User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #2146
kyudogator
no really, we're not lost

Oddometer: 1
Going from Russian Iron to Made in America

6 years ago I decided to succumb to severe mental illness and get a hack.
Having never driven one I knew from+ years of motorcycles that I was more than likely to beat the crap out of at least the first one. I got a $3000 1996 ural italia, With my faithful canine companion, Gus, I set out to terrorize the roads and backways of N Fl. We ran dirt roads, smashed the chair fender into walls, posts and small trees, blew the cylinder head across a 4 lane highway ( it kept running and got us 500' to a safe pullout), I am in agreement with all uralists in that it is a RPOC. it'slack of power was only exceeded in its inability to stop.
So after about a year of this silliness, I traded it in on a 2003 Retro ( told you, sever mental illness) with ~15000km on it. It now has 49000. in the last 5 years Gus and I have ridden it to NC, done the "tale of the dragon several times", suffered the main street crawl at bike week. In the last 5 years I have had the alternator go bad and damage a timing gear. The alternator I got rebuilt at a local alternator shop for $40, the timing gear had to be replaced at the dealer $200 P&L, How much would the bill be to replace the timing gear/chain/etc in your ride? Owning a Ural means you will have an intimate relationship with routine maintenance, If you're the type who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes then a Ural is definitely not the bike for you, but then neither is an airhead, Norton, or Enfield

Recently I took delivery of the all american rig I have been working on, Victory Classic Cruiser for the tug and Clark Stanley Motorworks chair. The first thing I realized was just how well the Russians set up the rig.
1 No head shake
2 very slight pull right on acceleration, none at speed
3 brakes applied properly, no pull left even on panic stops

Eventually I will have the Vic rig set up the same, But I have the advantage of the Russian standard as to what is acceptable handling.

Bottom line is
If you can't or won't take the time to do 90% of the work on your bike no Ural for you.

however, If you want to learn how to drive a hack and not be worrying if its weird or just normal sidecar weirdness, or even if you really want a hack. Get a post 2000 Ural before investing $30k on a full rig

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kyudogator/13194209503/
kyudogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #2147
BWeber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Ural is a great rig to try out a sidecar for a season or so without breaking the bank. That's what I did for the last 7 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #2148
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyudogator View Post
6 years ago I decided to succumb to severe mental illness and get a hack.
Having never driven one I knew from+ years of motorcycles that I was more than likely to beat the crap out of at least the first one. I got a $3000 1996 ural italia, With my faithful canine companion, Gus, I set out to terrorize the roads and backways of N Fl. We ran dirt roads, smashed the chair fender into walls, posts and small trees, blew the cylinder head across a 4 lane highway ( it kept running and got us 500' to a safe pullout), I am in agreement with all uralists in that it is a RPOC. it'slack of power was only exceeded in its inability to stop.
So after about a year of this silliness, I traded it in on a 2003 Retro ( told you, sever mental illness) with ~15000km on it. It now has 49000. in the last 5 years Gus and I have ridden it to NC, done the "tale of the dragon several times", suffered the main street crawl at bike week. In the last 5 years I have had the alternator go bad and damage a timing gear. The alternator I got rebuilt at a local alternator shop for $40, the timing gear had to be replaced at the dealer $200 P&L, How much would the bill be to replace the timing gear/chain/etc in your ride? Owning a Ural means you will have an intimate relationship with routine maintenance, If you're the type who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes then a Ural is definitely not the bike for you, but then neither is an airhead, Norton, or Enfield

Recently I took delivery of the all american rig I have been working on, Victory Classic Cruiser for the tug and Clark Stanley Motorworks chair. The first thing I realized was just how well the Russians set up the rig.
1 No head shake
2 very slight pull right on acceleration, none at speed
3 brakes applied properly, no pull left even on panic stops

Eventually I will have the Vic rig set up the same, But I have the advantage of the Russian standard as to what is acceptable handling.

Bottom line is
If you can't or won't take the time to do 90% of the work on your bike no Ural for you.

however, If you want to learn how to drive a hack and not be worrying if its weird or just normal sidecar weirdness, or even if you really want a hack. Get a post 2000 Ural before investing $30k on a full rig

img_8795 by KyudoGator, on Flickr
It took 5 1/2 years for you to make your first post.

Seriously, this could be the best first post ever. Well stated. A Ural is a labor of love. You have to be comfortable with maintenance.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:09 AM   #2149
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
There's just gotta be a joke in there somewhere about, the only thing slower than a ural is the owner.
We might be slow but we were passing all the GS owners in the sand during our ride from Bartow to Ochopee. Then they would pass us on the pavement and then we would pass them in the Florida sand again.

Waiting for the GS boys to catch up.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #2150
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
We might be slow but we were passing all the GS owners in the sand during our ride from Bartow to Ochopee. Then they would pass us on the pavement and then we would pass them in the Florida sand again.

It's hard to drag a bm' ground anchor through sand ... it takes time

Quote:
Waiting for the GS boys to catch up.

How long did you have to wait ... until their Starbucks were cool enough to drink ?

Any more pic's of that Retro on the far left of pic' ?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #2151
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Any more pic's of that Retro on the far left of pic' ?
Nope, but anyone that says that the Ural Retro won't go off pavement in the FL sand is full of it.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #2152
SEMPERFISILVER
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Nope, but anyone that says that the Ural Retro won't go off pavement in the FL sand is full of it.
Hey, that's my Retro! Here's another shot of it! hey Barnone - I got the sidecar wheel to stay down for this section!! The Retro ran like a champ, kept up with Gear-Ups, Patrols and the DS's. Semper Fi! Doug
Attached Images

SEMPERFISILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #2153
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, that SEMPERFISILVER was always showing off on his Retro flying the car. As first I though he was muy loco but he handled it just fine.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #2154
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Yep, that SEMPERFISILVER was always showing off on his Retro flying the car. As first I though he was muy loco but he handled it just fine.

he IS muy loco
and a good time was had by all!
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #2155
SAM7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Sure, Gearups and Patrols have considerabily more off-road potential then Retros but calling Retros a "no off-roader" doesn't make sense at all... Russians used M72's in WW2 and current Retro M70's are heavily based on M72's. Russians wouldn't have used them in the war if they had no off-roading potential. Secondly, look at the BMW R75 and M70, they bears a striking resemblance... If I ever buy an Ural, it would definately be the Retro. I'm not a big fan of Gear Up's and Patrol's "Scrambler-ish" looks and besides I've absolutely ZERO trails and dirt/gravel roads in my area!!!
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #2156
Mash3d
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
JUST saw this thread. Back in '07 I did my second Alaska ride w/ a buddy on his new Ural, me on my '04 KLR650. (HIS first, and mine, were in '04 on Suzuki Bandit 1200S, his an '02 and mine an '04 - GREAT ride!)

Almost EVERY time we got a rain-shower, or he ran thru a puddle, the Ural quit running. We spent so much time beside the road w/ Joe taking his carbs apart, that I suggested he'd be better off buying a used Ford half-ton. That way he'd get BETTER gas mileage, and he'd have heat and tunes!

He waited several weeks in 100 Mile House, BC for carbs under warranty, then finally got back to Arkansas. His NEXT Ural adventure involved TRYING to ride the T.A.T., but two days west of home his Ural caught on fire and burned to the ground!

I, PERSONALLY, would never have one....
I know this is an ancient and dead thread but just in case anyone else runs into the problem of a Ural Sputtering in the rain.
I don't think the carbs were the problem. The problem comes from water getting into to the Air filter and fouling up the plugs. I used to have the same problem.
This problem happens a lot with the flat top style air filter case. Usually the riders legs help protect the air filter when riding. It's when your off the bike and rain gets into the air filter case and pools at the bottom of the case.
Then you start the bike up, water gets sucked into the chamber and them you have fouled plugs.
Two solutions,
1. cover the air filter when not riding the bike and it's sitting in the rain.
Looks weird but a plastic shower cap works, or a piece of cardboard.
2. Drill holes in the bottom of the air filter to let the water out.

Once I started covering the air filter when not riding in the rain the sputtering problem stopped.

I won't ask how he manged to get his ural to set on fire.
I've been trying to set mine on fire for years with no luck :)
Mash3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #2157
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Start camp fire. Roll Ural onto fire.

But, you can just replace a few melted bits and it will be running again shortly.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #2158
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
"I won't ask how he manged to get his ural to set on fire.
I've been trying to set mine on fire for years with no luck :)"

Insurance adjuster might have some questions too.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #2159
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
I don't know whats wrong with me..... but I just bought my 2nd Ural

Scored a pretty decent deal on a 2011 Gear Up to replace my 1997 Sportsman. Sportsman runs fine but figured I'd enjoy some of the modern features (such as being able to run a heated jacket/gloves!) Finding parts to fix the Sportsman was a bit tough on my patience as even minor parts most Ural dealerships no longer carry 650cc parts so always had to order thru Europe/Russia.

Thus the Sportsman will be up on the for sale block in due time.

She's been a great steed and gets much attention yet excited about "upgrading" to a modern Ural to actually see the refinements first hand.. I've actually never checked out a newer Ural in person before.
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #2160
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:

Taught him everything he knows about flyin'

www.paintshakerracing.com
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote