Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #16
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Seems really cool so far in the limited time I've played with it. Are there any plans for an app (Android preferably)? One of the things missing in the market is a trip planner->App where you can figure your route (or track preferably)at home with a beer in hand, and it just shows up when you open the app. Gotta have offline maps though!

Oh, every time I try to import a track it crashes the browser. Routes are fine. I assume its anything over XXXX points. Honestly, for many of us on this site, that might be a deal breaker.
1971 Lambretta DL

levain screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 05:17 PM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #17
melitele OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Mobile version

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Are there any plans for an app (Android preferably)? One of the things missing in the market is a trip planner->App where you can figure your route (or track preferably)at home with a beer in hand, and it just shows up when you open the app. Gotta have offline maps though!
We are working toward exactly that.

Furkot has a limited mobile version now that works on phones including Android: when you open Furkot in a browser on the phone it'll show you your trips, each with list of stops, times and addresses. It'll remember those trips on the phone so you can see them even where there is no cell coverage. There is no map but if you have a GPS app on your phone, Furkot will try to switch to it when you click navigate button that is displayed with each stop.

The current mobile version of Furkot is meant to be a companion to the desktop: it assumes you do your planning on the computer. We are working on a new mobile version and app that will have maps - including offline - and will allow you to modify your trip on the phone.
melitele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
melitele OP
Adventurer

Import problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Oh, every time I try to import a track it crashes the browser. Routes are fine. I assume its anything over XXXX points. Honestly, for many of us on this site, that might be a deal breaker.
Sorry about that. There is a 1MB limit that I'm working to increase to 8MB by tomorrow. Could it be that?
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitele View Post
Sorry about that. There is a 1MB limit that I'm working to increase to 8MB by tomorrow. Could it be that?
Maybe? I'm not smart enough to know anything about MB's
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #20
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 549
Wanted to try it, but doesnt seem to work with my browser (Safari 5.0.4).... Maybe I will try it on my PC with Windows XP when I am at work.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
melitele OP
Adventurer

Browser version

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Wanted to try it, but doesnt seem to work with my browser (Safari 5.0.4).... Maybe I will try it on my PC with Windows XP when I am at work.
Any chance you can upgrade your browser? Furkot works with newer versions of Safari. If you go to this website: http://whatbrowser.org/ it'll tell you of there is a newer version of your browser available for your computer. You may want to check that out not just because of Furkot - outdated browsers are slower and they can have bugs that make them unsafe to use. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #22
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitele View Post
Any chance you can upgrade your browser? Furkot works with newer versions of Safari. If you go to this website: http://whatbrowser.org/ it'll tell you of there is a newer version of your browser available for your computer. You may want to check that out not just because of Furkot - outdated browsers are slower and they can have bugs that make them unsafe to use. Just a suggestion.
Thanks, Natalia

Didn't realize the browser was out of date! I am on my daughter's computer and she's in Nepal so I don't want to update without her permission... I will try it on my PC (assuming it works with Windows XP?!) until she returns in May and maybe then update the Safari.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #23
melitele OP
Adventurer

Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
I will try it on my PC (assuming it works with Windows XP?!)
Furkot won't work with Internet Explorer 8 - the browser that comes with Windows XP - and it should tell you that when you open it.

You can use a different browser: Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. http://whatbrowser.org/ can tell you what browsers are available and help you download and install one.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #24
Animaltrax
~ 5150 ~

Oddometer: 15
Thumbs up

I've been looking for a site just like this, and I've tried most of them, that will plan gas stops, start/end days. My favorite is the gas stop planning (and breweryDB)

I didn't spend much time, yet, on the site but couple of things that I would find helpful:

Button descriptions (always found it tedious to hover a button to find out its function). I like see, click and go.

For gas stop planning, a drag circle (like sleep planning) that show gas stations (and restaurants, poi, etc) within the circle . The circle would show a radius distance (from the gas waypoint); especially since the gas waypoint isn't going to fall on a gas station.

Additional (selectable) gas database information (like GasBuddy) to select different gas types like diesel, premium, no ethanol (puregas). And sortable by price, distance, etc. (I know alot of these are database feeds and may not be available but just throwing it out there :)

In addition to day start/end, add a 'distance to travel' waypoint calculation. You could plan a (your) comfortable day distance e.g. 400 mi day. Then you could jump to the sleep tab, drag your circle to find a place to stay.

I love the weather feature. Animated radar maps for rain etc would be cool. Road/highway construction, closure, etc conditions (selectable as well) along the route would be cool too. Traffic might be asking too much but what the heck.. lol.

Screen updates for changes (trip values, sleep/eat changes) take a while to show. An indicator (hourglass or something) to let me know to be patient maybe?

More print options i.e. different styles more suited for tank bags/smaller formats ex. a booklet style, etc; map segments (selectable by distance or time); list of places (selectable) around a waypoint/gas stop (within the selected radius). Mostly selectable things in addition the "turn by directions".

Nice work. Something I would definitely subscribe/pay for.

Animaltrax screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 08:22 PM Reason: added some stuff
Animaltrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
melitele OP
Adventurer

Thank you, Animaltrax for trying Furkot out and writing up all those excellent ideas. And they are all very doable, incremental changes. Some of them will of course require our partners who provide us data to agree (road conditions and weather radar maps being prime examples), so they may take longer but I am adding all of them to my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaltrax View Post
I've been looking for a site just like this,
Nice work. Something I would definitely subscribe/pay for.
It's nice to hear when someone finds Furkot useful enough to consider paying for it. Fortunately you don't have to. Furkot is free to use and we plan to keep it that way. We describe in detail how we support Furkot here.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #26
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
It's pretty fun to play around with. A couple things that would make this ideal for me:
1. Add a topo and satellite image overlay. I pick a lot of my short trips based on how the area looks to ride in, what the road is, etc.

2. Include a roll-chart printout option (essentially turn by turn directions with landmarks fitted to a 6" wide piece of paper)

3. You have the avoid highway routes (like Google Maps), and some of the Garmins have a curvy roads option. Maybe you could include a check box to include unpaved roads or not and then have a slider for riding preference (like interstate----0----dirt roads)?

The auto-organizing of waypoints is really nice, but is there a way to disable it and automatically add points on the end?

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.

riverflow screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 11:55 PM
riverflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #27
melitele OP
Adventurer

Hi riverflow, thank you kind words and for suggestions. Topo and satelite are already in the works. I'd like to add dirt roads - the slider is a really cool idea - if I can find a suitable source of this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
2. Include a roll-chart printout option (essentially turn by turn directions with landmarks fitted to a 6" wide piece of paper)
I just learned what a roll-chart is . I'll gladly add support for it. In the meantime, Furkot printout format respects page size and margins - may be you can change it in your printer settings. BTW: turn-by-turn directions are only present in a printout when you use Print trip button (icon of black printer on white above the map); it is not available via File > Print menu option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
The auto-organizing of waypoints is really nice, but is there a way to disable it and automatically add points on the end?
At the moment there is no way to disable it. Sorry. Are you planning a round trip? In that case adding stops may reflect your order better if you temporarily changed it to one way (in the TRIP drawer switch from a circle with arrow to a straight arrow). And if you are planning a one-way trip Furkot won't add stops past the last one if it is set to "keep this stop as trip end" (the little icon with STOP sign is green when you select the last stop in PLAN drawer).
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #28
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,065
This looks very, very cool. I usually use Google Maps/Satellite Images to find dirt roads, and then I just plot waypoints and plug them into my GPS. If I can make a route on Furkot, and export it as a GPX to my Garmin, it will be amazing for trip planning.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #29
melitele OP
Adventurer

Plan to GPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
This looks very, very cool.
Thank you.

Quote:
I usually use Google Maps/Satellite Images to find dirt roads, and then I just plot waypoints and plug them into my GPS.
As this has been suggested by a few people, I am pleased to announce that as of today Furkot can display satellite and topographic maps in addition to the standard road map (look for buttons that look like earth and compass above the map).

Quote:
If I can make a route on Furkot, and export it as a GPX to my Garmin, it will be amazing for trip planning.
You can export your route to a GPX file and upload it to Garmin. The Export button is in the Trip drawer. We strive to support as many types of GPS devices as we can - if for some reason the exported GPX file does not work with your Garmin, please let me know and I'll do my best to help.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #30
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
For motorcycles, it seems to not make a difference on the planning for cars, at least here in the Sacramento and Sierra mountains.

I like the slider idea, with twisty's and unpaved roads as an option at one end and highway cruising on the other.

Suggestions: Per segment adjustment of that slider. i.e. I might want all twists in one section, fine with highway roads in another.

"road reviews": let users add notes about sections of roads between their waypoints like: No shoulder for bikes. Amazing twisties! Well patrolled. Bad potholes. Maybe some predefined radio buttons or drop downs to make it easy, with a box for more comments.
That in turn could drive selections like "4 and 5 star roads only" or a colored overlay for roads green to red.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote