Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #15526
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhassic View Post
Ok, I must check out that page, I speak finish but my writing is poor, as my English.
But it seems that I can make me understood anyway. ;)
The funny thing is that I read English better then finish...... Odd....
Well, good thing is then that every finn needs to learn english and swedish at school :) But reallyy didn't get along with my swedish teacher, so didn't learn much :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #15527
aapo
aapo

Oddometer: 153
Well, i knew there was something wrong at intake side. Can't actaully say these are a pair

http://picasaweb.google.com/aapo.saari
aapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #15528
keesperquin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
A question to the experts! I just found a really nice DR800 for not too much money, but the 'problem' is I'm in the running for a job where i need to commute 120km a day, mainly highway. Is a DR800 up to that? It does not have to be super comfy, as long as i can get along with the traffic while not overworking the engine (at lets say 130km/h). Apart from the commute i will use it for some riding in the weekends and some amateur offroading.. Curious what you guys think! Thanks in advance

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
keesperquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #15529
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Hello there,
to Ladder: what I said! F..king cell-phones!

And to Bluesman: He's too cute!!! Iris and me live with Siberian Huskies since 1984. I started with one of these dogs as a company while jogging, got a second one as sled-dogs are pack-dogs and you can't be with your dog as much as a second dog ... So I started dog-mushing in the early nineties, as Jogging with 4 Dogs was too stressing ... ran a 6-dog-team for 1 or 2 years, then because of the age of our eldest two dogs slowly de-graded to 5- and 4-dog-team. All our old dogs spent their retirement in our dog-yard and lived with us until they crossed the raibow-brigde. Time with the 4-dog-team lasted 'til 2000. That year, we lost 3 dogs, 2 of them old ones (so we were prepared) and Tenakee, our wonderful lead-dog, not having reached the age of 9 years. That was a hard strike. Struggled on with a 3 dog-team 2 further years, than had a break of about 2 years because there were only old and sick dogs left. Started again with 2, later 3 dogs pulling a bmx-bicycle. Since dog no. 5 , all our dogs came from Animal-health, thrown away by stupid people who weren't aware of the greatness of these dogs. In the meantime, dog-generation 3 has grown old and gone into retirement. Askan, the one representing generation 4 even died at the age of 7 last Holy Evening! Our saddest Holy Day! All in all, up to this moment, 10 dogs shared their lives with us. Now I won't restart mushing because this would be unfair to young dogs as I reached 57 in January. But I'm sooo fond of sled-dogs!!! Nicest and coolest dogs in the world! Sorry@ all for long off-topic!
Take good care of him and have great fun with him! If in need of advice: Call me! Please be aware, that you can't compare sled-dogs with 'usual' dogs. They're different, more like cats inside their heads!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #15530
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesperquin View Post
A question to the experts! I just found a really nice DR800 for not too much money, but the 'problem' is I'm in the running for a job where i need to commute 120km a day, mainly highway. Is a DR800 up to that? It does not have to be super comfy, as long as i can get along with the traffic while not overworking the engine (at lets say 130km/h). Apart from the commute i will use it for some riding in the weekends and some amateur offroading.. Curious what you guys think! Thanks in advance

Wrong bike for that continuous speed daily won,t last the distance over time .
not a expert though.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #15531
wundis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Howdy,

Well, while we are on that topic, here is what the situation looks like in Lithuania:

When you buy a used BIG from abroad, you have to register it at the local registry office. It costs ~ 20 EUR, including a numberplate, documents and a visual check-up of the bike (they check the VIN, engine numbers). This is a one - time fee.

To register, it has to be insured. For me (29 years, 7 years A-category (motorbike) experience and the 800cc bike) insurance costs ~33 EUR per year.

Then you need to pass technical inspection, which is valid for 2 years and costs ~5 EUR for motorbikes.

Average wage in Lithuania per month is ~ 500 EUR (not sure how it is possible to survive with that sum of money though).

Current fuel price is 1,34 EUR/liter.
wundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 AM   #15532
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:

I was posted 200 miles away from my wife when I served in the RAF, so I would commute 200 miles on the Friday night and do the return trip on a Sunday. Mainly on motorways at 70/80mph. The standard seat is good for about an hour, I had mine re-covered, and you get use to the wind. (Google dr800 daisy for some pictures)

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #15533
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Hello there,
keesperquin asked 'but the 'problem' is I'm in the running for a job where i need to commute 120km a day, mainly Highway.'

Megamoto answered 'I was posted 200 miles away from my wife when I served in the RAF, so I would commute 200 miles on the Friday night and do the return trip on a Sunday. Mainly on motorways at 70/80mph.'

I see a slight difference between the 2 statements ... and it isn't the question about comfort and the seat. I do like (love?) my Big, but I'm not sure if I would trust it enough to throw 120 kms a day at it. I wore out one of our trusty Suzuki GN 400 in 3/4's of a year with 100 kms a day. That equals to about 17.000 kms in that time ... Maintenance will suffer during daily runs or you are very accurat and do this during the weekends. My personal opinion: an elder, bullet-proof four-in-line would be the better choice. That's a pity, if you just have the money for one bike. I'm lucky, that I use my bikes mostly for pleasure and rarely as daily transport. And I'm speaking of bikes (11 together with the ones of my wife) only because of the reason, that we kept the old ones as they wouldn't have brought sufficiant money when selling them after their days. About 7 or 8 out of these 11 are true restauration-projects ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #15534
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Quote:
Apart from the commute i will use it for some riding in the weekends and some amateur offroading.. Curious what you guys think! Thanks in advance

I think you'd be better off with a Honda Transalp or Africa Twin. Both would meet the parameters you set forth.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #15535
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:

IMHO get a Triumph Tiger 800 XC. I did and never looked back. It will do all you mentioned with no fuss and plenty of power to spare. It will be low maintenance, "contemporary" level of fuel consumption and head and shoulders above on brakes, suspension, ABS IS useful in commuting (specially in weather like we have - you in Netherlands me in Belgium), it will be comfy and cheap to insure and tax.

Old bike is old bike, there is no going around it. Recreational, not workhorse.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #15536
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,725
I agree, my post was an indication that it would be possible. But as my neck size went up 2cm whilst I was commuting, I would suggest a TransAlp or any multi with some sort of screen/fairing.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #15537
Donthaveausername
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Grrrrr....People that buy nice bikes just to "flip" them should develop some unsightly facial tick so that no one will trust them again.
Thanks for the good wishes...you're a good bloke for finding out the reason for selling before passing judgement.
Donthaveausername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #15538
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,804
Since I tend to develop emotional ties to my motorcycles, I have a hard time understanding those that do not.

It's also not my intent to track or rationalize every sale of a DR750/800. We all have our own reasons and sometimes the decisions are difficult.

Please accept my apologies for pre-judging and catagorizing.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #15539
stefan rb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhassic View Post
HI!

Have any one changed the way of the rear brake line?
I thougt that it would be smarter to rerout it on the upper side of the sving arm.....
yes...see my rally big. there i change the rear brake hose.

and the home of DR BIG:
www.dr-big-shop.de
stefan rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #15540
titu
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Gear position indicator reloaded

Hi DR riders,

Here are some photos of the gear indicator project that I mentioned a few weeks ago. I ended up modifying the stock neutral sender unit - see pics.
I also installed an eBay universal speedo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ta...8e4cc0&vxp=mtr

It works well, smaller and lighter than the stock unit and has features that I'll never use... :)
Next up is mounting the speed sensor and we should be ready to go.
Can't wait... :)

titu is offline   Reply With Quote