well I can still see the stars from down here so it isn't all bad.

Seriously though Cartagena old town is as beautiful as any I have seen in all my travels it really is amazing, if your ever trying to win over a chick bring her here and your a shoe in, if not there is plenty of other pretty's on the menu and you can dump the other one in this hostel we are staying at for 20 bucks a night. There seems to be a fair amount of hippi riff raff here to keep her amused and regail her with stories of budget travel and selling jewelry on the side of the road to make ends meet till your flight home.

The good news for me we have had a kitchen here so I've been able to put Ewa to work and make me up some decent food for once, it's actually the first time either of us has cooked since I cooked in Baja I think so that is going back in awhile, if you had tasted some of the rubbish Ewa tried to dish up to me in the past you would realize why I haven't been so keen, cooking isn't her strongest point but I have to give credit where credit is due last night her spag bol was pretty damn nice, how hard can it be to keep me happy hey, all she has to do is rub her boobs in my face, feed me spag bol or a chicken schnitzel and I'm one happy camper.

Three happy campers

rideforsmiles screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 10:30 PM
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #1812
smacka
Tripper head

Oddometer: 42
Laugh

"I suppose I could help hey but who am I to deny him the memory of the Nikey sweatshops back in Insonesia as a kid."

Love it! Keep up the great work thanks Sheldon.
smacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #1813
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Welcome to Colombia!

If you need anything just give me a PM shout. I'm in Bogotá.

Salvador Frieri
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #1814
DanLeb
n00b

Oddometer: 3
"we all have these places in our life, they are sometimes right in front of us, whether it is family friends or a place somewhere else its there, sometimes you just have to slow down a little to see it.[/QUOTE]

Sheldon, after following you from post #1, I don't think you've written a better, more appropriate string of words. We are all blessed, and the majority of us (self included) just don't see it.

Thanks for the reflection - Dan
DanLeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #1815
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforsmiles View Post

No matter how long i stare at that photo, i cannot make the towel fall off.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote