User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #61
canadius_maximus OP
Quaere verum - Seek truth

Oddometer: 459
Some work to do ...

So, a bit of a disappointing ride. Only had 30 min tonight - but noted the following:

1) The black dashboard/cockpit plate - vibrates/rubs something/somewhere - making a horrific sound - like a dryerful of nuts and bolts! Have to figure out how/where the contact is - but simply awful-sounding.

2) Clutch - what happened? Even fully pulled in, stalls on engaging into gear. Tried the adjustment screw - only made it worse. Wondering if there's an overtightened clamp/tie somewhere along the way.

3) Rear brakes - almost non-existent - spongy feel, virtually no braking effect.

Additionally, I really underestimated the greater girth - the knees definitely get pushed out. Felt like I was riding a draught horse instead of the polo pony ... Not anything wrong with the kit per se - but have to say, am beginning to wish I had saved up a bit more and bought the EVO 2 ...

Anyway - will spend some time tomorrow on points 1) and 2).

Stay tuned.

CM

KTM 690 R Rally Raid Evo 1 (and 2) Kit Build for Dummies
canadius_maximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #62
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadius_maximus View Post

Additionally, I really underestimated the greater girth - the knees definitely get pushed out. Felt like I was riding a draught horse instead of the polo pony ... Not anything wrong with the kit per se - but have to say, am beginning to wish I had saved up a bit more and bought the EVO 2 ...
That's actually why I chose the EVO1 tanks - it looked to me like I would get better weather protection with them compared to the EVO2.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #63
canadius_maximus OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
That's actually why I chose the EVO1 tanks - it looked to me like I would get better weather protection with them compared to the EVO2.
Interesting rationale, MM. Intuitively, I'd have guessed if your knees are pressed further out in the EVO 1, and the top frontal areas of the fairings are roughly the same, then the EVO 2 would be the better choice weather protection-wise - I guess riding both on a really rainy day would spell out which offers better (or the same) weather protection.

I'm stuck now, but I'm sure I'll find a way to talk myself into liking it more too...

'Got to solve the clutch and brake problems first, though ...

CM

Old 03-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #64
canadius_maximus OP

Well,

Apart from a few small items that are still working their way through the mail, I'm considering this build complete. It was actually done a couple of weeks - just had no time to post.

I think I've posted these - but here goes ...

No, I'll preempt the question - its not pink!! All that's missing are my new rear view mirrors and new brake pedal.

I've been commuting to/from work to get some comfort with it - on the road, it's truly amazing. Fairing does what it needs to - and it's been pouring buckets here.

I've had do a few fuel-ups in the tanks - the stock caps are very finicky/susceptible to cross-thread. To say they suck is an understatement. Need to get some billet jobbies to replace the plastic ones ...

The big date to hit was the annual Spring DSBC ride - which was today. I'm going to be honest - it was hard work at first - the height/weight definitely was a challenge at first. But no drops, no issues, and some great new friends made - great time!

Ride started cold and damp ... but hey, it's March! :lol

Did we have a good ride, or what?

Pit crew approves ....

See it's not pink! :lol! :)

Thanks for all the support and help along the way. If anyone has any questions about the EVO 1 kit, I'm happy to answer posts / PMs / help any way I can.

Stay safe!

CM

canadius_maximus screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 09:24 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #65
carlosbarrios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Nice! Congrats of finishing the build!

One thing I'd suggest: put the stock side fairings ON TOP of the RR fairings. This means you'll have to install the RR fairings first, then the stock fairings over those. The edge of the stock plastics is finished, and the RR edge is not.

I think the shape of the RR fairing was designed to fit under the stock side fairings. You'll see what I mean once you try it.

Cheers!
carlosbarrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #66
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Alternative to the RR Kit

Don't want to hijack your thread, but for anyone interested in something a lot more minimalist compared to the RR kit, give Highway Dirtbikes a look. Paul makes the Rallye Lite fairing.

Here is mine so far...

Just installed the Rallye Lite fairing with a prototype computer mount! Thank you Paul, kit is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

More pics and details at http://therosshallproject.blogspot.com/

EPMD
EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #67
canadius_maximus OP

A new chapter ....

Am doing what I should have done from the outset .... Upgrading to the EVO 2!

So tearing down (UHgain) - though it'll be tanks and side fairings only - EVO 1 / 990 front fairing / light are staying. So it'll be a bit FrankenTM - but it keeps costs manageable.

So on first night - old tanks, side fairing, coil, rectifier, and airbox off.

New coil and rectifier brackets on.... Life is good do far.

Stay tuned ...

CM

EVO 1 tanks and brackets headed to the Flea Market soon ...

canadius_maximus screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 11:59 PM Reason: Adid sum pichers
Old 08-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #68
carlosbarrios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
You'll love it!! I upgraded, and never looked back.
carlosbarrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #69
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,874
Bit late now but here is my Evo 1 build if anyone is interested, now done 30000km since build and the kit is still going strong:

http://www.advridermag.com.au/forum/...lly-Raid-Build

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #70
canadius_maximus OP

So, the EVO 1 -> "almost EVO 2" conversion is done. I call it my "EVO 1.75" because I kept the original EVO 1 light/front fairing.

Sorry - didn't take as many pics on this build - was a lot faster, and since I've got a couple of rides lined up, didn't have too much time for photo dickery. So just reposting these from the EV0 2 thread ...

Time will tell in terms of riding comfort, ruggedness, etc. - but already, I prefer the leaner knee position due to the narrower profile. Some have commented there is more wind protection from that wider EVO stance. Don't know, but really, if we're honest, if max wind protection is the objective, we'd not be on a 690 Enduro, would we?

Much prefer the 2 anchors per side system of the tanks over the singe on the 1.

Barring an instruction manual typo on one of the bolt lengths and a couple of bolts being too long (cut or pick correct size from the OEM Bolt kit) - it's a fairly trouble free install. My left tank leaked badly when I filled it - turns out the tappet O-ring was out of alignment - removed and replaced - all good now.

Thanks John and team.

cm

Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #71
EPMD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I just finished doing up my '14 with Evo 2 tanks. So far enjoying the extra range!

More pics and write up at http://therosshallproject.blogspot.c...installed.html

EPMD is offline   Reply With Quote