Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #256
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Guy View Post
I just bought one of the Explorer Adventure helmets last night.

Pearl White, size small.

What is odd for me is I usually wear size medium helmets. My size is the no-man's land between small and medium usually (22-22.125" is my measurement).

However, wearing the helmet last night at home I'm thinking I may need to check out an extra-small. Dunno, the helmet seemed to become loose after 15 minutes of walking around my house like a stormtrooper. But I do not have any hot/tight spots. *shrug*

I may try another small when I'm at Cycle Gear this afternoon but what sucks is what I bought was the last small in pearl white. Will try another color to see about fitment with size small.

The reason I'm bringing this up is reading through this entire thread, it seems everyone had to go UP in size. I'm going the other way. Not sure if they have changed things with the helmet but FYI.

BTW, I consider myself an intermediate oval.

Bought mine for $99.
I had the same issue. See my post #82
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #257
407Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Yeah, think the XS might be better.

They didn't have one in pearl white but should have it for me early this week.

I wore a matte black one for a few minutes in the store and it felt only slightly tighter than the small I currently have.

Need to wear it for at least 15-20 minutes to know if it will "loosen up" like the small felt like it did for me last week.
407Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #258
407Guy
Adventurer

Also found this blog on the helmet regarding the sizing.

Seems this reviewer had the challenge I'm having.

http://7plus8.blogspot.com/2013/05/b...ew-return.html

I'm hopeful the XS will be the ticket. I have to admit, I really like the look of the helmet in pearl white especially for $99. I really want it to "work" for me.

407Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #259
407Guy
Adventurer

Well I have the XS and it seems to fit better. I guess I may also be used to the feel of my KBC VR full face helmet which is a "race fit" in that it's pretty snug with the liner even after 1.5 years of use. My KBC is a size medium.

The Bilt will probably be my commuter helmet in the summer here in central Florida. I will say the air flow is there, that's for sure. Some wind noise but I've only ridden with it up to about 50 mph and for only a few minutes. I think if I was going for a longer ride I'd be using earplugs. My commute to/from work is about 15 minutes.

I also have the dark smoke shield which looks dark but wearing it, it's not super dark. I even had to use the drop down visor with the dark smoke shield since the sun was right in front of me during one of my recent rides with the helmet. Nice "go to" option for whenever this happens.

Overall I can't really complain since it was $99 and I really like the pearl white color. Kudos to Bilt on this helmet that is overall very good, but not necessarily great to me.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #260
bradp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
They are currently down to 69.99, the guy at cycle gear said this will probably go through march.
bradp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #261
407Guy
Adventurer

Dang... $70...
Old 03-18-2014, 05:16 AM   #262
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,636
Just bought the Explorer and gave it a test this morning (and last night). I like it. It was 21F this morning and the helmet is not as warm as my HJC but it doesn't leak as much air around the shield either so I'm guessing the cold is coming from below the chin guard. No biggie, I don't plan to use this in the winter much. I like the face shield having full adjustability, it seals good and the only visual distortion I noticed was down low when looking at the instrument panel. I also noticed some glare from the bottom of the shield and I'll try black tape if it really bothers me. The tinted visor could be darker but its just like the one on my HJC so not a big deal. I'll use sunglasses in morning and evening when the sun is really in my eyes. Didn't seem any noisier than my other helmets but I wear earplugs. You can feel the wind catch the visor but it's not bad and shouldn't be an issue, maybe in high winds. I should have a chance to check that out over the next few days.

I wear a large in a HJC and the XL fit me perfect in the Bilt.

Update!!!
Be very careful if you use loctite to secure the visor screws. Who knew it ate away plastic??? The plastic strip that's held on with 3 tiny screws was in pieces this morning and one of the rear screws is fucked too. The screws are tiny and it's nearly impossible not to get some locktite on the plastic. Hopefully I'll have a new visor coming in the mail soon.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 03-19-2014 at 05:19 AM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #263
407Guy
Adventurer

Ouch on the plastic melting....

I'm still amazed on how the sizing is all over the board.

My XS still seems a tad big for me. I usually wear a Medium or sometimes a Small but never XS.

So strange.

Anyway, glad you like it too. Can't beat it for the cost.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #264
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Guy View Post
Ouch on the plastic melting....

I'm still amazed on how the sizing is all over the board.

My XS still seems a tad big for me. I usually wear a Medium or sometimes a Small but never XS.

So strange.

Anyway, glad you like it too. Can't beat it for the cost.

Just got off the phone with Cycle Gear and they can not replace the beak/visor that fell apart. I mentioned having used locktite and the resulting damage and they said that voids the warranty. The store I bought it from did offer to replace the entire helmet but only out of good will. Fuck. The store is 2 hours away. I'll see if I can fix it somehow. Not happy at all with customer service there.

Tom Waits
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #265
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Just got off the phone with Cycle Gear and they can not replace the beak/visor that fell apart. I mentioned having used locktite and the resulting damage and they said that voids the warranty. The store I bought it from did offer to replace the entire helmet but only out of good will. Fuck. The store is 2 hours away. I'll see if I can fix it somehow. Not happy at all with customer service there.

Wait- let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're not happy with their customer service because they're offering to replace your ENTIRE helmet because you screwed up the peak using locktite?!? Wow. WOW!
Seems like 4hrs round trip is a small price to pay for your screw up. Use your mc, it'll be cheaper on gas.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #266
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,460
Cycle Gear has provided me with AMAZING customer service.Most of there BILT products are crap and they seem to know it so they have replaced or refunded my money every time !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #267
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquenride View Post
Wait- let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You're not happy with their customer service because they're offering to replace your ENTIRE helmet because you screwed up the peak using locktite?!? Wow. WOW!
Seems like 4hrs round trip is a small price to pay for your screw up. Use your mc, it'll be cheaper on gas.
The guy at the store was nice offering to replace the helmet. I'm not pissed about that. I'd just like to be able to order the replacement part instead. Inconvenient to go back to the store since it's so far away. I'll fix it with epoxy. Seems like a vulnerable part like that should be available for purchase is all.

DO NOT USE LOCKTITE!. Tiny screws and almost impossible not to get some on the plastic.

Really more pissed at myself than anything. Had no clue locktite ate plastic.

Tom Waits
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #268
SnoSlyder
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Explorer by Bilt

I am very happy with my Explorers. I bought one back in Sept when I got my new KLR, and then bought another one just last week so that my wife has one when she wants to brave riding with me. They are well ventilated, have the super sweet retractable sunvisor, and are fairly stylish to boot. I have one in Matte Black and one in reflective Silver (my new one) and I will say that the new silver one is cooler than the matte black one...for obvious reasons. The padding does not accomodate ear buds very well because every time I put my helmet on while trying to wear ear buds, the inner padding want to pull the buds outta my head. But hey...I should be paying more attention to the road and my surroundings than to say Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast, right? Nah

Overall, two really nice helmets for an extremely nice price. Ride On!
SnoSlyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #269
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

I hate the fact that there's no padding where the ears go on these helmets and I wish they had made it a straight shot from front to back in this area. Anyone got any suggestions on ways to add padding to it? I tried adding foam to it today and it didn't really work. Got scrunched up a bit and felt odd. However, my Arai helmet has padding where the ears are and it's SOOOO comfortable. I really should just ditch this helmet and be done with it.

Baroquenride screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 05:21 PM
Baroquenride is offline   Reply With Quote