Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #22426
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Your bike is better than a stock 2014. The only difference is the different dashboard, electronic cruise control, and electronic suspension. Dashboard is a moot point, it's aesthetic unless is plugs into the electric widgets. You already have cruise control. Electronic adjustable suspension isn't better than a well sorted aftermarket suspension if it gives you another component to fail in the middle of nowhere and is still undersprung.

Put down the parts catalog and go riding.

Honestly I looked at the new 2014s and they had all the shiny gadgets that I was drooling over when the 1190 came out and all the features I wish my 2012 had. Then I seriously looked at the differences between me well farkled 2012 and then new 2014 and the only noteworthy difference was electronic cruise control and like that I was over it.

Save yourself a few thousands bucks and just make a new tool tube or get one of those stupid gremlin bells.
+1k!

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #22427
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I encountered a weird downshifting issue on my s10 today. I went out for a long ride and about 120 miles in, the bike had trouble shifting from 2nd to 1st. No trouble going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, etc. Only from 2nd to 1st. Riding in 2nd, I would pull the clutch lever all the way, press down on the shifter, and the lever would go down, but the transmission would not shift into 1st. I tried re-engaging the clutch, even giving it some gas, and then try downshifting again, but nothing.

Weird thing is that the problem was inconsistent. One stop light it wouldn't work. 2 minutes later at the next light everything shifts fine. 4 minutes later at the next light again no downshift.

For reference, I only have 1650 miles on my s10, of which I put on the last 700 miles. I didn't abuse the bike at all and mileage is really low for transmission failure.

From a quick search online I saw comments on oil and the shift pivot bolt. Modern oil is modern oil is modern oil, but who knows what the PO put in so I changed that out with a Bosch 3300 filter and Rotella T6. I would prefer an oem filter, but it's Sunday so I'm stuck with whatever is available from the local auto supply store. I haven't taken the s10 off-road yet so the shift pivot bolt was clean, but I wiped it off and relubed anyway.

Took the bike out for a 15 minute shakedown and the problem seems to be resolved and shifting is a bit smoother. If it comes up again, I'm taking it to the dealer and using the extended warranty.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #22428
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
I encountered a weird downshifting issue on my s10 today. I went out for a long ride and about 120 miles in, the bike had trouble shifting from 2nd to 1st. No trouble going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, etc. Only from 2nd to 1st. Riding in 2nd, I would pull the clutch lever all the way, press down on the shifter, and the lever would go down, but the transmission would not shift into 1st. I tried re-engaging the clutch, even giving it some gas, and then try downshifting again, but nothing.

Weird thing is that the problem was inconsistent. One stop light it wouldn't work. 2 minutes later at the next light everything shifts fine. 4 minutes later at the next light again no downshift.

For reference, I only have 1650 miles on my s10, of which I put on the last 700 miles. I didn't abuse the bike at all and mileage is really low for transmission failure.

From a quick search online I saw comments on oil and the shift pivot bolt. Modern oil is modern oil is modern oil, but who knows what the PO put in so I changed that out with a Bosch 3300 filter and Rotella T6. I would prefer an oem filter, but it's Sunday so I'm stuck with whatever is available from the local auto supply store. I haven't taken the s10 off-road yet so the shift pivot bolt was clean, but I wiped it off and relubed anyway.

Took the bike out for a 15 minute shakedown and the problem seems to be resolved and shifting is a bit smoother. If it comes up again, I'm taking it to the dealer and using the extended warranty.
FWIW, I have experienced similar to this when oil got old. Do you know for certain that the six hundred mile service, with an oil change, was done?
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #22429
ec90t
Banned

Quote:

My first few outings on my new 2013 had me scratching my head about downshifting. I realized that at times, I hadn't allowed the shifter to completely reset (I was still pushing down on it slightly) before attempting to downshift again.

The cure, adjusted the shifter height and all was good.
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #22430
Sckill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
FWIW, I have experienced similar to this when oil got old. Do you know for certain that the six hundred mile service, with an oil change, was done?
The PO said he did the 600 mile service himself, but I didn't ask if he changed the oil so I'm not certain. Even so, 1650 miles is well below the 4k mile mark for changing oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
My first few outings on my new 2013 had me scratching my head about downshifting. I realized that at times, I hadn't allowed the shifter to completely reset (I was still pushing down on it slightly) before attempting to downshift again.

The cure, adjusted the shifter height and all was good.
Don't think it's my foot since I usually ride with the ball of my foot on the peg. A couple of times when I couldn't get it to shift, I lifted my foot off the shifter and kicked it down a bit harder. Still no luck then.

Maybe it has more to do with the shifter not completely returning to the neutral position. That's probably why some people reported success when they cleaned the shift pivot bolt.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #22431
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The PO said he did the 600 mile service himself, but I didn't ask if he changed the oil so I'm not certain. Even so, 1650 miles is well below the 4k mile mark for changing oil.
The first oil change is due at 600 miles. That is the one that I'm curious about.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #22432
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Maybe it has more to do with the shifter not completely returning to the neutral position. That's probably why some people reported success when they cleaned the shift pivot bolt.
That's usually what the problem is. I have never heard of anything more serious.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #22433
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post

With USD$4000 I can upgrade my Hyper Tenere to the future ... lol
Cheers,
Roberto
Take your wife on a nice trip instead.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #22434
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Your bike is better than a stock 2014. The only difference is the different dashboard, electronic cruise control, and electronic suspension. Dashboard is a moot point, it's aesthetic unless is plugs into the electric widgets. You already have cruise control. Electronic adjustable suspension isn't better than a well sorted aftermarket suspension if it gives you another component to fail in the middle of nowhere and is still undersprung.

Put down the parts catalog and go riding.

Honestly I looked at the new 2014s and they had all the shiny gadgets that I was drooling over when the 1190 came out and all the features I wish my 2012 had. Then I seriously looked at the differences between me well farkled 2012 and then new 2014 and the only noteworthy difference was electronic cruise control and like that I was over it.

Save yourself a few thousands bucks and just make a new tool tube or get one of those stupid gremlin bells.
That's about the same conclusion I arrived at. I also heard from an informal source the some reviewers weren't that crazy about the new electronic suspension, they said (off the record) that even the older style BMW ESA worked better.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #22435
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I was skeptical of those "wild claims" of fuel range no matter how easy you are on the throttle. Until it was revealed they were Colorado miles. That's entirely believable. I was stunned at the mileage I was getting there.

However, for you folks that actually live at those elevations, man you pay a huge performance price for those extended miles.

However, considering the playground, it's worth it. :)
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #22436
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
We lose 3% of our HP per 1000 feet above sea level. My home is at 5800. Do that math!

Lose power? Check
Everything is 100 miles away? Check
Great fuel range? Check
Amazing riding? Check

Give and take!
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #22437
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 225
Left California (sea level) with 35/32PSI in the tires.

3 days later sitting in a hotel in Durango (7000ft) going over the bike. Found 55PSI in both tires, cold!

Never paid attention to this type of thing before. It was riding very rough. Let a bunch of air out and it was normal again.

I will watch it now doing extreme elevation changes.

Ryan
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:53 AM   #22438
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Left California (sea level) with 35/32PSI in the tires.

3 days later sitting in a hotel in Durango (7000ft) going over the bike. Found 55PSI in both tires, cold!
Are you sure it's not just your gauge. How does a tire go up in pressure by reducing the outside pressure?

Makes no sense.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #22439
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Are you sure it's not just your gauge. How does a tire go up in pressure by reducing the outside pressure?

Makes no sense.
Here's the explanation. The relatively small volume of motorcycle tires the effect is more dramatic than car or truck tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=167
Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #22440
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 179
Tiger owners

I would be interested in input from someone that got off a 955i Tiger, onto a ST.

Drop me a PM if you like.

Thanks!

SE