Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #14776
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
A little help for the helpless please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I was lazy when I got the CA Cycleworks pump and just left all the OEM fuel lines as they were. I put the new pump in but left everything else stock. So far so good after a few years and maybe 8,000 miles.
Now that I need the fuel capacity for a May ride with the RMAR group I installed (started the install) the rally raid tanks I've had for awhile. I put it off as long as I could because the idea was to add the tanks, upgrade the regulator/rectifier (rr), and change the fuel pump, and the shock collar, then run tuneecu- time to do this has been hard to find. Looked for ideas on this thread for mounting the mosfet with the tanks and just found one that didn't thrill me (though my way isn't better!). I ended up using the rally raid tank kit rr mount but rotated the plugs to pointing skyward. This required removing some fin meat. But I checked the voltage output with engine running while the old fuel system was still installed and it was fine. It sits in a an area where there is a lot of air movement coming thru the radiator so hopefully it won't miss the cooling area.

I am now attempting to install the CA Cycleworks fuel pump while making the fuel connection change required by the Rally Raid tanks. The problem is that the new hose end that connects to the fuel filter is too f**cking small. Too small as in "it ain't ever going on." Obviously I am going to call CA Cycleworks in the morning and see if they have any ideas. Am I missing something? I suppose it would go on if I trimmed the pipe off the fuel filter so that the nub was removed. That is a bad idea though. BTW, everything is sparkly inside the tank and should be at 2600 miles. The fuel hose furnished with the replacement pump was the black one that resembles the original.

And another thing. Has anyone knocked the fuel outlets off their rally raid (evo2) tanks? Now that they are on the bike they look entirely too exposed.

I remember someone way back in this thread, I think, lamenting that he might be making the bike less reliable by making a bunch of mods. On a road blocked Sunday afternoon I am wondering the same thing.

Mostly I hope I'm missing something so that I can put this thing back together today. But that isn't going to happen until I like the connections.

Ideas and positive comments will be appreciated. I would even take a negative comment if it would solve this issue!

Stuck on Sunday (at least I am in the garage)
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #14777
carlosbarrios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislitt View Post
Now that I need the fuel capacity for a May ride with the RMAR group I installed (started the install) the rally raid tanks I've had for awhile. I put it off as long as I could because the idea was to add the tanks, upgrade the regulator/rectifier (rr), and change the fuel pump, and the shock collar, then run tuneecu- time to do this has been hard to find. Looked for ideas on this thread for mounting the mosfet with the tanks and just found one that didn't thrill me (though my way isn't better!). I ended up using the rally raid tank kit rr mount but rotated the plugs to pointing skyward. This required removing some fin meat. But I checked the voltage output with engine running while the old fuel system was still installed and it was fine. It sits in a an area where there is a lot of air movement coming thru the radiator so hopefully it won't miss the cooling area.

I am now attempting to install the CA Cycleworks fuel pump while making the fuel connection change required by the Rally Raid tanks. The problem is that the new hose end that connects to the fuel filter is too f**cking small. Too small as in "it ain't ever going on." Obviously I am going to call CA Cycleworks in the morning and see if they have any ideas. Am I missing something? I suppose it would go on if I trimmed the pipe off the fuel filter so that the nub was removed. That is a bad idea though. BTW, everything is sparkly inside the tank and should be at 2600 miles. The fuel hose furnished with the replacement pump was the black one that resembles the original.

And another thing. Has anyone knocked the fuel outlets off their rally raid (evo2) tanks? Now that they are on the bike they look entirely too exposed.

I remember someone way back in this thread, I think, lamenting that he might be making the bike less reliable by making a bunch of mods. On a road blocked Sunday afternoon I am wondering the same thing.

Mostly I hope I'm missing something so that I can put this thing back together today. But that isn't going to happen until I like the connections.

Ideas and positive comments will be appreciated. I would even take a negative comment if it would solve this issue!

Stuck on Sunday (at least I am in the garage)
Check out Ddgfarm's post below:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14694

I'm about to dive into this myself, as I also purchased some EVO2 tanks.

Ddgfarm is a friend of mine, and I ended up buying the same filter and pump that he bought. Seems what he did should work fine.
carlosbarrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #14778
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Mounting some auxiliary lights and am looking for a switch to mount on our fat bars. Anyone have a source or ideas, pics of what you did to your dash to run lights etc?
Check out highway dirt bikes top clamps.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #14779
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Just wondering why

There is a quick disconnect in the fuel lines of these 690's? I accidentally broke the quick disconnect on my 2010 and just replaced it with a single length of 5/16 fuel injection hose from tank to injector. Is there a potential problem with this I am not seeing? Thanks.
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #14780
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Yo Bumpamann I did that about 700kms ago and have no troubles yet
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #14781
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
checked out ddgfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbarrios View Post
Check out Ddgfarm's post below:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14694

I'm about to dive into this myself, as I also purchased some EVO2 tanks.

Ddgfarm is a friend of mine, and I ended up buying the same filter and pump that he bought. Seems what he did should work fine.

His use of the Napa 5/16 hose makes sense but the outlet pipe of the ca cycleworks pump is bigger than the Mahler fuel filter in my case. There must be some differences within year models. I hope ca cyclworks has some ideas.

It's sort of coincidental to be conversing with you upstaters. I was in Geneseo earlier this month for a couple of days. It was way, way too cold for this central valley California boy. I like the open, rural country though. It is beautiful.

Thanks for the help.
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #14782
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
For those that installed a billet fuel filler adapter what did you do with the vent hose?
I installed the CJ Designs fuel filler neck on my 2014 yesterday. The CJ has a vent built into the side, so I installed the stock vent hose to that. The stock vent hose goes to the charcoal canister, which I will probably remove in the near future. With the vent on the side of the CJ fuel filler neck, the plastic cap (Acerbis) just has a rubber plug over the top. This means in the future when I take off the charcoal canister, I will just install a one way breather valve on to the CJ vent. You will want to keep it vented to atmosphere if you take the charcoal off, either through the side of the fuel filler neck or the cap.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #14783
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilbaraGoat View Post
Yo Bumpamann I did that about 700kms ago and have no troubles yet
Thanks PG. Anybody else?
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #14784
fluff34567
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Clutch slave cylinder: Oberon or Sigutech? Has anyone tried both and have a favourite?
Spoken and tried both, for me they feel the same.

Check out the pricing- that swings it for me sigutech it is.

Oberon are taking the piss with delivery charges.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #14785
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Check out highway dirt bikes top clamps.
Quote:
Mounting some auxiliary lights and am looking for a switch to mount on our fat bars. Anyone have a source or ideas, pics of what you did to your dash to run lights etc?
This is what I use:

Click here: KTM 950 990 Adventure European Headlight Switch | KTMtwins.com

Advantages -- uses same amount of real estate on the bars as present switch.

I have mine wired to work as follows:

Far right position (the one with the dot) -- only the little running light is on
Middle position -- little running light plus the stock headlight (normal stock operation)
Left position -- same as middle position plus aux lights.

This makes it easy to turn aux lights on and off.

In addition I have the red power switch rewired to turn off all power when in the off position. I did this because the key is hard to reach with my tank bag and my steering stabilizer. Nice as the key is still there for overnight and the red switch disables everything when stopped for a break. Helps prevent running the battery down by having the lights on without the bike running.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #14786
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
rally raid or superplush shock collar

When you replace the shock collar with a billet one from rally raid or superplus you are supposed to put the original retaining ring back on correct?

I had my dealer install the ring and they didn't put the retaining ring back on.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #14787
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
When you replace the shock collar with a billet one from rally raid or superplus you are supposed to put the original retaining ring back on correct?

I had my dealer install the ring and they didn't put the retaining ring back on.
Yes. That is still required to keep the shock collar from rotating and loosening up. Too bad they didn't come up with a collar like the PDS shocks have with locking bolt.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #14788
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Yes. That is still required to keep the shock collar from rotating and loosening up. Too bad they didn't come up with a collar like the PDS shocks have with locking bolt.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #14789
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Spoken and tried both, for me they feel the same.

Check out the pricing- that swings it for me sigutech it is.

Oberon are taking the piss with delivery charges.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Just ordered the Oberon. Price including delivery was 116 (about 140 Euro's) Sigutech was 124 Euro's plus delivery but I couldn't find out what delivery was as their website didn't say and PayPal refused their website anyway .
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #14790
poondangle
Slow

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
I used the Trail tech light switch/harness. Worked great and it was in the $30-$40 range if I remember correctly.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote